RC8 ??

Anything you like about motorbikes
Noggin

RC8 ??

Post by Noggin »

Anyone owned, borrowed, ridden, liked (or hated) one of these.

I rode the CBF today after week of driving and it is really not comfortable for my arm so I'm now definitely leaning towards a sports style bike for next year (going to give the CBF back in 2 or 3 weeks as it's starting to snow up here occasionally!! LOL)

There's a few options on 'the list' but I have always loved the look of the RC8 but never did ride one! (So yes, a test drive will be necessary! :lol: )

It will be an older one but there are a few around with anything from 15,000km to 65,000kms!! Will aim for lower kms but they will all have been tracked or twatted here I guess, so -

What to look for etc!!

Won't be getting anything till next year, just turning things over in my little brain on a Sunday afternoon!! :D :D :D

Pics cos - sexy bike!! :wub:

Oh, and given there is a list, aside from the obvious need for test rides, I'm sure I'll be posting similar threads about other bikes :angelic-green: :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Re: RC8 ??

Post by Skub »

@Whysub @Screwdriver used to have them.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

This one failed to sell at auction today, think it only got bid up to £6k or so.

Lovely looking bikes.

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I'd have one in a heartbeat if I could get it past Mrs Mango...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ChrisW wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:45 pm This one failed to sell at auction today, think it only got bid up to £6k or so.

Lovely looking bikes.

Absolutely no way I could import one sadly. Will have to find a decent one here (if I go for it!!)

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:49 pm I'd have one in a heartbeat if I could get it past Mrs Mango...
Small bonuses of being single 😇😇🤣🤣🤣
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

In fairness it would have to be a 'one in, one out' arrangement, both to satisfy Mrs Mango and because I simply don't have enough space for another bike.

Anyone want a VFR? 50k miles, 36 years old, uprated wheels, suspension and brakes.

Go on, you know you're gagging for it... :D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

If I bought another Honda at this point it would be an SP1!

Basically have accepted that any bike is going to hurt some so just buy a fun/stupid one I’ve always liked/wanted but never had while I can, and go back to what I know as the arm gets worse (ok, if, but I think it’s pretty guaranteed that it won’t improve from now!!)

If I had a garage I’d end up needing a second garage cos I’m sure I’d fill it! But I do need to find decent storage so I could use a bike in winter on dry days (probably not an RC8 tho!!)
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Crazy fast machine. Only makes sense at very high speed. Engine like a steam train just keeps pulling and pulling. All about throttle, never mind the rpm, give it more throttle, get more power.

One of the very few machines I never managed to get flat out. Not because I was going slowly, I would happily do 160+ (back in the day when you could still just about get away with it) but it never seemed to run out of acceleration. I want to say I took it up to 180 but in all honesty I don’t remember. I do remember wondering how much faster it would go and being frustrated with the err, track conditions which prevented a proper top speed run.

I only bought it after loving the engine on the SuperDuke R but this was an entirely different beast. The SuperDuke was “too slow”. Iirc 140 was about as much as it or you would want to do but my god it got there in a hurry. Istr comparing it to Tigger the way it would leap forwards which could easily catch you out in traffic as it jumps forwards. The engine too was more about rpm and while of course it would respond to throttle, the response was much more dependant on rpm.

I still think the RC8 was one of the more impressive looking machines out there. Not “beautiful” like say a Ducati but amazing like seeing a UFO in the ca4 park.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

There's a very Andy Sparrow Bloodrunners look to them, especially the tail and the hunched-forward stance..

I never had a go on one, but wouldn't mind if the opportunity arose (on a track....)
non quod, sed quomodo
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Owned both the RC8 and RC8-R at the same time.
20190909_191832.thumb.jpg.182e01a01bfe86cb906fb9c5e31cd57b.jpg
20190909_191832.thumb.jpg.182e01a01bfe86cb906fb9c5e31cd57b.jpg (86.45 KiB) Viewed 372 times
I rode the RC8 to Bratislava one year (and over several mountain passes in Austria), and to Croatia and The Balkans the following year. Great bikes, adjustable handlebars, footpegs and subframe meant I could get it ergonomically comfortable for me. And unlike most bikes I have had, the thinly padded seat was excellent. The right width, length and base shape saw to that. Did a trackday at Blyton, and it was better than I thought it would be. Plenty of power, but mpg not brilliant, even when pootling along on back roads.

Riding the RC8 and RC8-R back to back, I could tell the difference immediately. The suspension and lightweight wheels made the R much nicer on bumpy roads. Still very comfy once the bars etc. were set up for me. And I fitted a Ventura system rack, simple to do and unobtrusive, and perfect for 10 days away with their 50 litre bag.

