Zwift, riding and racing.... update thread, info thread, motivational thread.

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Zwift, riding and racing.... update thread, info thread, motivational thread.

Post by weeksy »

As many will know, i do a fair bit of indoor cycling on Zwift, especially over winter, maybe even more so now with the current virus situation.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/profile.php?z=164586

That's my profile there, I'm what's known as a strong C... fast and strong in the Watts, but too heavy to compete in B. But i really do enjoy the immersive nature of Zwift racing !!!

This video should show you what it's all about... It's the competitive aspect, the pushing yourself to the limit, time and time again. All the other people in the race are (in theory) real people, also sitting in the garage, workout room, gym, wherever, you're racing real people and doing your best to win

v8-powered

Re: Zwift, riding and racing.... update thread, info thread, motivational thread.

Post by v8-powered »

I was going to go for Zwift but missus had her heart set on a Peloton so ended up with that instead.
Hoping someone smart will find a way of running Zwift on the Peloton...
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Zwift, riding and racing.... update thread, info thread, motivational thread.

Post by weeksy »

Wouldn't surprise me at all mate... HAve you tried/googled ?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

weeksy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:16 pm Wouldn't surprise me at all mate... HAve you tried/googled ?
A few people Stateside have done it but a bit of a faff by all accounts, will wait for someone bright to come up with an easy solution.....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Stage 3 race today, including up the Volcano KOM.

Interesting one as i rarely do that.

PR before today for Corkscrew was 9mins 50.
Today i put in a 9mins 05

Now considering i’ve tried pretty hard on the hill previously too, i’m very happy with that indeed.

Gold and a race win too
https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=356879
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Image2020-03-23_01-21-39 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=366977

Race didn't suit me at all but a 4th isn't bad in a decent sized field.
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

weeksy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:08 am As many will know, i do a fair bit of indoor cycling on Zwift, especially over winter, maybe even more so now with the current virus situation.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/profile.php?z=164586

That's my profile there, I'm what's known as a strong C... fast and strong in the Watts, but too heavy to compete in B. But i really do enjoy the immersive nature of Zwift racing !!!

This video should show you what it's all about... It's the competitive aspect, the pushing yourself to the limit, time and time again. All the other people in the race are (in theory) real people, also sitting in the garage, workout room, gym, wherever, you're racing real people and doing your best to win

I use Myetraining and have an elite smart trainer. I prefer this as I have access to hundreds of free videos from around the world that track GPS elevation pretty accurately. I have also mapped my own rides. Works for me :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Killer race today ! FTP increase to 291w

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=456019
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

joe19

Post by joe19 »

Woot!

Nice one.

Getting dangerously close to Bs??
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

joe19 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:42 pm Woot!

Nice one.

Getting dangerously close to Bs??
My current level is 3.19

limit is 3.20

LOL i think if i'd have got 1w more i'd have been kicked.

What was interesting is that i was on a road bike... I've borrowed it for this weekend so me and my lad can both ride at same time... so interesting that
joe19

Post by joe19 »

If I every stop cycling again ... punch me in the face.

Just did a slow group ride which turned into an FTP test given my levels of fitness

Always wondered what my 'unfit FTP' is ... now I know! 170w / 2.44 w/kg

:sick:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

joe19 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:39 pm If I every stop cycling again ... punch me in the face.

Just did a slow group ride which turned into an FTP test given my levels of fitness

Always wondered what my 'unfit FTP' is ... now I know! 170w / 2.44 w/kg

:sick:
I'm proper curious to know why you did stop mate?

I can't see a world where I don't cycle. Me and my boy have just been messing in the close doing jumps on a ramp, admittedly him better than me, but I'm 48 and 3 crazy strong ciders in after BBQ. But as you know, I Zwift because it makes me a better MTB rider. Is there something missing in the road stuff that made you stop cycling ? Or? If it's personal we don't need to know of course, but I'm deeply curious.

I've said it before, if I had to give one or the other up between pedals and motorcycles, I'm throwing the KTM keys in the bin tomorrow. As much as I love it, pedals are extraordinary in comparison.
joe19

Post by joe19 »

Ah bit of a story there!

So I took up Brazilian jiu jitsu about 14 months ago and really got into. But you get absolutely battered, and I found the fitness I had from cycling was more than enough for the sport. Plus I was trying to lose weight and actually dropped from 174lbs (Dec 2018) to 147 (Oct 2019). Pre-cycling I was 200lb+, so 174 was already a 'low' number for me. When I was racing IRL doing the cat4s I was 174bs.

So I was just getting pulled between:

BJJ
Cycling
Gym
Weight Loss

I actually found it easier to loose weight whilst not cycling as I didn't have to worry about power numbers. Just went on long walks - 15-20k steps a day.

I'm a little torn on where to go from here. I think if I commit to cycling I could perhaps hit 4 w/kg which would be a nice goal. But I was putting a lot of effort in those days - taking my bike and turbo to hotels for example.

In 6-8 weeks my FTP will be back to around 220 and 3.1 w/kg

The goal for 4 w/kg would be 65kg and 275 20 min power.Timescales would be 24 months I expect.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

joe19 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 pm Ah bit of a story there!

So I took up Brazilian jiu jitsu about 14 months ago and really got into. But you get absolutely battered, and I found the fitness I had from cycling was more than enough for the sport. Plus I was trying to lose weight and actually dropped from 174lbs (Dec 2018) to 147 (Oct 2019). Pre-cycling I was 200lb+, so 174 was already a 'low' number for me. When I was racing IRL doing the cat4s I was 174bs.

So I was just getting pulled between:

BJJ
Cycling
Gym
Weight Loss

I actually found it easier to loose weight whilst not cycling as I didn't have to worry about power numbers. Just went on long walks - 15-20k steps a day.

I'm a little torn on where to go from here. I think if I commit to cycling I could perhaps hit 4 w/kg which would be a nice goal. But I was putting a lot of effort in those days - taking my bike and turbo to hotels for example.

In 6-8 weeks my FTP will be back to around 220 and 3.1 w/kg

The goal for 4 w/kg would be 65kg and 275 20 min power.Timescales would be 24 months I expect.
I think passion and desire are the thing that stands out there, you're a guy who goes all in on whatever it is. Is that cycling or something else! I don't know.

But you've got to love it, got to feel it. Or it won't happen.

Stop it from being a chore, you're half way there.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I've been organising 'group' rides on Zwift along with another forum. They start off at a reasonable pace, but the last 15-20 mins are flat out race pace.

Last night in the last 20 i averaged 175bpm with a max of 179... My absolute limit is 184bpm. It was a proper tough one, but driven on by male ego and pride, any other day i'd have bailed 10 mins earlier than i did last night... purely through pride of staying with my peers.

Need a day or two of rest now though.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'd ease up a bit if I was you... 😮
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:55 am I'd ease up a bit if I was you... 😮
You ease up, you lose the race.... In what world is easing up allowed ? As it happens i lost anyhow as we hit a small incline and pulling my massive bulk up the incline isn't as easy as it is for the skinny fellas so i got dropped.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

My max bpm is 220 minus age 53...then 80ish % of that. I forget but something like 140 tops for me. That's just exercise bike, not racing.
Yamaha rocket 3
joe19

Post by joe19 »