Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:54 am We rented a Villa, literally a stones throw from the strip. We took our (grown up) kids with us and they loved it. They was round there every night on the karaoke and finished the night off with a kebab! Proper Brits abroad. :thumbup: :lol:

I do like Portugal and find it to be much better kept than Spain, irrigated, planted verges between the towns, things like that. But fook swimming in the Atlantic though. I swear its cold enough for polar bears. Its a deal breaker for us. Well, that and Albufeira and even Villamora was full of do-as-you-likeys

Until last week I'd never been to southern Spain, we'd always visited northern Spain around the Tarragona area and we've always found the people in that part of Spain to absolutely lovely and I think, overall, I prefer the Spanish to my own countrymen. We wanted to go further south to but a place to get the warmer weather in the winter, but southern Spain did little to charm us for that move. That said Malaga was a surprisingly lovely city with beautiful gardens and a great vibe to the place!
Oh shit. I'm worried he might like it here :(
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:00 am
Taipan wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:54 am We rented a Villa, literally a stones throw from the strip. We took our (grown up) kids with us and they loved it. They was round there every night on the karaoke and finished the night off with a kebab! Proper Brits abroad. :thumbup: :lol:

I do like Portugal and find it to be much better kept than Spain, irrigated, planted verges between the towns, things like that. But fook swimming in the Atlantic though. I swear its cold enough for polar bears. Its a deal breaker for us. Well, that and Albufeira and even Villamora was full of do-as-you-likeys

Until last week I'd never been to southern Spain, we'd always visited northern Spain around the Tarragona area and we've always found the people in that part of Spain to absolutely lovely and I think, overall, I prefer the Spanish to my own countrymen. We wanted to go further south to but a place to get the warmer weather in the winter, but southern Spain did little to charm us for that move. That said Malaga was a surprisingly lovely city with beautiful gardens and a great vibe to the place!
I might rock up in me camper and knock on your door with my 240v lead in my hand and say plug that in Yoz. What time does the pizza and beer come out? :lol:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:07 am
Yorick wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:00 am

I might rock up in me camper and knock on your door with my 240v lead in my hand and say plug that in Yoz. What time does the pizza and beer come out? :lol:
I've already started :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:45 am I quite like Albufeira.
You're totally right about the Brits (and Dutch to be fair) trying to ruin it. (The Strip is pretty horrendous, though out of season it's better). But the locals unflappable ability to be absolutely charming despite all this is a joy.
First time we went, we stayed out in Pateo so I was a decent walk into the old town, last few times we stayed near the bottom end of the strip, down near Kiss nightclub, the eldest lad and I ended up on the strip one night, it was carnage.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

My Dad’s wife, a bit of a character. She loves to have a drink and debate topics she knows nothing about – and trust me, she’s got a whole list ready to go. So, Friday night rolls around, and she pours me a vodka so big I thought she’d already added the tonic. Ten minutes later, and without ever having driven a car in her life, she declares, “Bikes shouldn’t filter.”

I calmly explain the UK law about filtering and how some consider it safer than having a hot-headed, blue-rinse OAP in an SLK rear-end you in traffic because you've just filtered to the front of the lights (true story) and ask her again why bikes shouldn’t filter. Her response? “Because they just shouldn’t.”
Lockdown refugee
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'm trying to find an app or something that will help me organise about 15 mins of yoga (chair yoga preferably for now) once or twice a day

Downloaded a load of apps and guess what, I have to sign up for all of the ones I've looked at so far

I even searched for free apps - but the app was free to put on my phone but not free to use :roll: FFS!

So now I suppose I have to trawl through youtube, which I dislike a lot :roll: :roll: , to find something that works

This is why I can't be bothered with apps n stuff, it's never bloody simple!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Noggin wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:18 pm I'm trying to find an app or something that will help me organise about 15 mins of yoga (chair yoga preferably for now) once or twice a day

Downloaded a load of apps and guess what, I have to sign up for all of the ones I've looked at so far

I even searched for free apps - but the app was free to put on my phone but not free to use :roll: FFS!

So now I suppose I have to trawl through youtube,
which I dislike a lot :roll: :roll: , to find something that works

This is why I can't be bothered with apps n stuff, it's never bloody simple!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your Charles Bronson bloke, the psycho convict one, wrote a very good book about exercise in confined spaces, it's worth a read.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bigjawa wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:50 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:18 pm I'm trying to find an app or something that will help me organise about 15 mins of yoga (chair yoga preferably for now) once or twice a day

So now I suppose I have to trawl through youtube,
which I dislike a lot :roll: :roll: , to find something that works

Your Charles Bronson bloke, the psycho convict one, wrote a very good book about exercise in confined spaces, it's worth a read.
Maybe in 12 weeks time! LOL I just wanted simple for the next few weeks! LOL I'm gonna be reading enough as it is! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Park Run.