Not much to report as downsides really. My RC8 had 40,000 miles on it when I sold it, and it was still in excellent condition, so they can last. The plastic tanks can swell, forcing the use of rachet straps to get the tank off and on again. And they are noisy, even my RC8R with the standard exhaust system. My RC8 had a JTS end can, very loud indeed. And a bastard to change the headlamp bulb if I remember correctly.

Spares were not an issue, as there was a KTM dealer near me, which I had been using for some 40 odd year. Apart from oil filters spark plugs and a headlamp bulb, I didnt need anything else that I can recall.

Didn't have the RC8-R long as bought it shortly before I decided to move from the UK, and getting either registered here would not be easy.
Only seen one out here, and that was being banged off of the rev limiter for about 10 minutes at the pre Valencia MotoGP party in Cheste a few years ago.

Oh, and I bought both of mine, a couple of years apart, from the same private seller.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Screwed, you reminded me that I had my RC8 (almost) flat out on one of the runways at the abandoned Zeljava Airbase in Croatia (fantastic place to visit) Two runways are still in good condition, and when we were there, the police didn't seem bothered, as long as we didn't cross over into Bosnia (just some concrete bollards to stop you).

Not sure what it got up to before I thought I'd better concentrate on where I was going to brake, and not look at the speedo, but it wasn't far off of running out of revs.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Mate has one, saw it for sale online in Scotland for 4k and he literally phoned the guy and got into the van and drove to the Stena. It's an absolute beast and it's bulletproof, he did Europe on it a couple of times and it's never missed a beat.
mboy

Post by mboy »

Me on my old one that I did actually try selling on this forum but to no avail...

Not as many miles under my belt on it as @Whysub managed on his bikes (impressive mileage mate!!!), but I know more than my fair share about them both from an ownership perspective, and also what to look out for and what you should and shouldn't buy...

Glad I've owned one for sure... Also glad I got out of it without losing too much on it in the end... If you buy one, take EVERY bolt out, loctite it, and do it up to the specified torque figures (plus a generous 10-20% extra) before riding it... TRUST ME!!! Things will fall off it...

Ultimately though, as incredible as the bike was to look at, and impressively comfortable as it was too, there's far better road oriented sports bikes out there in terms of usability and reliability too... But whilst I no longer own an RC8, it did start my passion for their LC8 engine and I'm now on my 4th bike with one, and probably covered nearly 30k miles on LC8 engined bikes now myself and hope to do many, many more too... 👍🏻
Last edited by mboy on Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Plato
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

@Screwdriver @Whysub @mboy Thanx LOADS for the info.

I'm not expecting it to be remotely sensible and am expecting it to be totally not the 'right' bike for me and where I live!!

BUT - I've always wanted one and if my silly-bike times are more limited than expected, I think maybe I should just get one!! LOL

TBF, of all the bikes I had (ok, not ab ig list compared to most of you!!), only the 390 and the ZZR were sensible for the road :angelic-green: OK, the BB looked sensible :angelic-green:

Mind you, Mboy - I hope you are REALLY tall as that doesn't look remotely like a sports bike position :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll go and test the few on the list in the spring then get a mate to help me find a good one (whichever I settle on!) - if it's the RC8, I'll be back to ask more questions about what to look out for! (He'd also be able to help me take all the bolts out and sort that side with :D

I'm a little bit more in love with this bike now having read these replies! :lol: :lol: :wub: :wub:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Great thing, lovely looking. However they're plagued with gearbox false neutral issues at times, stalling and a few electrical gremlins. The fuel gauge is random too.
I was a massive KTM fanboi but having ridden both the RC8 and RC8R multiple times, including a brand new bike i was the first rider to Demo, i bought and would always buy a 1098 over one of these, the 1098 blew it out of the water in each and every way.

Sorry... but you asked.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

They're not that small.

This one is!

Plato
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:51 am Great thing, lovely looking. However they're plagued with gearbox false neutral issues at times, stalling and a few electrical gremlins. The fuel gauge is random too.
I was a massive KTM fanboi but having ridden both the RC8 and RC8R multiple times, including a brand new bike i was the first rider to Demo, i bought and would always buy a 1098 over one of these, the 1098 blew it out of the water in each and every way.

Sorry... but you asked.
Brilliant info. I did ask for this reason. I wanted to know the good and the bad - not point saying ugly cos most people think KTM are just ugly!! :lol:

I may well still buy one (if I can touch the ground and ride it!) but at least I'll go in knowing things like that :angelic-green:

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:52 am They're not that small.

This one is!

That's awesome :D :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

They have an adjustable seat height and footpeg position to help with that as standard.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:05 am They have an adjustable seat height and footpeg position to help with that as standard.
It's getting more and more attractive despite the issues :angelic-green: :angelic-green: :wub: :wub: