Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
KungFooBob

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:53 pm New motor has radar guided cruise control. The old one was suppposed to have it but didn't 'cause of Covid supply chain nonsense blah blah.

Anyway, new one now has a little button with a picture of two cars where the old one had a button with a picture of a speedo.

£130pa subscription service to you sir! So far as I can work out, the cruise control doesn't work at all unless you cough up for the radar guided subscription :think:

Fortunately I tend to just set the speed limiter and hold my foot flat on the floor on long drives :D
I used my 'adaptive' cruise so much that when I drive the other car with normal cruise I can't understand why I keep almost crashing into the car in front.

I use cruise ALOT and get very frustrated by having to share roads with people who don't.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I get a month's free trial! Might give it a whirl.

Weird thing is, this one now has load of options the old one could have had, if I'd paid for 'em. It's fucking random. Glad I'm not spending proper money as a regular punter, I wouldn't be sure what I was getting.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:56 pm
I used my 'adaptive' cruise so much that when I drive the other car with normal cruise I can't understand why I keep almost crashing into the car in front.

I use cruise ALOT and get very frustrated by having to share roads with people who don't.
I hate adaptive cruise with a passion, I use normal cruise for 75% of my driving, but this adaptive crap just sucks and won;t let me make as much progress as I'd like
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

A guest calls me,
"I'd like to move to campsite XXX for my last night and take one extra night there, it's not bookable online so I rang the sales office, they told me to call you"

I can't make this happen so I ring the UK office
" Yeah there's a few options of different sites "

me, Excellent, can you call the guest and discuss the options
UK No, we can not call the guest, your best bet is to call the EU office, they can also see availability that we can't

I call the EU office, eventually someone answers
" yes we can move your guest, the charge is £121 "

me, excellent, can you ring the guest for their credit card number
EU No, its not possible for us to ring the guest

I go and find the guest, I then spent over 30 mins on the phone, mostly on hold, eventually I give over the credit card number. Before he confirms payment has gone through, I get cut off.

I call again, no one picks up, I call again, no one picks up, I call again and I get to speak to someone.

"yes the EU office can't take payment because the original booking was in sterling. The UK office will call them to take a payment"

hey wait, the same UK office that can't call guests ? well yeah
and why, if the UK office have to take the payment, do they not have access to see what's available ??

EU "we're really busy"
me, no shit Sherlock, that's why I have to call you three times before anyone answers. However if the either of the people that I'd asked, had actually called the customer, this would have been sown up over an hour ago and I wouldn't be taking up your time now.

In summary, it took nearly 2 hours and about 10 phone calls to make the booking. I earn £0 in commission.
The next time a guest asks me, the answer will be simple " Sorry, we're fully booked"
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Having harped on at the Gremlinette to clear the landing of her stuff to sort into Keep/Bin/Vinted/Charity Shop piles and action accordingly, I was surprised to find the landing delightfully clear of teenage detritus. :thumbup:

Until I went into the family bathroom... :thumbdown:

Surely shifting it is just as much hard work as clearing it out in the first place... :eh:
Last edited by gremlin on Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

That the world seems to have an endless capacity for fuckwits...

Man filmed throwing rock at lone grey seal

https://www.bbc.com/news/videos/cnkk5j4lp3vo
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:37 am That the world seems to have an endless capacity for fuckwits...

Man filmed throwing rock at lone grey seal

https://www.bbc.com/news/videos/cnkk5j4lp3vo
Looked to me like he thought it was stranded and he was 'encouraging' it to go back in the Irish sea. No idea that seals like to bask obviously!
He wasn't exactly trying to bash it's brains in!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Flies - buzz against the window constantly, so I open the window, usher it out, only for the little fucker to fly straight back in again.

Twat.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:29 am Flies - buzz against the window constantly, so I open the window, usher it out, only for the little fucker to fly straight back in again.

Twat.
Looks like you've signed off with your new name :obscene-birdiedoublered:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:30 am
gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:29 am Flies - buzz against the window constantly, so I open the window, usher it out, only for the little fucker to fly straight back in again.

Twat.
Looks like you've signed off with your new name :obscene-birdiedoublered:
If the cap fits...
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:00 pm Our Quooker tap just failed and also the shower in the family bathroom has stopped working too. I sense ££££'s :thumbdown:
Still waiting for Quooker to get back to arrange a service visit, thankfully a 2 year warranty on that!

Shower - another £551.45, 2nd one of our showers that has failed within a few months. Mira must build then with a date chip so they die after 10 years, just wait for the 3rd one to fail now!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

v8-powered wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:43 am
v8-powered wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:00 pm Our Quooker tap just failed and also the shower in the family bathroom has stopped working too. I sense ££££'s :thumbdown:
Still waiting for Quooker to get back to arrange a service visit, thankfully a 2 year warranty on that!

