RC8 ??

Anything you like about motorbikes
Scotsrich

Re: RC8 ??

Post by Scotsrich »

Of completely no use to you Noggin but coincidentally I saw one just the other day, the first for a long time.

It stands out like very few other bikes do.
mboy

Post by mboy »

Noggin wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:33 am Mind you, Mboy - I hope you are REALLY tall as that doesn't look remotely like a sports bike position :lol: :lol: :lol:
5ft10 and a 33” inside leg…

It’s quite an adjustable bike but it is VERY tall for a sports bike!

Try one first… They don’t fit or suit many people. If you’re much shorter than me, forget it… I’ve had times when even throwing my leg over the bike has been a tough task if I parked it on a slight slope. I remember one comedy coffee stop moment where it was parked on quite a slope and I had to enlist a couple of friends to help me get onto the bike… For contrast, I now ride a KTM 1290 Super Adventure or a Gasgas SM700 Supermoto most of the time, both very tall bikes indeed, and both are easier to get onto than the RC8 was!

What @weeksy said about the 1098 is quite true… The RC8 was probably the most overhyped sports bike to have ever come to market! I remember lusting after the pre production bike in a 2005 issue of Superbike mag I think… It was 2008 before the bike was released to the public, and even by then they hadn’t sorted most of the gremlins out…

If you HAVE to buy one… Buy the latest bike you can find in good condition seems to be the rule. A late model RCBR with the slipper clutch (so 13 plate onwards iirc) and all the mods to the engine and the electrics to make it more useable… My early RC8 was laughably difficult to ride at slower speeds, less engine inertia than a 250 2 stroke, terrible fuelling below 4krpm etc… The later bikes improved somewhat, albeit they’re still agricultural compared to Ducati or even Aprilia V-Twins… In fact, for most of the time I owned my RC8, if someone had offered me another Gen2 RSV1000R as a swap for it, I’d have bitten their hand off for it! The Aprilia is a much nicer bike to ride and a lot more useable, though ironically not as comfortable…

The RC8 was a genuine experience and one I’m glad I battled through… On the right road, on the right day it was an incredible bike, and arguably the coolest bike design ever (people will walk past 916’s and 1098’s to come and talk to you about your RC8 worth a fraction of what their bikes are worth!)… But it’s not an ownership experience I could recommend to anyone but the most hardy and most experienced of riders that are prepared to see past all sorts of issues and treat the bike with the love and respect that it needs…
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Scotsrich wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:07 am Of completely no use to you Noggin but coincidentally I saw one just the other day, the first for a long time.

It stands out like very few other bikes do.
They just do don’t they!!! Awesome machines :wub:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

@Mboy , I will definitely try one. More about the arm than anything. Until the monster I’d never been able to get more than toes on one foot on the floor.

I’m almost 5’8” and 32”inside leg. Always thought I had long legs till I started riding bikes 🙄

And I’ve not had all sensible bikes in the past, prefer things that need some thought etc. So will find one in the spring to try out 😁😁
Last edited by Noggin on Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I "liked" the response above but that is not my recollection. I am 5'63/4 approximately and it fitted me ok.

Then again, I do like taller bikes. 34" seat height and a 29" inside leg? Suits you...

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
mboy

Post by mboy »

Noggin wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:59 am @Mboy , I will definitely try one. More about the arm than anything. Until the monster I’d never been able to get more than toes on one foot on the floor.

I’m almost 5’8” and 32”inside leg. Always thought I had long legs till I started riding bikes 🙄

And I’ve not had all sensible bikes in the past, prefer things that need some thought etc. So will find one in the spring to try out 😁😁
Arm reach isn’t too big an issue as the clip ons have quite a lot of height adjustment… I ran mine in the highest position at all times, arguably closer to a sports tourer than full sports bike in this position as the bars came up above the top yoke like this…

You wouldn’t want to be any shorter to ride one I’d suggest… Drop the seat/tail unit into its lowest setting and you should be ok though…

Good luck with it all, definitely try one out first… Don’t hesitate to ask loads more questions though…
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

mboy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:22 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:59 am @Mboy , I will definitely try one. More about the arm than anything. Until the monster I’d never been able to get more than toes on one foot on the floor.

