Heated Kit

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
The Spin Doctor

Re: Heated Kit

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Beancounter wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:16 am
Even in Summer I'll still take my heated kit with me on a long trip. :D
Likewise. The year I didn't bother, the temperature went from 26c in N Italy in early June to -5 as I tried (and failed) to ride back over the Alps as heavy snow started to fall. I ended up diverting via the Frejus tunnel. It was only bloody cold and pissing down at lower altitude.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:07 pm
Horse wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:33 pm
The EXO2 switches itself on and off. No idea how :) It's like having a heat massage as the different panels switch on and off.
Mine doesn't. Looks like a thermal cut out, which seems to have been cut out - probably to save on costs.
No, it's the actual material.

Heating via the unique FabRoc® polymeric technology...'Heat-Surround' experience providing a constant, self-regulating 50°C heat output.

Just as you think "that's warm" it switches off until it cools.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Horse wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:08 am You must eat a shed load of Ready Brek ...
Tried it as a kid, hated it and never eaten it since. I rarely eat breakfast at any time ...even when it was an offence in HM Forces to skip it ;)
Beancounter wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:16 am
Even in Summer I'll still take my heated kit with me on a long trip. :D
Wuss, you are supposed to be Scottish, raised in the northern frozen wasteland ;)
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:26 pm Tried it as a kid, hated it and never eaten it since. I rarely eat breakfast at any time ...even when it was an offence in HM Forces to skip it.
I must now bore you all with a story. My dad did National Service 1947-49 and one of his comrades-in-arms tried to get his ticket out of the Army by skipping breakfast, so he regularly fainted on parade.

Instead of invaliding him out, they put him on an intensive bodybuilding course, which was like Army camp life except ten times worse.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

I have owned my XO2 jacket for a few years now, and would not be without it. Very thin heating panels that keep all the important organs from freezing. Keeping your core warm keeps your extremities warm.

I used to ride with just a tee shirt under my bike jacket until I tested the X02, then I realised what a silly thing to do that was.....
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:26 pm Wuss, you are supposed to be Scottish, raised in the northern frozen wasteland ;)
Indeed however whilst I agree Irvine is a wasteland, it wasn’t really frozen. :(
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

I have a Keis bodywarmer (gilet) and I'm very happy with it. Not sure when I bought it - maybe 5 or 6 years ago - but I think it was £100 on special offer, including the battery pack.
I see the women's version of that is £155 (or £177 with battery):
https://keisapparel.com/collections/hea ... mium-b501w
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Much Yorkshiremanness here! :thumbup:

https://tinyurl.com/bygumcheapheatedstuff
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:54 am Much Yorkshiremanness here! :thumbup:

https://tinyurl.com/bygumcheapheatedstuff
Some Yorkshiremen don't need it ;)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Not that anyone cares, but in the end I consulted the Bread Knife about which she'd prefer (easier than sending it back after Crimbo).

She picked the Blaze Women's Active Gillet, she picked it over the Kies mainly because it didn't have a collar, so would fit under a proper jacket better.

She's Elf and Fairies at a large SEND college site so spends some time outside where it'll get used more so than on the bike.

https://www.blazewear.com/our-gear/gile ... -black-kit
Funners

Post by Funners »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:05 am My instructor colleagues all have some sort of heated kit ranging from heated insoles, gillets, gloves etc etc as we spend all day in all weathers out on the bikes ..... my only input is heated grips as never felt the need for much else

We all turned up today after lockdown and they were agast as they all had a minimum of 4 layers on , some 5 and 1 had 6, Apparently i am weird as all i had on was a T shirt and my Dainese Carve Master 2 piece goretex which is quite thin but i finally had given in and had the quilted liner inserted. Wearing summer unlined A stars SP gloves but with heated grips. :D

Half the day on the road today, saturated as it was biblical rain and wind but i felt warm and fine and the Oxford heated grips made such a difference my big winter gloves are now redundant
yeah but....... ;)
yoose is Skotch......
this is SUMMER for yoose..... :P

:lol:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bought an adaptor to allow me to plug my Keis vest into the socket I use for the optimate. Cuts down on another set of wires coming from the battery. Keeps it all neater.

Very useful for eight quid.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/399749
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

I've got some Gerbring XRL heated gloves that I used for winter commuting on the KTM last year and they were very good, 3Ah battery in each cuff would do about 3hrs worth of commuting on low/medium before charging was required. The only negative was that one particular wire across the palm would dig into a scar I've got running across it on long trips and could get quire sore at the end of a long run (+60mins).

I haven't used them this winter as the ZH2 has heated grips and I'm trying not too to ride it in the crappy weather as it collects dirt like that grubby kid with his own dust clad in Charlie Brown cartoons.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."