Tyre question..

Anything you like about motorbikes
Dickyboy

Re: Tyre question..

Post by Dickyboy »

Going off topic, just ordered a pair of Metzler Roadtec 01 tyres & they have arrived but the front is an 01 SE & the rear is a plain 01 - is this likely to be a major problem?
They'll be replacing the faux off road tyres on my Morini 1200 scrambler..
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Dickyboy wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 5:20 pm Going off topic, just ordered a pair of Metzler Roadtec 01 tyres & they have arrived but the front is an 01 SE & the rear is a plain 01 - is this likely to be a major problem?
They'll be replacing the faux off road tyres on my Morini 1200 scrambler..
No problem. Mixing tyres from different manufacturers is a lottery, but front and back from same manufacturer and (effectively) same model will be fine. You have the better/newer/stickier tyre on the front, so all good. I fitted a Sportsmart on the front to my VFR and a Roadsmart on the back as the tyre section I wanted was only available in Roadsmart - no dramas and the rear is scuffed all the way to the edge.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Sportsmarts have been replaced by Roadsmarts, I can't remember what combination of Dunlops are on my Honda, but they work fine.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 7:56 am
Where did I say totally square? I said 'going off'. If you're telling me your old 8k mile tyre is the same profile as a brand new then fair enough, but I get the feeling you're just picking and nothing I say will make a difference.
OK, fair enough. I used to ride on tyres till they were totally worn out and never bothered about it.

But if your profile is going off, maybe you're not riding hard enough.

That was a joke by the way.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:47 pm
Supermofo wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 7:56 am
Where did I say totally square? I said 'going off'. If you're telling me your old 8k mile tyre is the same profile as a brand new then fair enough, but I get the feeling you're just picking and nothing I say will make a difference.
OK, fair enough. I used to ride on tyres till they were totally worn out and never bothered about it.

But if your profile is going off, maybe you're not riding hard enough.

That was a joke by the way.
After all that the tyres felt OK last couple of rides and taking a look today I don't actually think the profile is too bad at all so I'm talking out my arse :lol: near 5800 miles on that and a fair bit left.

Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Nothing wrong with that. The wear bars are still miles away.
Druid

Post by Druid »

The Road 6 have really deep treads, no wonder they last so long

@ Dickyboy I used to fit Bridgestone 010 (sports compound) to the front and 020 (touring) to the rear of my VFR, it was a commonly recomended mod back in the day
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

Thanks Druid & Mangocrazy, getting them fitted to the mighty Morini tomorrow, gonna be a relief to bin the faux off road tyres from it - having the front squealing braking into bends is not exactly confidence inspiring.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Druid wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2024 3:03 pm The Road 6 have really deep treads, no wonder they last so long

@ Dickyboy I used to fit Bridgestone 010 (sports compound) to the front and 020 (touring) to the rear of my VFR, it was a commonly recomended mod back in the day
You've just reminded me I used to do that on my blade years ago. Makes sense as long as the stickier tyre is on the front. I ran that combo for years.

And yeah the Road tyres are pretty deeply treaded. Mine are 5s but similar I imagine