Switzerland

Anything to do with being out and about, whether on your own or looking to arrange trips and adventures with forum members
McNab

Switzerland

Post by McNab »

I feel like I'd like to do a roadtrip to Switzerland this summer.

I've not decided if it's car or bike yet.

Anybody have any advice? Routes, places to see, places to stop, roads to ride/drive?

Also. never having ridden or driven outside the UK, is there anything I should be aware of (other than they drive on the right)?
Ditchfinder

Re: Switzerland

Post by Ditchfinder »

You need a vignette for the motorway https://www.ch.ch/en/vehicles-and-traff ... y-vignette
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Head to Champery in Aug, i'll get you a beer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

The Swiss are SERIOUSLY hot on speed limits. Really not worth the risk unless you are sure there are no cameras/cops!

I’d you plan it after Morzine I can pick up a vignette and bring it over - or you can buy them at most border crossings (but not all - they fine for motorway with no sticker )

I’ve ridden in Switzerland but have a friend who lives in Lausanne so could ask her for any tips on places to go?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Ditchfinder wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:32 am You need a vignette for the motorway https://www.ch.ch/en/vehicles-and-traff ... y-vignette
I entered by motorway and they sold me the vignette at the border. Valid for a year iirc. Don't remember anything unusual about driving there other than everyone seemed to stick to speeds at or below the limit.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Don't speed.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

A cautionary tale :wtf: ...

McNab

Post by McNab »

Thanks all.

Yeah, I heard the Swiss are pretty hot on speeding.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:48 am The Swiss are SERIOUSLY hot on speed limits. Really not worth the risk unless you are sure there are no cameras/cops!

I’d you plan it after Morzine I can pick up a vignette and bring it over - or you can buy them at most border crossings (but not all - they fine for motorway with no sticker )

I’ve ridden in Switzerland but have a friend who lives in Lausanne so could ask her for any tips on places to go?
The morzine bit makes no sense!! I was on my phone and thought it was Weeksy talking about the trip (did wonder why!! LOL)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Speed limits on main roads change with alarming frequency too.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I attempted some of the Swiss mountain passes 12 months ago, but was a bit early and they were shut. ☹

I headed for Zurich and took the 17 along the north shore and headed for Glarus and the Klaussen pass. Near the top the barrier was across the road and a rethink required. If open it would of been left to Wassen and the Sustan pass 11, then Grimsel and Furka.

All pretty well known, I'm sure the views would be fantastic and speed limits are of no importance here. Wait till July. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Felix

Post by Felix »

Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:48 am The Swiss are SERIOUSLY hot on speed limits. Really not worth the risk unless you are sure there are no cameras/cops!

I had them behind me for about 5 miles speeding down a mountain into a village. I was only 5/6MPH over but they looked more interested in passing me than stopping me. Folk also say they dont like you parking on the grass in the country. Then never bothered when i was parked up frying steak at the top of another mountain.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Dodgy69 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:24 pm I attempted some of the Swiss mountain passes 12 months ago, but was a bit early and they were shut. ☹

I headed for Zurich and took the 17 along the north shore and headed for Glarus and the Klaussen pass. Near the top the barrier was across the road and a rethink required. If open it would of been left to Wassen and the Sustan pass 11, then Grimsel and Furka.

All pretty well known, I'm sure the views would be fantastic and speed limits are of no importance here. Wait till July. 👍
I passed through once on a Sunday. Most of the small villages were shut. It was like being stuck in the 70's early 80's.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Most garaged will take the € but give Francs in change
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

There's a bike shop in Thun where they will sell you the world's most expensive tyres
IanB

Post by IanB »

We stayed near Interlaken a couple of weeks ago on a bike tour & I have to say the scenery was so beautiful I didn't mind riding slowly for a few days.

We were lucky with the weather, apparently yesterday Grimsel, Furka, Nufenen & many more passes were closed following serious flooding & landslides.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I lived there for 8 years.
Depending on what you trip plans and direction, basically you will be able to bag loads of passes.

Head to Davos area (Graubunden) and you have the Fuela pass, Ofen pass, Julier Pass and you can head over to Stelvio (which everyone raves about but "meh") - and the St Bernadino Pass (one of the best), which takes you into Ticino, and you can head by vis the St Gotthard
If you head for Andermatt - stop at Interlaken and go up to Grindlewald and have a good look at the north face of the Eiger, also detour and go the Mehringen - which is dead pretty.

At Andermatt you have the Susten, Grimsel and Furka passes - they can be linked and done in one great loop - great scenery , great roads, full of dutch with motorhomes and road cyclist.
Then there is the St Gotthard - new ( which is quick) and old (which is cobbled in places and worth the experience) and also the Nufenen.
And if you are coming from Zurich , you can throw in the Klausen Pass, and visit William Tell's home village of Altdorf.
The ride along Lake Luzern is rather lovely.

If you are on the Frenchie side, head down past Vevey and Montreal to Martingy , and you can head over the Grand St Bernard Pass and the Petite St Bernard Pass, which take you over into the Aosta Valley in Italy and Monte Blanc.

There is also a stunningly pretty road on the northside of the Thunersee / Brienzersee - but I am buggered if I can remember where in goes - but you get great view of the Berner Oberland. ( Just looking it goes from Unterlangenegg/ Roetherbach/ Hochmoor and Rebloech towards Schangnau)

The northside of the Bodensee (in Germany) is nice too - Meersberg is very pretty, with great view of the Alps.

The police are hot on speeding - they set up radar traps in the mountains
It is illegal to warn other motorists about said traps - and they do have stealth riders who check.
Switzerland was stunningly expensive when I lived there and it was 1.6 CHF to the GBP. I think it is now 1.1 CHF to the GBP. But it is very safe - you can leave you helmet and gloves on the bike - nobody will take them (Not the case if you cross to France or Italy)
You will need an autobahn vignette
I got away with a Buell on a race system out there - but unless you are on a Harley with a tassel jacket, they hate loud exhausts
Filtering / lane splitting is illegal
You have to really love ham, cheese and potatoes - they come with every meal
Swiss beer is terrible unless you drink Quoellfrisch from Apenzell.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Things to see in Switzerland:-
Bern
Gruyeres
Montreaux
Grindlewald
If you are feeling rich, the train to the top of Eiger / Monch/ Jungfrau
Lucerne - wooden bridges and the lake
Mount Titlis (just because it still makes me laugh)
Zermatt
Lake Lugano
Skt Moritz (if that is your sort of thing)
hawkati

Post by hawkati »

Wierd fact - I've driven through Switzerland three times but never seen it because driving at night, ffs.

So I'll be riding through Switzerland next month when returning from misano gp. Currently rummaging through maps etc looking for the best views, passes etc. Jo chance of speeding because I'll be too busy gawping at mountains...
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

San Bernardino or Gotthart Old pass