Nakagami on Crutchlow

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
weeksy
Site Admin

Nakagami on Crutchlow

Post by weeksy »

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/95003 ... incredible

That's quite a nice write up and things from Taka, seems he respects Cal highly.
Yorick

Re: Nakagami on Crutchlow

Post by Yorick »

Yup, was reading that earlier :)
Skub

Post by Skub »

That race Naka led briefly before crashing out,I wonder did Cal help him with that too? :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

To be fair to Cal there hasnt been a team mate in any of the teams he has ridden with that i can remember who had any "openly known" problem with him and most come across as liking the bloke. Even when battling with Miller he still referred to him as his daughter Willows Uncle Jack :thumbup:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Interesting read. I first saw Crutchlow in the R6 cup back in the days when I still went to BSB races and followed his progress. He's always come over as a bit of a miserable git when interviewed, but that paints a very different side of him.

I don't think he's got nearly enough credit for what he achieved on two wheels either.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

First, anyone who has a MotoGP ride is an incredible and committed racer, the days of "making up the numbers" are long gone
The few Grand Prix racers I've met I thought were miserable gits when they were racing, but turned out to be really nice blokes, I think the stress of racing at that level makes people stressed, and northern European and American riders aren't good at hiding that stress in a way that some Italian and Spanish riders appear to be able to do.

But Neil Hodgson is a dick.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:49 am
Did he turn you down for an autograph? :lol:
Walt Whitman
Le_Fromage_Grande

Skub wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:00 pm
No, I think it would have made is day, he's a lot full of himself.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:11 pm
Skub wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:00 pm
No, I think it would have made is day, he's a lot full of himself.
I've not met him in the flesh,though,he comes across kinda ok on BT sport,but sometimes real life can show a different side.
Walt Whitman
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:49 am First, anyone who has a MotoGP ride is an incredible and committed racer, the days of "making up the numbers" are long gone
The few Grand Prix racers I've met I thought were miserable gits when they were racing, but turned out to be really nice blokes, I think the stress of racing at that level makes people stressed, and northern European and American riders aren't good at hiding that stress in a way that some Italian and Spanish riders appear to be able to do.

I worked with him many times and he's a top lad.
Great with the punters and us lesser instructors ;)

Seriously, always down to earth and easy to chat to. We didn't become best pals, but we got on alright :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Skub wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:18 pm I've not met him in the flesh,though,he comes across kinda ok on BT sport,but sometimes real life can show a different side.
That's not far off how he was in real life the time I met him, he liked him talking about himself
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:26 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:49 am First, anyone who has a MotoGP ride is an incredible and committed racer, the days of "making up the numbers" are long gone

I worked with him many times and he's a top lad.
Great with the punters and us lesser instructors ;)

Seriously, always down to earth and easy to chat to. We didn't become best pals, but we got on alright :)
I don't know him as well as Yozza but have met him a number of times when working on the MotoGP Tech teams and always found him good company. Engaging, enquiring, interested and quite a good laugh! I have to say that he also seems to be very popular with a lot of people around the paddock - obviously people he's worked with historically etc. In fact I would go as far as to say the Brits seem to be much better at building those relationships than most of the other nationalities. Scott Redding was much loved, and Sam, Cal and Brad were very popular.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I revoke my "Neil Hodgson is a dick" comment based on further evidence, perhaps he was just having an off day, or had just got sick of people asking him inane questions.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:10 pm I revoke my "Neil Hodgson is a dick" comment based on further evidence, perhaps he was just having an off day, or had just got sick of people asking him inane questions.
When he was taking a fast rider round, I'd often tag along for the ride. It was a pleasure just to ride so close and you could see why he was world champ.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:26 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:10 pm I revoke my "Neil Hodgson is a dick" comment based on further evidence, perhaps he was just having an off day, or had just got sick of people asking him inane questions.
When he was taking a fast rider round, I'd often tag along for the ride. It was a pleasure just to ride so close and you could see why he was world champ.
What sort of effort do you think he's putting in at times like that ?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Once at Cartegena, he was regaling us about a story from the day before. He went as passenger in the course car with Fat Kevin. He queried the strange lines that FK was taking. FK said "I'm on the racing line" and NH disagreed. A little discussion took place which culminating with NH saying "How many times have you been world champion ?"

FK conceded defeat :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:29 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:26 pm
What sort of effort do you think he's putting in at times like that ?
Probably naff all, while I was at my limit :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Once on the national circuit, he came past me on the back straight. I braked soon after and he didn't.
I thought "he's braking late"
Then I thought "he's braking REALLY late. That's why he was world champ"
When he finally braked he had the whole bike side to side and looked cool, until he ran straight on ;)

Obviously I slowed right down so he could see me laughing :D

He pulled straight in the pits and I followed. After we took our helmets off, I put my arm round him and said "Neil. Neil my boy. I thought you'd know by now that you need to turn right at the end of the straight" He was nearly crying laughing and a small crowd appeared :D

I said it looked cool when he had it side ways. He said "cool ? I was shitting myself" :D

I turned to the little crowd and said summat like "He fucked up trying to pass me "

He answered "Yes Yorick, you were just too fast for me" I smiled and nodded to the onlookers and walked off feeling like a God :mrgreen:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

While I'm on a roll ;)

He bought a new car and the sales lady recognised him and asked him for a ride round Donington. She turned up on a day I was there.

NH was using one of the S1000RR hire bikes with just a single seat. So he asked me if he could borrow mine with a pillion seat.

I looked him straight in the eyes and said " Are you any good? " Made him chuckle a bit ;)

Was ace to see him do a wheelie the full length of the straight with her on the back. But my camera missed it :( She came in and couldn't speak :mrgreen:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:51 pm While I'm on a roll ;)

He bought a new car and the sales lady recognised him and asked him for a ride round Donington. She turned up on a day I was there.

NH was using one of the S1000RR hire bikes with just a single seat. So he asked me if he could borrow mine with a pillion seat.

I looked him straight in the eyes and said " Are you any good? " Made him chuckle a bit ;)

Was ace to see him do a wheelie the full length of the straight with her on the back. But my camera missed it :( She came in and couldn't speak :mrgreen:
MRs weeksy is the same when she sees me riding too... but i'm not sure if it's for the same reasons.