Heated Kit

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
KungFooBob

Heated Kit

Post by KungFooBob »

Might buy the wife some heated kit for Crimbo, lucky her!

She wants something she can wear when not only on the bike, but out and about too.

I see the Keis stuff, that you can connect to the bike or use a battery pack, but the full with batteries and controllers is quite expensive.

Blaze have some really good pricing on their bike kit, but it only works on a bike, I assume this is because it's 12v.

I'm a tightwad.

https://www.blazewear.com/our-gear/moto-jacket-liner

Could i make a portable 12v battery pack that'll work with the 12v bike kit so it can be used off the bike, looks to use standardish connectors?
The Spin Doctor

Re: Heated Kit

Post by The Spin Doctor »

If you've got a portable 12v power source, it'll work. You can get pretty small 12 v lithium batteries. But frankly, by the time you've added the cost of the batteries to the cost of the liner, i'll work out at much the same price.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:49 pm If you've got a portable 12v power source, it'll work. You can get pretty small 12 v lithium batteries. But frankly, by the time you've added the cost of the batteries to the cost of the liner, i'll work out at much the same price.
I dunno, the Keis stuff is £200 before you add a battery and a controller.
Funners

Post by Funners »

As above, in theory it should be doable if you are competent with electronics, plug wise most heated kit seems to use the Co-ax style of connector, certainly the Powerlet/Gerbing stuff I have is all interchageable,
I also have a Keis wiastcoat for the Mrs and a battery pack, this works well and we have zero complaints apart from the wiring to the controller which is fragile, I do believe they have sorted this on the later models tho.
with regards running on bettery power, for a full jacket youwould need a 10Ah Lion battery and suitable charger (i'm going off Gerbings recommendations) and yes thats gonna cost, plus the appropriate connecting lead (or parts if you make it) so any savings on a cheaper clothing item may be offset by purchasing a battery pack
YUASA and a shopping trolley as above ! :mrgreen:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Maybe I'll just buy her the proper kit.... she's worth it :sick:

Might buy the Blaze liner for me just for the bike, it's by far the cheapest I've seen.
Funners

Post by Funners »

Its a nightmare with all the potential costs with bluetooth controllers etc
fixed controllers are OK but a pain to fit to the bike
Bluetooth cost more but at least no fitting is required

Good Luck.... :thumbup:
The Spin Doctor

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:55 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:49 pm If you've got a portable 12v power source, it'll work. You can get pretty small 12 v lithium batteries. But frankly, by the time you've added the cost of the batteries to the cost of the liner, i'll work out at much the same price.
I dunno, the Keis stuff is £200 before you add a battery and a controller.
I thought you were referring to their own self-contained gilets - £150... https://www.blazewear.com/our-gear/gile ... -black-kit

I've got an Exo2 Stormrider and it's perfectly good at half the price of the Keis.
The Spin Doctor

Funners wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:15 pm Its a nightmare with all the potential costs with bluetooth controllers etc

Whatever happened to an inline on/off switch. "Hmm... getting warm" Off... "Now I'm getting chilly again" On. :think:
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:01 pm
Funners wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:15 pm Its a nightmare with all the potential costs with bluetooth controllers etc

Whatever happened to an inline on/off switch. "Hmm... getting warm" Off... "Now I'm getting chilly again" On. :think:
The EXO2 switches itself on and off. No idea how :) It's like having a heat massage as the different panels switch on and off.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've just been looking for EXO2 stuff, looks like they don't sell it to the UK anymore?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Maybe consider a base-layer rather than an overlayer?

https://warmnsafe.co.uk/warmnsafe-7.4v- ... _rewrite=1
non quod, sed quomodo
Skub

Post by Skub »

The Keis waistcoat thingy is brill. I used mine through the Winter months on the scoot.

Sure it's only money,do it right and get it bought. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

J&S accessories are doing the Keis 5200ma battery plus charger for £73. Wore my gillet on site today plugged in on medium for about 6 hrs.
I have both the long sleeve jacket and gillet and you do get a 2 year warranty on the jackets. Only 6 months on the batteries though
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:10 pm Maybe I'll just buy her the proper kit.... she's worth it :sick:

Might buy the Blaze liner for me just for the bike, it's by far the cheapest I've seen.
My missus and I have been using Blaze heated jacket liners for about two years now. They don’t feel as quality an item as my Keis heated gilet but the Blaze stuff is noticeably warmer. It also connects to my Gerbing heated gloves though there is an issue with the gloves just switch on and are not controlled by the jacket’s switch. I’ve got a spare XL if you want to try before you buy.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

maccecht wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:12 pm J&S accessories are doing the Keis 5200ma battery plus charger for £73. Wore my gillet on site today plugged in on medium for about 6 hrs.
I have both the long sleeve jacket and gillet and you do get a 2 year warranty on the jackets. Only 6 months on the batteries though
I might have to buy that, the missus is concerned using her heated jacket on her 125 will muller the battery.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

My instructor colleagues all have some sort of heated kit ranging from heated insoles, gillets, gloves etc etc as we spend all day in all weathers out on the bikes ..... my only input is heated grips as never felt the need for much else

We all turned up today after lockdown and they were agast as they all had a minimum of 4 layers on , some 5 and 1 had 6, Apparently i am weird as all i had on was a T shirt and my Dainese Carve Master 2 piece goretex which is quite thin but i finally had given in and had the quilted liner inserted. Wearing summer unlined A stars SP gloves but with heated grips. :D

Half the day on the road today, saturated as it was biblical rain and wind but i felt warm and fine and the Oxford heated grips made such a difference my big winter gloves are now redundant
Horse

Post by Horse »

You must eat a shed load of Ready Brek ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:05 am My instructor colleagues all have some sort of heated kit ranging from heated insoles, gillets, gloves etc etc as we spend all day in all weathers out on the bikes ..... my only input is heated grips as never felt the need for much else

We all turned up today after lockdown and they were agast as they all had a minimum of 4 layers on , some 5 and 1 had 6, Apparently i am weird as all i had on was a T shirt and my Dainese Carve Master 2 piece goretex which is quite thin but i finally had given in and had the quilted liner inserted. Wearing summer unlined A stars SP gloves but with heated grips. :D

Half the day on the road today, saturated as it was biblical rain and wind but i felt warm and fine and the Oxford heated grips made such a difference my big winter gloves are now redundant
Even in Summer I'll still take my heated kit with me on a long trip. :D
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:33 pm
The EXO2 switches itself on and off. No idea how :) It's like having a heat massage as the different panels switch on and off.
Mine doesn't. Looks like a thermal cut out, which seems to have been cut out - probably to save on costs.
The Spin Doctor

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:48 pm I've just been looking for EXO2 stuff, looks like they don't sell it to the UK anymore?
That'll be BigYin's fault - all that tough nut "I've got heated grips and don't need heated clothing" nonsense. ;)

They've gone back to their Yank market... they know that riders out there just want to stay toasty!