Cars on your want list?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Cars on your want list?

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Greenman wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:27 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:20 pm I don't think I've ever seen a Fulvia, I have seen the engine from one though, it was in a Hillman Imp
That must of gone round in cirles!
I'm not sure if it ever got finished, the engine was where the rear seat used to be, so it was mid engined rather than rear engined like an Imp, it was intended to be used for Autocross and used the shell from my old Imp road car which I had donated.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Horse wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:54 pm Citroen Traction Avant

Always liked the look of them. Apart from checking on costs, I have no idea of how practical they are as classics, etc.

One in the pic is advertised for €50k!
Proper French gangster look :thumbup:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

slowsider wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:17 pm

Always liked the look of them. Apart from checking on costs, I have no idea of how practical they are as classics, etc.

IIRC they were also known during the war as the first strike of the French Resistance. The handling could be a bit 'contrary' when pushing on and (allegedly) more than one Gestapo officer found himself upside down in a ditch as a result.

Same thing happened in the Balkans with the pre-war Tatras.
non quod, sed quomodo
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Lancia Fulvias are nice but cramped inside. Me and a mate in one were shoulder to shoulder.
Him and his father are real Lancia fans so have a Fulvia, two Lambdas, a Delta Turbo integralle (spelling?) and a few others I can't remember between them.
My wedding car was one of those Lambdas and looking at the spec it makes Rolls Royce Silver ghosts from about the same time period look fairly run of the mill.Lancia have lots of auto.otive firsts and that one had the first to have unitary chassis and independent suspension if I remember right Looks like an Ant Hill Mob car mind.

For me though, I mostly don't care about cars, just a roof with a wheel on each corner so one I want has to be pretty damn special for me to even give a crap.
So Porsche 917 it is.
Utterly impractical, but just listen to the damn thing.

I've got more chance of a threesome with Marion Cotillard and Cate Blanchett.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Not sure a 917 fits with the 'realistic' element of the OP :D
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:28 pm Not sure a 917 fits with the 'realistic' element of the OP :D
Aye, but mostly I couldn't give a crap about cars and it's got to be very special indeed before it gets my interest.
I would honestly just prefer a van to almost any car on the road and to me a pretty basic van trumps some pretty special cars. Other peoples opinions may differ and thats fine.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Greenman wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:47 pm
G.P wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:46 pm On my want list of modern cars I'd have a Porsche 997 Carrera as a daily driver. Prices seem to have plateaued.

What I'd really like is an Alfa GTA

That Alfa looks wicked
Greenie, see this little beauty made in Clevedon by Alfaholics

Chris Harris doing his grown up stuff - worth a watch,
If my numbers come up, I'll be knocking on their door..
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Maybe an NSX. Don't know if I'd rather have the old one or the new one.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Asian Boss wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:58 pm Maybe an NSX. Don't know if I'd rather have the old one or the new one.
Old one with some of the Mugen goodies on it - but not all, some are gash.
The Martian

Post by The Martian »

G.P wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:38 pm
Greenman wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:47 pm
G.P wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:46 pm On my want list of modern cars I'd have a Porsche 997 Carrera as a daily driver. Prices seem to have plateaued.

What I'd really like is an Alfa GTA

That Alfa looks wicked
Greenie, see this little beauty made in Clevedon by Alfaholics

Chris Harris doing his grown up stuff - worth a watch,
If my numbers come up, I'll be knocking on their door..
That would be bloody ace on the back lanes not far from here :thumbup:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:23 pm
slowsider wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:17 pm

IIRC they were also known during the war as the first strike of the French Resistance. The handling could be a bit 'contrary' when pushing on and (allegedly) more than one Gestapo officer found himself upside down in a ditch as a result.

Same thing happened in the Balkans with the pre-war Tatras.
Just discovered it 'evolved' into a car on my list, the DS. :geek:
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:26 pm
cheb wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:17 pm There's a list of vehicles I'd like to drive purely for fun/curiosity. A rotary engined car, a huge befinned V8 Yank boat and a MAN 8x8 truck come to mind immediately.
I've driven a rotary engined car, I suspect plenty on here have, but mine was quite a comical experience in a Maxda, possibly an RX3 or 4, it rotor tips were worn out and it could barely pull itself along at 30mph revving it's knackers off - it was an automatic, my short drive was from the garage I worked at to the scrap yard, passing through a village centre, I got some weird looks driving along with the rotary whining away at about 10,000 rpm, barely moving and a lot of smoke, it was like a clown car.
Hysterical! I was about to reply to cheb's post about rotary engined cars, specifically my brother's RX3, then I scrolled down to your post.

He bought his new. It was a hoot and pretty damn quick, manual tranny. He was a maniac behind the wheel, slotting the car through some rather scary tight squeezes at speed. It all ended in tears after he slapped a utility pole, catapulted around it, cartwheeled over, landing upside down spinning like a top down the road. The pole was planted in the bottom of a roadside ditch. The car swung round the backside of the pole leaving what looked like a windshield wiper mark in place. One of the front fenders was left on the ground near the pole, the rest of the car stopped a couple hundred yards or so down the hill away from the pole, still in the middle of the road. His hands wrapped the wheel around the column and his head dug into the windscreen leaving a nice gouge in his forehead. I had to open containers for him for the better part of a week as he couldn't grip anything due to bruising. His right knee bent the shift lever too.

His driving habits changed dramatically for some strange reason. :shock:
Eventually he got an RX7 a few cars later and that was pretty quick too.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

derek badger wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:10 pm I'd love another 240 estate. Preferably the Torslanda version.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240-To ... SwyG1fWhWk

An ex-girlfriend's father had one, hand me down to the ex. It was a bit older, mid 1970s IIRC. Handled like a massive wet sponge.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I have a curious love of a big Volvo. Proper Swedish ones that is, both the ones I've had were Fords really.

850R is the obvious choice.

But I could go for a land based oil tanker 940 too.

Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:50 pm I have a curious love of a big Volvo. Proper Swedish ones that is, both the ones I've had were Fords really.

850R is the obvious choice.
The BTCC version would make a fine family runabout. :D
The Martian

Post by The Martian »

Something else I'd like is a decent original mini cooper, had one many years ago (well the ex wife did but I fettled it and hooned about in it :twisted: ) it was a great thing to play in and not at licence losing speeds either. Road legal go kart :thumbup:
Potter

Post by Potter »

demographic wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:51 pm
So Porsche 917 it is.
Utterly impractical, but just listen to the damn thing.
If you like noise then I've never heard better than this - posted by RB on another thread.
I think I've just added this to my list...

Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:50 pm I have a curious love of a big Volvo. Proper Swedish ones that is, both the ones I've had were Fords really.

That's not a proper Volvo! This is a proper Volvo!

Horse

Post by Horse »

Just as well no-one has said 'SAAB then :)

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
millemille

Post by millemille »

Not winning the lottery; quite happy with my 67 plate Citroen Dispatch van. Basic boggo white with no stickers or sign writing. Got pretty much all the toys in the cab though. Currently averaging 48.7 to the gallon, done about 80,000 miles in it in the last two and a half years. Only needs servicing every 25,000 miles and - touch wood - has been pretty reliable up to now; only needing a sticky injector replacing a couple of months ago. A 1.6 twin turbo engine, with a 6 speed box, knocking out about 110bhp but plenty fast enough. @Couchy's superduper transit with it's much larger engine and associated fuel consumption couldn't drop it when we did a foot-to-the-floor run back from BPW to the midlands.

Winning the lottery; I'd still have a van as a daily driver but I'd also have two taking-the-piss cars for shits and giggles...

I'd find the best condition body JDM wide arch Toyota Celica GT4 ST185 and hand it over to someone like Japex or Abbey Motorsport with a suitcase full of cash and instruct them to build me the best road legal tarmac rally spec car they could. Strip the interior out, full roll cage, bucket seats, race harness, fuel cell in the boot, intercom etc. Shed a load of weight; plastic windows, manual winders, composite bonnet and tailgate and the like. 300bhp at the wheels with a MoTeC ECU and dash. Uprated brakes. Lots of money thrown at the suspension and running gear. Plain white. Back road hooliganism, track days and trips to the 'ring.

A BMW M5 touring, the V10 engined one. No badges, lose the alloys and get a set of steels made. Make it look, as far as possible, like an unloved basic no-frills dog bus. Maybe even follow the Volvo BTCC team's example from BITD and put a stuffed Labrador in the back. Never wash it. Stealth speed.