Anyone else do Gluten Free ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: Anyone else do Gluten Free ?

Post by Taipan »

I think it's rare to get surgery to cure a hiatus hernia and you'd have to have a pretty good reason to get it carried out as the symptoms are easily controlled? Just remember to control heartburn at all times as the links between the scarring it causes and esophageal cancer are scary! If I get it bad i'll scoff rennies which normally sorts it, but will taek an omeprazolle if needed, especially if I get heartburn before bed.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:18 pm I think it's rare to get surgery to cure a hiatus hernia and you'd have to have a pretty good reason to get it carried out as the symptoms are easily controlled? Just remember to control heartburn at all times as the links between the scarring it causes and esophageal cancer are scary! If I get it bad i'll scoff rennies which normally sorts it, but will taek an omeprazolle if needed, especially if I get heartburn before bed.
I don't have heartburn and haven't for 3-6 months now. I don't know what the answer is currently mate, but the symptoms are all the same mostly. I've had the full camera jobbie in which she told me its nothing cancerous and also some samples taken from the esophagus which came back fine too. So i'm all a bit confused. Since starting the Omeprazole/Lanzoprazole the heartburn side of things has been 100%.... the throat and the stomach cramp feeling are still pretty much constant.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I know, we're going on about this, arguably more than you guys can answer, but as some seem to have experience and symptoms I thought I'd gi with it.

Today I had a Hobgoblin. Before it I was having a rubbish sort of day with both stomach and throat, not life changing but a usual level of discomfort for me, thus evening after the beer, I'm no worse. So I'm wondering if you'd usually find 1 beer cause a reaction and what others would term as a flare up.
Or realisticalkt would I need more than 1 beer?

I don't want to jump straight into full pasta and bread overload because its actually seeming the GF and lack of bread and pasta is helping on my weight, but if I can put in the odd beer or breaded item, then that would be good.

ASDA delivery arrives tomorrow and has plenty of GF stuff on it, so don't have to jump off the bandwagon at the moment.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Hobgoblin is shite. That made you ill.
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

It really is a “suck it and see”. To know what causes any issues you have to try things out one at a time then hopefully you’ll ID which things you can cope with and which not. At the moment I seem to be stable and not suffering much but for me a lot is to do with my portion size. If I pile it up then the hernia and reflux play up.
I haven’t gone down the GF route yet as the only food that seems to have caused me some issues is pasta. Again though cutting portion size seemed to help that, so it confuses me why sometimes things seem to be OK.
As a starter why not give ordinary toast (2 slices only) a go one morning and see what happens.......
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Are you sure it was the Hobgoblin beer - what else had you eaten that day / previous 24 hours?

The ingredients dec says it contains barley - but most beer will.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:10 am Are you sure it was the Hobgoblin beer - what else had you eaten that day / previous 24 hours?

The ingredients dec says it contains barley - but most beer will.
You missed something in the reading mate. I was saying that having the Hobgoblin didn't seem to make yesterday any worse than previous days, not that the Hobgoblin did .... The question was, "would 1 beer be enough to affect things and cause a spike in things"..

Answer is, i don't know. I'm sticking with the GF stuff for another couple of weeks yet anyway as i've just bought a tonne of meat for the BBQ along with more cider arriving for sipping in the garden :)
Docca

Post by Docca »

I had similar symptoms and was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer. Wrong diagnosis, ended up being polyps in my oesophagus.

I now take esomeperazole due to reflux but that has all but stopped since I stopped drinking beer
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Docca wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:05 pm I had similar symptoms and was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer. Wrong diagnosis, ended up being polyps in my oesophagus.

I now take esomeperazole due to reflux but that has all but stopped since I stopped drinking beer
I had the full camera down the throat and also chunks of esophagus removed for analysis. Nothing came back.

Until yesterday I've not had a beer in a month.

Some cider though
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Bad news is that giving up all alcohol for 3 months completely solved all my gastrointestinal issues - but then again not eating shit and being on a really restrictive diet also helped :)

A major trigger for acid reflux (for me) is alcohol - esp lager (oddly on airplanes) , red wine and whiskey ....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:57 am Bad news is that giving up all alcohol for 3 months completely solved all my gastrointestinal issues - but then again not eating shit and being on a really restrictive diet also helped :)

A major trigger for acid reflux (for me) is alcohol - esp lager (oddly on airplanes) , red wine and whiskey ....
I have no major worry giving up alcohol to be honest. If that's what it takes, that's fine by me. In the past few weeks I've had some ciders, but I could easily have not and just had flavoured water.