Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
mangocrazy

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by mangocrazy »

After reading all of the above, I'm very relieved that our cat is as good a hunter as he is at ballet. And Scrabble. Or balletic Scrabble.

Seriously, the only birds he can catch are the dead ones that fall out of the nest (or are pushed out).
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Elsa is great at catching flys and mosquitos, which I thoroughly approve of :D

She also walks around on the patio licking up ants :lol:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:33 pm Elsa is great at catching flys and mosquitos, which I thoroughly approve of :D

She also walks around on the patio licking up ants :lol:
I trust you let her know of your approval. :)

Wilko used to be death on four legs to flies and mosquitos, but as he's got older he simply CBA. Which is a shame.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Back pain/spasms.

FFS, this is the first week we've had a few days in a row of sunshine and I've not been able to walk to hte garage, let alone get on a bike :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

And - no idea why it's happened :( Not done anything different to usual.

Yesterday I was really positive (after giving up sleeping up on the bed and spending most of the night on the 'sofa' thing) as it felt a bit better and I figured I could ride the bike today.

Nope. As I could actually get up the steps to the bed I went to bed last night - only to wake up at 5am with more muscle pain.

So I got up took painkillers (that have made no difference :( ) and am back on the sofa thing - not able to ride :( :(

FFS

:angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

And now iPlayer is buffering. Don't know if it's the VPN being shit or the wifi. Don't think it's the wifi because it has played Netflix totally fine this morning.

I can't deal with another stupid text conversation with a bot about the VPN - it's almost worth going back to paying to see uk tv rather than having the vpn!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:56 am And now iPlayer is buffering. Don't know if it's the VPN being shit or the wifi. Don't think it's the wifi because it has played Netflix totally fine this morning.

I can't deal with another stupid text conversation with a bot about the VPN - it's almost worth going back to paying to see uk tv rather than having the vpn!!!
When I doubt, clear caches and all that shenanigans and restart everything...
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:26 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:56 am And now iPlayer is buffering. Don't know if it's the VPN being shit or the wifi. Don't think it's the wifi because it has played Netflix totally fine this morning.

Cool. Off to google cos it's on the iPad and I only use it for watching 'tv'!! To me it's weird that it only does it on iplayer but actually, not I'm not threatening to throw it out the window, I've realised that I watch iplayer through Safari (cos it won't let me download the app :roll: - must remember to do that when I'm next in the uk!! :roll: ) - so maybe that's why it struggles.

I do the clear caches thing, thank you :D :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Switch it off rather than 'restart'. I don't know why but sometimes wife's phone gets its knickers in a twist with receiving texts and 'Off' then 'On' seems to clear things better than 'Restart'.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:33 am Switch it off rather than 'restart'. I don't know why but sometimes wife's phone gets its knickers in a twist with receiving texts and 'Off' then 'On' seems to clear things better than 'Restart'.
I do turn it off quite often, but will do everything today and see if it helps :)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:43 am
Count Steer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:33 am Switch it off rather than 'restart'. I don't know why but sometimes wife's phone gets its knickers in a twist with receiving texts and 'Off' then 'On' seems to clear things better than 'Restart'.
I do turn it off quite often, but will do everything today and see if it helps :)
Turn it fully off, spin anti-clockwise three full turns and touch your elbows behind your back, that should clear the cache.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:44 am
Turn it fully off, spin anti-clockwise three full turns and touch your elbows behind your back, that should clear the cache.

I've done everything except the elbows behind the back - does that mean it won't work :( :( :(
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:59 am

I've done everything except the elbows behind the back - does that mean it won't work :( :( :(
That's the most important step :(
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

:D Dunno about the elbows but...

'Without going into too much detail, RAM provides temporary storage for applications and programs as they run. Unfortunately, as they run, some of this data begins to pile up even though it's not being used. A restart can clear the RAM cache (unnecessary saved data) and have your computer back to work at full capacity.'

Is there a difference between restart and off/on? Dunno.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:29 am

Cool. Off to google cos it's on the iPad and I only use it for watching 'tv'!! To me it's weird that it only does it on iplayer but actually, not I'm not threatening to throw it out the window, I've realised that I watch iplayer through Safari (cos it won't let me download the app :roll: - must remember to do that when I'm next in the uk!! :roll: ) - so maybe that's why it struggles.

I have issues with iPlayer on chrome, I think it's due to the duckduckgo extension to block tracking. Edge works fine so maybe changing browser will work for you.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've always found iPlayers apps generically shit, regardless of hardware platforms, if that's ant consolation :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:03 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:59 am

That's the most important step :(
:( :( :(

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:07 am

:D Dunno about the elbows but...

'Without going into too much detail, RAM provides temporary storage for applications and programs as they run. Unfortunately, as they run, some of this data begins to pile up even though it's not being used. A restart can clear the RAM cache (unnecessary saved data) and have your computer back to work at full capacity.'

Is there a difference between restart and off/on? Dunno.
Fully turned off and back on, caches cleared. Doesn't lag as much, but still not as smooth as everything else I run through their own apps :( :(

Mussels wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:39 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:29 am

I have issues with iPlayer on chrome, I think it's due to the duckduckgo extension to block tracking. Edge works fine so maybe changing browser will work for you.
I've only run it through Safari - I have Chrome. But no idea how to get Edge!! Will have to look if it doesn't start working better :( :(

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:46 am I've always found iPlayers apps generically shit, regardless of hardware platforms, if that's ant consolation :D
Sort of/maybe!! LOL Can't get it till next spring as I won't be back in the uk till then :(
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

It's probably not worth getting the app installed as it can pick up location in lots of ways now. Mine was on a vpn at router level to a private UK ip address and it cottoned on after 3 months.

The loopholes are closing :thumbdown:
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Ditchfinder wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:36 am It's probably not worth getting the app installed as it can pick up location in lots of ways now. Mine was on a vpn at router level to a private UK ip address and it cottoned on after 3 months.

The loopholes are closing :thumbdown:
It is daft tho isn't it. In the uk you have everything if you pay a licence fee. You know what? I'd pay the licence fee to be able to watch it here :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

People who take photos of stuff with their massive shadow all over it.
It's pretty petty I know, but just shows a lack of attention to detail. If I'm thinking of buying something from you, and you claim it's self maintained, then it casts doubt on your abilities!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Endorsements for major sporting events which have little or no relevance to the event, along the lines of...

"Hellman's Mayonnaise - the official egg-based salad dressing of the 2024 European Championships"

"Rexel - the official stapler of Team GB"
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!