I know, I know...it's a great motivator to get people running who wouldn't normally and that people love it and derive great enjoyment from it.

However, having stopped going some years ago because there were simply too many people, too many people desperate to get a PB by means of careering sideways/through/into others, too many rules about what lead your dog can be on, yet more rules regarding what headphones/earbuds you can or cannot use, having ankles taken out by people running with twin buggies, being elbowed out of the way as you get to the finish for somebody desperate to get that one place up in the finish order, the over-zealous marshals barking orders, etc., I found out on Saturday that things seems to have gotten worse. :thumbdown:

I'll just go for a run in my local woods with the dog off the lead, if it's all the same. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

gremlin wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:55 am Park Run.
Sounds awful. I run on my own in the countryside, it's relaxing (for exercise), and I certainly don't need motivation from other sweaty amateurs.
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Parking apps. Tfl website. Odeon Cinema booking.
I'm back in the Country for a few weeks to tie up some loose ends and visit people.
I now have an Australian phone number.
I am at my witts trying to park, trying to pay for a days ulez, trying to book tickets for the Cinema.
They just don't accept a Forrin phone number, well Tfl seem to, but Australia isn't in their drop box.
Ho do Tourists get by ?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:55 am Park Run.

I know, I know...it's a great motivator to get people running who wouldn't normally and that people love it and derive great enjoyment from it.

However, having stopped going some years ago because there were simply too many people, too many people desperate to get a PB by means of careering sideways/through/into others, too many rules about what lead your dog can be on, yet more rules regarding what headphones/earbuds you can or cannot use, having ankles taken out by people running with twin buggies, being elbowed out of the way as you get to the finish for somebody desperate to get that one place up in the finish order, the over-zealous marshals barking orders, etc., I found out on Saturday that things seems to have gotten worse. :thumbdown:

I'll just go for a run in my local woods with the dog off the lead, if it's all the same. :thumbup:
I've been an overzealous Marshall at parkrun many times, on more than one occasion I've had to assist broken ankle cases caused by rogue dogs on long leads tripping people up. Hence the rule now :D

MK parkrun is cursed though. We had the ambulance out three weeks in a row once. One stroke, one nasty leg break and one heart attack who won a helicopter ride.

Exercise is bad for you :(
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 5:12 pm
A number of my physical/structural issues are, I believe, down to doing the sort of activities that are supposed to be good for you. I reckon there's a whole branch of physiotherapy going to be needed for some of today's sporty types when they get older. (Knees, hips, shoulders...basically anything that articulates!).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 5:40 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 5:12 pm
A number of my physical/structural issues are, I believe, down to doing the sort of activities that are supposed to be good for you. I reckon there's a whole branch of physiotherapy going to be needed for some of today's sporty types when they get older. (Knees, hips, shoulders...basically anything that articulates!).
And the UK is sooo not set up to deal with that sort of rehab - so an awful lot of disabled people who needn't be :( :(

(Ok, maybe things will change by then, but I'm being extra super positive saying that!!)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 5:40 pm I reckon there's a whole branch of physiotherapy going to be needed for some of today's sporty types when they get older. (Knees
Amen, Brother CS.

I stubbed a toe against a door frame back in June, aggravated an old sporting knee injury.

That might be stretching the definition of 'sporting' a tad. I don't think 'stopping a car with your knee' (Bastille weekend, 1979) will ever feature at the Olympics :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Swimmer's ear!

Not the scabby gross type, just the can't really hear type. I get it whenever I spend time underwater. Usually passes within 24-36 hours. I'm on day 5 at the minute...
Last edited by ChrisW on Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ChrisW wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:44 pm Swimmer's ear!

Not the scabby gross type, just the can't really hear type. I get it whenever I spend time underwater. Usually passes within 24-36 hours. I'm on day at the minute...
I had the same problem but solved it with Zoggs (or similar) earplugs. Feels odd swimming without them now.
Voltaire
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:51 pm I had the same problem but solved it with Zoggs (or similar) earplugs. Feels odd swimming without them now.
WHAT?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ChrisW wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:56 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:51 pm I had the same problem but solved it with Zoggs (or similar) earplugs. Feels odd swimming without them now.
WHAT?
I said get some Zoggs earplugs!
Voltaire
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:59 pm
ChrisW wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:56 pm
WHAT?
I said get some Zoggs earplugs!
JUST AFTER NINE O'CLOCK

in all seriousness, thanks, I'll give them a go