Arm reach isn’t too big an issue as the clip ons have quite a lot of height adjustment… I ran mine in the highest position at all times, arguably closer to a sports tourer than full sports bike in this position as the bars came up above the top yoke like this…

You wouldn’t want to be any shorter to ride one I’d suggest… Drop the seat/tail unit into its lowest setting and you should be ok though…

Good luck with it all, definitely try one out first… Don’t hesitate to ask loads more questions though…
It’s more arm angle than reach. Sports tourer types don’t seem to be comfortable - well, CBF1000, 990 Duke. I can make them more comfy by leaning forward to bend my elbows down more. Recently been trying out the CBF position by putting butt as far back as it’ll go on the rider seat and leaning down. This seemed better/less uncomfortable than the usual position. Hence thinking I’ll go for a sports bike.

I actually think that anything will hurt so it’s a case of JFDI - before I can’t or before I have to adapt the controls dramatically/make them LHD!!

Totally not fussed about only get tiptoes of one foot down - that’s normal to me!! But will 100% find one to try before I commit to anything!!

Thanx loads. And if/when I do go testing the list, there will be loads of questions on whichever bike I choose!! 😁😁
mboy

Post by mboy »

Noggin wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:15 pm It’s more arm angle than reach. Sports tourer types don’t seem to be comfortable - well, CBF1000, 990 Duke. I can make them more comfy by leaning forward to bend my elbows down more.
Well the definite plus you have with the RC8 there then is the adjustable bar height... Anywhere from the "near sports tourer" position that I favoured, down to feeling like you're holding the front axle with your teeth!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

mboy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:39 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:15 pm It’s more arm angle than reach. Sports tourer types don’t seem to be comfortable - well, CBF1000, 990 Duke. I can make them more comfy by leaning forward to bend my elbows down more.
Well the definite plus you have with the RC8 there then is the adjustable bar height... Anywhere from the "near sports tourer" position that I favoured, down to feeling like you're holding the front axle with your teeth!
That proper made me laugh 🤣🤣🤣💗

But there is a good chance I might be able to find a position that doesn’t hurt ‘too’ much 🤞🏻🤞🏻💗
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Noggin wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:08 pm I might be able to find a position that doesn’t hurt ‘too’ much
Fnarr
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:23 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:08 pm I might be able to find a position that doesn’t hurt ‘too’ much
Fnarr
I so nearly changed how I wrote that. Then I sniggered and left it to amuse other silly minds 😇😇🤣🤣🤣
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

I'm 5'7" with an 29" inside leg, and the bikes were fine for me, the adjustability helps enormously. The only issue I ever hsd was getting it out of a packed parking bay, as the lock isn't great.

My 08 RC8 had done well over 40,000 miles when I sold it (over 25,000 miles of that were mine), and I never had a problem at all that I can recall. The local KTM dealer used to remap the bike for me every year for me by hooking it up to their computer and leaving the bike running for 15 minutes. They used to do it after the shop closed, as it was a bit noisy to do it with the shop open. Never had any issue with low throttle control, and I occassional commuted it through East London (from Redbridge to Tower Hill).

Only managed to do 1000 miles or so on my 2012 RC8-R before moving abroad. Very similar, but different to the RC8 in many ways. I sold it to a mate who last year sold it to his brother, who has it on display in his car dealership. Its always a conversation starter with his customers.

I know there are reported problems, but thats true of many bikes, but they still get bought and sold.

At the time of owning my KTM's I also rode my employers bikes, which included S1000RR's, GSX-R 1000's, Fireblades, K1300S's VFR1200's (the most unreliable, horrendous bikes we ever had). I also owned a Guzzi, a Ducati, Aprilia RS250 and an SV650. Out of all of them, I'd have another RC8 above the others, but they are rare here. As I have mentioned, my local KTM dealer here told me he has never seen one, outside of his visit to the factory some years ago.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

I still have a couple of RC8's of sorts...
RC8's.jpg
RC8's.jpg (274.1 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mixed scale models on the same shelf? That's the stuff of nightmares. :shock:
Plato
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

I know Screwd. I did move the Opel Calibre model I have out of the way in my last photo.