Shower - another £551.45, 2nd one of our showers that has failed within a few months. Mira must build then with a date chip so they die after 10 years, just wait for the 3rd one to fail now!
I fancied one of the Quookers but was warned off it, as apparently they are not known for their reliability? How long have you had yours? Is it the first time its gone wrong? Pleased with it regardless?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:47 am
v8-powered wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:43 am

I fancied one of the Quookers but was warned off it, as apparently they are not known for their reliability? How long have you had yours? Is it the first time its gone wrong? Pleased with it regardless?
Installed just over a year but at 2 grand, would have expected better reliability wise - first failure to date. Apparently they are the best of the bunch from a reliability POV!
It is a good piece of kit - we have the boiling, filtered chilled and filtered carbonated options. Handy when I WFH and want a cuppa, don't have the faff of waiting for the kettle etc.

Will see wat their service is like now......
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:47 am
I had a Franke one for a while, but after the second once went bollocks-up I fucked it off and bought a kettle.

Great while they work, but not very reliable. We have them at work and the bloke who fixes them is a permanent fixture in the office.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Look at this section of road on the A1

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.9721227 ... &entry=ttu

No i dont care much what you pro cyclists think as this was just plain fucking stupid. The little white line to the right a couple were cycling up that today heading north to Dunbar. Not only were they on bikes so were the two fucking toddlers they took with them on bikes. The woman may have had a third kid as her bike had the child's add on seat and wheel thing. That is a 70mph road. Main trunk road for trucks coming from England. 60mph trucks and vans. I ended up phoning the police. Woman was unsure if that section was limited or not but was looking into it and if so she would send a car out. Most signs are green but even if allowed what makes folk think this is a good idea. Especially when you have alternative roads ffs.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:28 pm Look at this section of road on the A1

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.9721227 ... &entry=ttu

No i dont care much what you pro cyclists think as this was just plain fucking stupid. The little white line to the right a couple were cycling up that today heading north to Dunbar. Not only were they on bikes so were the two fucking toddlers they took with them on bikes. The woman may have had a third kid as her bike had the child's add on seat and wheel thing. That is a 70mph road. Main trunk road for trucks coming from England. 60mph trucks and vans. I ended up phoning the police. Woman was unsure if that section was limited or not but was looking into it and if so she would send a car out. Most signs are green but even if allowed what makes folk think this is a good idea. Especially when you have alternative roads ffs.
People, even parents, just don't think. I've had parents holding their kids hands but letting them hop on and off the pavement in front of cars or in my case, a large bus :roll: :roll: :angry-cussingblack: The mother in the bus incident couldn't understand why I stopped the bus and got off and suggested (just about politely) that it wasn't a good idea to let her kid jump on to the road in front of a bus. She thought I was the stupid one for over reacting :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:33 pm

People, even parents, just don't think. I've had parents holding their kids hands but letting them hop on and off the pavement in front of cars or in my case, a large bus :roll: :roll: :angry-cussingblack: The mother in the bus incident couldn't understand why I stopped the bus and got off and suggested (just about politely) that it wasn't a good idea to let her kid jump on to the road in front of a bus. She thought I was the stupid one for over reacting :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Single parent lass across the road lets her two hang out the 1st floor window. Shouting at the street while chucking toys into the garden. Probably 3 and 5 year old
Horse

Post by Horse »

The value of secondhand books.

My old (ie read) paperback novels usually go straight to charity shops. Often, it's where they've come from, or on bulk buy from supermarkets.

But I've decided to thin out my grown-up* books.

So downloaded the 'We buy books' app and scanned a few barcodes. Minimum 'sell' is £5.

Several they don't want. The 5 they do total £2.04. Fuggit, they can all go to charity.

* Not really. In amongst the arty stuff there's there's 5 'Far Side' compilations :)

And there's a variety of biking books too.

I can't see it's worth the aggro to EBay any of them.

Edit: couldn't even give some away. Advertised here and elsewhere.

viewtopic.php?p=293624
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
McNab

Post by McNab »

I remember Amazon paying good money for second hand books. I used to regularly sell to them That was a while ago now though, obviously.

I've looked at few other places in the recent past, like music magpie, for example, and they are offering pennies. I don't bother with all that, I just give them to my brother in law for his car boot sales now.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I have 3 outlets for books. 2 boxes at a time usually gets ~£30 from We Buy Books, then some that they don't want or are 20p jobs go to Oxfam (quite often they're non-fiction and seem to go quite well in there). Others go to the 'bus stop library'.

The bus stop library is :thumbup: Quite often get a big drop of books from clear outs so there's been stacks of antiques books, pathology/medicine, history etc. They get read or flipped through in some cases and put back the following week. Popped in today and there was a stack of children's stuff inc. games but also some more novels and medical books - some text books but some 'my life as a...' type of thing. (I think someone must have trained as a pathologist). Bagged a couple and have a bunch to take back when there's a bit of shelf space. Brilliant idea.

A local rail station has one with a donations box. Got some good stuff there too. (Tends to be a lot of, what I call 'airport books' though. High volume, low, erm, literary value novels....cheesy romance and Dan Brown knock-off type things).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire