New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
weeksy
Site Admin

New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Post by weeksy »

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/365092

New jacket for me. My KTM jacket is a great jacket but when the speeds get up a bit it's all over the place with wind as it's quite loose.

My Alpinestars leather fits lovely but is just a bit chilly even with the vest in as the wind flows through all the other vented areas.
GuzziPaul

Re: New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Post by GuzziPaul »

Arai QV helmet. Got it before Xmas but only worn it 3 times so far and yesterday was the first ime with tinted visor. Much quieter than my old Shoei, maybe because it's tighter. Got Pinlocks in both clear and tinted visors which has been realy useful no steaming up. Only used one with my clear visor previously, thinking if the sun was out it would be warm enough not to need a pinlock.
Visor changing it a lot easier than my previous Arais, I've got three spare (odd) sidepods where I;ve snapped a tag off when trying to refit a visor or sidepod.
Not had any vents open apart from the front mouth one occasionally but there still seems to be a bit of a draft across my face even with the chin curtain in place and a neck tube.
Seems stable at speed 70+ mph but not sure how fast I've been as the Guzzi speedo gets a bit vague over 70 :)
Last edited by GuzziPaul on Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Textile trousers.

My last pair were HG and probably 20 years old. I got caught in the rain a little while ago and got a wet crotch within 10 minutes so I thought it was about time I got some new ones. I don't ride in the rain as a rule so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on big name brands so I got a pair of these off ebay.

They fit ok, have a detachable lining and armour on the knees and hips. I have no idea if they're waterproof of not ;)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Bought my self a Shoei Neotec 2 for the bike instructor gig and its such a good helmet i wear it some time when just out to play on the bike as well. In the cold weather especially this helmet is far better than my Arai Tour X4 as the skirting on it keeps my head warmer. The Arai will be used as well but the Shoei is the current favourite

I also bought recently a set of Alpinestars leathers as the set of Buffalo leathers i currently have were bought in the late 1990's and are wrecked with shredded liners and stitching started to fail. Also the Alpinestars were an absolute bargain off the local FB pages and immaculate condition :)

Rp1

Post by Rp1 »

Got measured up for a set of 4SR air bag ready leathers at the bike show last year, being custom-made was able to choose design and colours, 4SR have designed the suit to work with the alpinestar tech air vest so it all zips in and fit as it would in a set of alpinestar leathers, they are also able to supply the LEDs and lead for the alpinestar tech air vest.
Very happy with the quality and the protection built into the leathers, the fit is good but need a bit more time to break them in (have only used them a couple of times) 4SR where a pleasure to deal with and nothing was too much trouble for them and kept me up to date with what was going on.
Also got an alpinestar tech air race vest to go with them, chose the alpinestar vest as I thought it had the best air bag coverage and went for the race version as you can swap between road and track with it but you can't with the street version.
Will try and add some pictures when I figured out how :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

My enduro lid looks OK, but I crash every time we go out, so it must have been hit a few times. Then I saw this Bell lid for daft money on Ebay :)

Fits lovely. Just can't use it yet :(
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

Rukka Nivala seeing as I never hibernate the bikes (well the 10r but even that come out in days like today) as it was zero percent at Infinity with a big discount on top.
Have only used the heated socks since even when we went over to Brugge in December.
Toasty.
GolfChick

Post by GolfChick »

Picked up some waterproof alpinestars pike boots and an oxford aqua backpack for the commute into work on my learner Honda XR125. Managed to use the boots in the rain but the bag is sat unused for now, I'm trying to keep the faith that eventually I'll need to use it again!
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

GolfChick wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:35 am Picked up some waterproof alpinestars pike boots and an oxford aqua backpack for the commute into work on my learner Honda XR125. Managed to use the boots in the rain but the bag is sat unused for now, I'm trying to keep the faith that eventually I'll need to use it again!
Oh you will, dont be fooled by a week of sunshine as the rain will soon come
datsunman

Post by datsunman »

Alpinestars Tech Air Race Vest, simply because I don't bounce any more. :D
GolfChick

Post by GolfChick »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:20 pm Oh you will, dont be fooled by a week of sunshine as the rain will soon come
More the fact I'm not supposed to leave the house for 12 weeks! :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:09 pm https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/365092

New jacket for me. My KTM jacket is a great jacket but when the speeds get up a bit it's all over the place with wind as it's quite loose.

My Alpinestars leather fits lovely but is just a bit chilly even with the vest in as the wind flows through all the other vented areas.
WAY too small.... Went for a 46... i rekon in their sizing i need a 50.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Icon 1000 Axys Gloves

Lovely and comfortable, slightly vented, d30 armour
https://www.american-v.cso2w.com/hub/re ... ys-gloves/

Got these at last years bike show, not had a chance to give them a ride out yet.

Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Still not had a chance to try my new Oxford Mondial jacket or my Richa gloves.

The jacket seems to get decent reviews. Had intended on trying it this week but with the lockdown looks like it'll be another few weeks yet. Decided on it as it seems to prove waterproof, fairly warm but with a decent amount of venting in summer
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/433519

Not many reviews for this, but fit really nice with decent protection and GoreTex. I wanted a warmer glove than my Furygan summer glove, but not a full winter glove.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/221736
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Halvarsson Prime jacket and Prince trousers.

Bought from a poster on another forum that I frequent.

Barely used and less than half price so I’m quite chuffed.

Now I just need to be able to use them :(
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Schuberth C3 Basic.

Why, I can see fine cracks on the chin piece and if fancied a new one to go to Italy.

Quietest helmet they claimed. It's no better than the Caberg Duke it's replaced, but apart from that it seems good quality.

And it's great doing a few miles to the supermarket for shopping, honestly officer.
Brian
bob_summers

Post by bob_summers »

I need to buy *everything*, with the possible exception of a helmet, so watch this space :lol:

Been out of biking for years, no idea what's what these days. Do like that RST jacket, OP.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

bob_summers wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:52 pm I need to buy *everything*, with the possible exception of a helmet, so watch this space :lol:

Been out of biking for years, no idea what's what these days. Do like that RST jacket, OP.
I'd go a chunk bigger than they seem to imply mate. I went for a 46, but it's not even close, so i'd go 1 maybe 2 sizes bigger than you'd expect. Due to the issues in the world i've not actually shipped it back yet.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

bob_summers wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:52 pm I need to buy *everything*, with the possible exception of a helmet, so watch this space :lol:

Get yourself on the Sportsbikeshop website. Great service, huge range and lots of user reviews of the kit. I've used them for years and always been good and free delivery/returns so don't need to worry too much about getting sizing wrong. They do have 3 stores as well which might help depending on where you are.
bob_summers

Post by bob_summers »

One thing I always wanted but never bought was a Simpson Bandit :lol: partly because I needed lids with an ACU gold sticker for racing, but mainly because they were famously crap.
I see they still make them. Anyone bought a recent one?