Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by ZRX61 »

Yambo

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Yambo »

I was away for 3 days last week taking photos and a Turkish guy attending was driving a Tesla. His, and a lot of other Turkish Teslas are developing cracked windscreens, the crack starting at the bottom corner (nearside on the guys car but both sides apparently). It appears to be quite a serious issue.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

They just reopened the 15, the freeway between LA & LV.

A truck carrying lithium batteries (for EVs) caught fire TWO DAYS AGO & they shut the road, fire kept reigniting. Now they have to deal with countless cars that ran out of petrol or battery power along the road.
Last edited by ZRX61 on Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Docca

Post by Docca »

Now in Geneva.

Using the IONITY network (350kwh) charging network

Travel two or 3 hours. Take a 20 minute break. Car fully charged.

So far it’s been an absolute doddle.

If every time anything went wrong with ICE production line went wrong, we’d never drive

Personally- I wouldn’t listen to the negative-Neds. If you’re thinking of getting an EV- chose one that suits your needs and then there is no looking back
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I do quite like the idea.

If I had a garage with power or some parking with the possibility for a charging point, I would 100% look at options. I don't mind driving a few hours and stopping for half hour or so (kinda what I do when I drive back to the uk anyway), it's just lack of parking/charging on top of living on top of a mountain that stops me looking for now!! (and the french govt to some fairly decent subsidies quite often) :thumbup: :thumbup:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Docca

Post by Docca »

The scene across a lot of the Ionity network. Loads of 350kw chargers everywhere in Europe. 20% to 95% charge in about 15 minutes
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Odds on the next person to turn up would park right next to you :D
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Docca wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:07 pm Personally- I wouldn’t listen to the negative-Neds. If you’re thinking of getting an EV- chose one that suits your needs and then there is no looking back
As soon as VW stick a row of seats in the back of the ID Buzz commercial to make a Kombi and replace all the soft controls with proper buttons, I'll have a jolly good look at one.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Docca wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:02 pm Image

The scene across a lot of the Ionity network. Loads of 350kw chargers everywhere in Europe. 20% to 95% charge in about 15 minutes
That's such a marked difference in what I saw in France in 2022. The queues for charging points were horrendous on the motorway services. I wonder, does that mean the infrastructure has improved greatly, as that looks very new, or have EVs lost their following?

I'm a reluctant EV fan. I certainly disagree with their green credentials claim, but if we had one, I think it'd work well for us as most of our journeys are sub 10 miles.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Progress or sacrilege!

Docca

Post by Docca »

Re: few EVs on the road? No- LOADS in Europe. Looked like quite a bit more than UK, but that’s my subjective opinion.

Anyway- now on Ferry.

For anyone remotely interested;

Dunkirk -> Luxemburg -> Geneva -> Lourmarin and Ventebren (Provence ) -> back and forth to a tonne of places -> Troyes -> Dunkirk

EV charging across Europe (we went through Belgium to get to Luxemburg) is an absolute piece of piss. I admit I was slightly anxious beforehand, but it’s so easy.

IONITY app - just route plan and it does the rest on 350 KW charges. Also used the Fastned network once (300kw)

The only snag with navigating by app ( it pushes it to apple/google on your CarPlay) is that you might have to slightly detour to use their charger. This happened only once on my journey and it was a 5 minute detour, so not a massive inconvenience.

Fully charged, the beemer could hit 530km range travelling all day at 75mph.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Even round Cumbria I reckon there's quite a few EV's on the road, I honestly can't make a few miles journey without seeing several.
Maybe 10%?

Easy enought to spot by the green bit on the numberplate, if people can't see em round here they maybe shouldn't be driving as they must have bad eyes.
Also theres a mass of chargers sprung up over the last year, mostly in supermarket arparks which seems a logical spot in my eyes.
It looks to be going in the right direction.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Docca wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:23 pm Fully charged, the beemer could hit 530km range travelling all day at 75mph.
I make that about 4m/kWh, based on the Beemer having an 80something kWh battery. Pretty good for a big ol saloon and a neat demo of why SUVs are shit :D.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Docca wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:23 pm The only snag with navigating by app ( it pushes it to apple/google on your CarPlay) is that you might have to slightly detour to use their charger. This happened only once on my journey and it was a 5 minute detour, so not a massive inconvenience.
That's far better than the US. Bloke just did a run from Az to Wa.. which should have been Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, Washington. Instead he had to go Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington... so had to *detour* two entire States. & the California part took him into LA.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Is that a "Lecky cats ate shte" comment or an "America couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery" comment though?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I’m pleased, but it does kind of sound like we’re applauding what we already had!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Taipan wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:57 pm I’m pleased, but it does kind of sound like we’re applauding what we already had!
It's a bit like stepping back 40 years of motoring where you could do long journeys fairly quickly but only if you chose the right route that had service stations in the righ places.
It's getting there but not for me yet.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

demographic wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:55 pm Is that a "Lecky cats ate shte" comment or an "America couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery" comment though?
Both, but mostly down to the fact that Biden *invested* $7Billion to build 50,000 charging stations... & in 3 years has built...

Eight.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Dissing e-vehicles is all a bit King Canute-ish. The tide is coming in. :D

However, Gipsy Rose Steer predicts, all of those that wish to drive ICE vehicles for the rest of their lives will be able to*. In the UK you won't have as much choice of vehicle for a while, then have to buy older ones, petrol supply will get sparse and it'll be more expensive and youngsters will either point and laugh or take pics/selfies with your car. Oh...and some will scratch it/spike the tyres like they do with Chelsea tractors now.

Real die-hards will be finally buried in an ICE car and have a petrol pump for a headstone. :lol:

* particularly if they're prepared to move to the USA. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Spotted while out and about in Central MK.

Leccy van carrying EV charger repair stuff. Good motivation to get the charger working, otherwise you might not make it home after your shift :D

20240813_113633.jpg
20240813_113633.jpg (426.87 KiB) Viewed 242 times