But here it is back in place just to feed your nightmares!!
Differents Scale Horror.jpg
Differents Scale Horror.jpg (154.9 KiB) Viewed 336 times
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:00 pm I "liked" the response above but that is not my recollection. I am 5'63/4 approximately and it fitted me ok.

Then again, I do like taller bikes. 34" seat height and a 29" inside leg? Suits you...

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is that?

Did you ever finish your XR650(?) engined, Mito(?) framed bike? I remember the build well underway.

Don't still have the 'Blade you had off of me do you? For the life of me I can't remember the registration. Don't want it back, but remember the magazine article of your restoration of it. Great bike that, took me all over Europe and commuted into work (sorry for the thread derail Noggin)
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

The black beauty is a Husqvarna SM570R, heavily modified (by me). Bought it as a write off, rebuilt as above. I may have some pics of that somewhere.

Circa 60 bhp in circa 110kg bike. Like a bicycle with a race motor. No counterbalance in the motor, no cush drive in the power train, power delivery was violent like a kick in the pants. It would wheelie everywhere. In those wet tyres, you could get the pegs down on a trackday (which is insane!)

Yes I remember that 'Blade with much fondness, possibly one of the nicest sportsbikes for comfortable road use. Incredibly it survived being used as a daily driver and iirc, I sold it on without even crashing it once, just prior to my getting the Fazer.

I would have another early 'Blade in a heartbeat...
Plato
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Whysub wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:57 pm (sorry for the thread derail Noggin)
Don’t be daft. It’s still bikes :banana-dance: :banana-wrench:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Whysub wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:40 pm I'm 5'7" with an 29" inside leg, and the bikes were fine for me, the adjustability helps enormously. The only issue I ever hsd was getting it out of a packed parking bay, as the lock isn't great.

My 08 RC8 had done well over 40,000 miles when I sold it (over 25,000 miles of that were mine), and I never had a problem at all that I can recall. The local KTM dealer used to remap the bike for me every year for me by hooking it up to their computer and leaving the bike running for 15 minutes. They used to do it after the shop closed, as it was a bit noisy to do it with the shop open. Never had any issue with low throttle control, and I occassional commuted it through East London (from Redbridge to Tower Hill).

Only managed to do 1000 miles or so on my 2012 RC8-R before moving abroad. Very similar, but different to the RC8 in many ways. I sold it to a mate who last year sold it to his brother, who has it on display in his car dealership. Its always a conversation starter with his customers.

I know there are reported problems, but thats true of many bikes, but they still get bought and sold.

At the time of owning my KTM's I also rode my employers bikes, which included S1000RR's, GSX-R 1000's, Fireblades, K1300S's VFR1200's (the most unreliable, horrendous bikes we ever had). I also owned a Guzzi, a Ducati, Aprilia RS250 and an SV650. Out of all of them, I'd have another RC8 above the others, but they are rare here. As I have mentioned, my local KTM dealer here told me he has never seen one, outside of his visit to the factory some years ago.
Was the RC8-R different good or different bad??

I know that is highly subjective (think that’s the right word!) but would be interesting to know how it was different

Never really been one to look for the R models (or other brand equivalent!) - half the time it seems like fancy suspension, and even before being arm-limited, I’m not sure I could ever have done justice to expensive suspension :cry: :cry:

But maybe it’s more than that on the RC8-R??
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

My R was 2012 registered, but it was a late 2010 build, so didn't have the slipper clutch. It did have lighter forged wheels and uprated WP suspendion front and rear. I had it set up to take my weight by a KTM technician, which made it noticeably better than when I rode it in. Very similar to the RC8 on the road, but think the differences would be more noticeably on the track thsn on potholed roads.

A few more bhp ( but not sure you could notice them) and a few more cc. Thinking back, the clutch was less grabby than the standard bike, but I must have got used to the on/off nature of it, as only notice riding the two back to back.
Brakes were the same, maybe different pad compounds, but I never noticed a difference in them under heavy braking.

Neither had ABS, or Traction Control, or Rider Modes, and both had quite a raw feeling engine compared to other V-twins I owned. I suppose its like comparing a TVR with a Jaguar DB7.

Getting all nostalgic about the KTM's now.