What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by cheb »

Helped lay several cubic metres of concrete, 3 to 4 I think. What was very pleasing though was there being only about a wheelbarrow's worth over once the various areas were filled and tamped.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Skub wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:08 pm My Stepmum died today and I had to break the news to my Dad. Not the best day ever.

Covid restrictions are making the funeral arrangements very difficult,I feel like I've spent the day wading through treacle.
Sorry Skub :(
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Condolences Skub, never a good thing to go through. :(
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Had our new french doors fitted today. Happy wife, happy life. :D
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Put the winter boots on the dadmobile

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

That looks, errrm functional.

Who am j to talk though, I've got a Mondeo
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I had a friend who used to love the look of black steel wheels on cars... because that's what all the unmarked cars on The Bill had.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:59 pm That looks, errrm functional.

Who am j to talk though, I've got a Mondeo
Functional, and free. 150K and still going strong.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Went to my Step Dads and cut his dogs claws and then put him up some of the fantastic solar lights i've convinced everyone to get. Then over to the in-laws to install a Ring doorbell for them. Back home now and have to put my gazebo back up, but that will be after a siesta! Since being furloughed I've got right into a half hour nap in the afternoon! :D
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Horse wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:04 am Condolences to both of you.
And the same from me.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 pm but that will be after a siesta! Since being furloughed I've got right into a half hour nap in the afternoon! :D
It's the law here :mrgreen:
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Taipan wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 pm Went to my Step Dads and cut his dogs claws and then put him up some of the fantastic solar lights i've convinced everyone to get. Then over to the in-laws to install a Ring doorbell for them. Back home now and have to put my gazebo back up, but that will be after a siesta! Since being furloughed I've got right into a half hour nap in the afternoon! :D
I know I’ve asked before, what solar lights are they, I need some.
Mick
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just been looking at big tellies. Fuck me, ya can get a 70" Samsung for under €600 :mrgreen:

Got to look at online reviews now as they don't give you a trial period.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

636mick wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:59 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 pm Went to my Step Dads and cut his dogs claws and then put him up some of the fantastic solar lights i've convinced everyone to get. Then over to the in-laws to install a Ring doorbell for them. Back home now and have to put my gazebo back up, but that will be after a siesta! Since being furloughed I've got right into a half hour nap in the afternoon! :D
I know I’ve asked before, what solar lights are they, I need some.
Mick
I've put these ones in for the olds. They light paths really well considering they are battery power. Obviously they aren't going to floodlight your whole garden but they are a world apart from the normal solar LED lights.

*edit* They've shot up in price? They were £18.79 delivered the other week?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

The price on that looks volatile, worth waiting a few days.
https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07H575GYP
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Mussels wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:08 pm The price on that looks volatile, worth waiting a few days.
Never come across that before, useful tool, cheers.
Mick
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

636mick wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:18 pm
Mussels wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:08 pm The price on that looks volatile, worth waiting a few days.
Never come across that before, useful tool, cheers.
Mick
Me neither. Nice on mussels! :thumbup:
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Cycled 100km to Windsor and back home.

That’s enough
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Had one of those clusterfuck days.

I have several trees I've been wanting to clear out as they're shading some solar panels on my shop. I co-own a bucket truck with a friend in DC and they've had it for the last two years (maybe three) and haven't used it once. It's sat in the driveway of a second home they own. Last weekend missus Bwana and I drove to DC to collect it (yeah, I'm not even up to today's clusterfuck and the cluster was fucking a week ago). Anyway, the truck is 18 years old, and was bought used. Shit's gonna happen. DC is about three hours from here. Fortunately the terrain is relatively flat. Not far out of DC the brakes fucked up. I think a line blew off the front right corner. Fuck it, it was Saturday and I needed to get missus Bwana back before dark as her vision isn't so great at night. So I soldiered on with just the back brakes. Drum brakes. On a Chevy c3500 bucket truck. Stopping is something you have to plan ahead for. Strategic driving got me home without incident other than mega-stress sweat. Looking waaaay ahead managed to get me through about 90% of the traffic lights without having to bring the beast to a halt. The good thing about this is that we'd planned on taking the truck to West Virginia a few weeks earlier but COVID fucked up that plan. Getting to West Virginia involves crossing some mountains. That would have been the optimal location for a brake failure.

I got it home and the damn generator wouldn't run for shit even though my friend told me they'd had it running the day before I collected it. Turns out it was just some fueling trouble that I managed to clear after several attempts. So I felled a tree starting up high so it wouldn't damage the shop roof. That was last weekend.

On to today's fun. I'd used the tractor to clear a path to some other trees further in the bit of land near the shop. I needed to reverse the bucket truck in. Fuck! I hit some soft ground and managed to get the fucker stuck. Grabbed the tractor and attempted to pull it free, but the tractor is just a smallish 30hp jobby and couldn't get the traction needed to yank the fucker free. Much shoveling at the wheels and it's pretty well set in place. Hopefully I can commandeer a wrecker from a friend to drag the fucker free. I did manage to do a little limbing of two of the three trees I was going to fell today, but the rest was a wash.

So now I've got three chain saws I've filled with petrol and bar oil. I don't like putting them up wet, so I cleaned them and then proceeded to drain the fluids. In my haste I dumped the fuel out of the first one, right into the bar oil container. At least it was damn near empty. Drained the fuel out of them. I do have a new jug of bar oil that I'd put in the back of the truck before I fucked all that up. That was stuck back in the shop. I grabbed it to see if there was room for the bar oil in the saws. There was a puddle of oil under it. Fark! Somewhere along the way I'd put a puncture in the jug about 4 inches from the top. It's a half gallon container and had dribbled a fair bit. Old bar oil container has been cleaned and is draining now so I can transfer the lot into the damn thing.

I should have just stayed in bed today.
David

Post by David »

No, Bwana....all that was far more entertaining than
" stayed in bed today"

Nice to know its not just me whose best laid plans gang awa.