New bike thread!

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: New bike thread!

Post by weeksy »

Tricky wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:45 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:14 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:40 am Pipe and slippers.....
Its been taken out to 860cc, has a HRC hi lift cam, HRC clutch springs, bigger injectors, remapped by Hilltop and I went 2 up on the rear sprocket and it eats 3 weetabix. Its a fecking wheelie monster and with its Akra on it'll growl like a Grizzly and pull like a freight train. 8-)
Nice ( well, ish :D )

Seriously though , it's another bike, and that's cool- didn't think you were going to bother after the bimmer :thumbup:
I thought he was kidding, I'm properly pleased he wasn't.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Hope you enjoy it as you have ridden one before and like them

A fellow instructor has one of them and loves it as an easy and comfy bike to ride.

I tried it and nearly crashed it twice through lack of practise on a DCT bike. First time i pulled away then rolled off the throttle completely unaware the bike keeps trickling forward and doesnt stop as its still in 1st gear and almost hit stationary car. Second time i went into "clutch" muscle memory coming out of a slow bend and went to grab the clutch to drop a gear and blipped the throttle at the same time :wtf:

The single front disc and weird 2 calipers on the rear disc also messed with my mind :mrgreen:
crust

Post by crust »

Liked for the 'Top Deck' reference. :thumbup:

Top bombing on the bike.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

SWMBO has just vetoed me putting a cheeky bid in on this...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw-motorbike ... 1389668665

Apparently I don't need another old shitter.

I reckon it's a bargain and I could flip it for profit come Spring.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

nice one - might get a similar pipe depending on your review ( after i swore to myself i would keep mine completely standard)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

asmethurst99 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:33 am nice one - might get a similar pipe depending on your review ( after i swore to myself i would keep mine completely standard)
Well its never going to be an expensive mistake! :D I had a lextek on my 690 Duke and it held up fine and the finish was no worse than other well known exhaust makers i'd had before. With this one I'm not expecting much and it'll be enduring the full winter with little cleaning, so if it makes it to spring and i'll be impressed!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Must admit I'd half considered a scooter as a replacement for my Mrs car which has issues. If I only went back to the office on a limited basis a cheap scooter might be cheaper than replacing her car and she can use mine if I only needed to go back in say 1 day a week. But 2.5k for an NC seems good value
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:21 am Must admit I'd half considered a scooter as a replacement for my Mrs car which has issues. If I only went back to the office on a limited basis a cheap scooter might be cheaper than replacing her car and she can use mine if I only needed to go back in say 1 day a week. But 2.5k for an NC seems good value
Scoots are great for commuting, buzzing down to Tesco etc. People make the mistake of comparing them to bikes, which is a bit unfair as they are different and genrally speaking have cheaper components such as budget suspension and brakes and of course they often have smaller wheels and steer different. Twist n go has its own merits though and scoots always make me grin when I ride them. If I won the lottery and had a dream garage, i'd expect i'd still have a scoot in there.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Taipan wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:10 am
asmethurst99 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:33 am nice one - might get a similar pipe depending on your review ( after i swore to myself i would keep mine completely standard)
Well its never going to be an expensive mistake! :D I had a lextek on my 690 Duke and it held up fine and the finish was no worse than other well known exhaust makers i'd had before. With this one I'm not expecting much and it'll be enduring the full winter with little cleaning, so if it makes it to spring and i'll be impressed!
Ali express ... £43.99 the logo is blurred so I'll see when it turns up .
I'm worth it
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Bike arrived, gleaming and with a fresh MOT. :) It looks a bit too clean for what I want it for really, but it is dark out. Sounds sweet as a nut and the guy who delivered it said he test rode it earlier and said its silky smooth with seamless gear changes compared to his Africa Twin with a DCT. Anyway, its cold and wet outside so I'll take his word for it! :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:44 pm Bike arrived, gleaming and with a fresh MOT. :) It looks a bit too clean for what I want it for really, but it is dark out. Sounds sweet as a nut and the guy who delivered it said he test rode it earlier and said its silky smooth with seamless gear changes compared to his Africa Twin with a DCT. Anyway, its cold and wet outside so I'll take his word for it! :D
Congratulations!!!
G.P

Post by G.P »

Taipan wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:07 pm
Supermofo wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:21 am Must admit I'd half considered a scooter as a replacement for my Mrs car which has issues. If I only went back to the office on a limited basis a cheap scooter might be cheaper than replacing her car and she can use mine if I only needed to go back in say 1 day a week. But 2.5k for an NC seems good value
Scoots are great for commuting, buzzing down to Tesco etc. People make the mistake of comparing them to bikes, which is a bit unfair as they are different and genrally speaking have cheaper components such as budget suspension and brakes and of course they often have smaller wheels and steer different. Twist n go has its own merits though and scoots always make me grin when I ride them. If I won the lottery and had a dream garage, i'd expect i'd still have a scoot in there.
There's a bunch of us (the Wiltshire contingent going to Portimao) planning a "twist & Go" long weekend in SoF. fly into nice, hire scooters and spend a couple of days riding up the coast to Rimini and then circle back in land. original plan was to hire 125s but now we're thinking 250s would be best (all post covid now of course).
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Royal Mail have the Akra! :D

Received-Royal Mail Received

12:52:00 Nov 20,2020

GB
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Anyone know what the purpose/point of a bright, forward facing amber light is? :wtf:

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:51 pm Anyone know what the purpose/point of a bright, forward facing amber light is? :wtf:

Mine has 2 :)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

What's that front tyre?

Dunno about the amber light, but if there was a specific 'traffic' reason, you'd expect it on the other side.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:51 pm Anyone know what the purpose/point of a bright, forward facing amber light is? :wtf:

It's to go with your "POLITE" hi vis jacket - I bet there's a flasher switch somewhere.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

This bike is ridiculously clean. No idea how it stayed do clean doing it’s 38k miles. It must have been ridden round a cotton wool factory - in the dry!

Akra is at Royal Mails regional distribution centre!!!

how to download images off instagram
Last edited by Taipan on Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:12 pm

Mine has 2 :)
Some US spec bikes have the front indicators wired as DRLs.

AFAIK in the UK that single light is against lighting regs.
White front
Red rear
Amber sides
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:14 pm What's that front tyre?

Dunno about the amber light, but if there was a specific 'traffic' reason, you'd expect it on the other side.
Tyres are Michelin PR2s, not very old either, or at least they have loads of tread?