Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Potter »

Just saw a news story where a bloke bought a new Tesla truck but it doesn’t fit in his parking space at his apartment block, so after a period of time he decides to trade it back for a smaller Tesla, but they won’t take it back in part exchange and reminded him that he’s signed a contract agreeing not to sell it privately either and they threatened court action if he does and breaches the contract.
Mussels

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mussels »

Potter wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:04 am Just saw a news story where a bloke bought a new Tesla truck but it doesn’t fit in his parking space at his apartment block, so after a period of time he decides to trade it back for a smaller Tesla, but they won’t take it back in part exchange and reminded him that he’s signed a contract agreeing not to sell it privately either and they threatened court action if he does and breaches the contract.
He's a muppet for not checking but this shows Telsa are a bit desperate, a no private sale contract should include a dealer buyback clause. This won't help their appeal to the average Joe.
This clause seemed like it was to stop people touting but now it looks more about postponing people seeing huge depreciation.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

It's a bit strange given there's supposed to be a 5 year backlog on pre-orders (at current output levels). If that's true the dealer should have been salivating at the idea. V odd. :hmmm:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

A lot of the premium sellers do this to try and protect their brand, if you buy a Ferrari and sell it immediately then you'll be blacklisted and they'll never sell you another car, same as a Rolex watch actually.

They're sufficiently hypocritical enough that they'll let some slip through the net depending on who you are, if you're a 'whale' who buys half a dozen of the slowest selling cars just so you can get a GT3RS or something then they'll turn a blind eye. There is a bloke on Youtube who documented his dealings with Porsche, he wanted a limited edition GT3 and they openly told him that if he bought three Panamera's that were sat gathering dust in the showroom then they'd bump him to the top of the GT3 list. He did the maths and he'd lose something like £30k immediately off each Panamera but it still meant that he could drive the GT3 for six months and then sell it and make his money back because they sell for £100k over list.

However....just to muddy the water even more, there is another bloke that reckons the market has already collapsed and the prices are fantasy now, he has been keeping a tracker on these high end cars that go for mega bucks over list and he shows that they're actually not selling, or they're trading between dealers to keep the prices inflated.

Again it's a similar story with watches, the shop will tell you a Rolex/Patek/etc trades at two or three times list, but try and sell them one and you'll be lucky to get 70% list price - I've tried to sell some so I know, and if anyone reading wants to offer me list price on any of my Rolexes then I'll happily sell them to you because no dealer will give me list price. Maybe back during the hype in covid, but the market has collapsed now.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Found it -
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:04 am Just saw a news story where a bloke bought a new Tesla truck but it doesn’t fit in his parking space at his apartment block, so after a period of time he decides to trade it back for a smaller Tesla, but they won’t take it back in part exchange and reminded him that he’s signed a contract agreeing not to sell it privately either and they threatened court action if he does and breaches the contract.
No sympathy at all. Anyone who buys one of those Tonka toys for men-children deserves all they get (or don't).
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Fire started by electric car power systems devastates a historic neighbourhood in Denmark.

I was there yesterday, they'd covered up all the evidence so news wouldn't spread.

https://euroweeklynews.com/2024/05/29/f ... heme-park/
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Explains why Biden's promise of 500,000 charging stations in the next 6 years has only seen 8 built (article says 7)

https://climatechangedispatch.com/white ... docs-show/

Don't Employ Idiots...
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

New Dacia Spring is finally out...

£14,995 for the base model, or £217 pcm with no deposit. Seem to be discounts even on the new price too, so it's nearer 14k.

Quite sweet for a small, low-range little EV.

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

For a short range EV, but a bit more premium you can get the Mazda MX-30.

The base one is £28k, but Mazda give you £6k towards the deposit and it's 0% PCP.

They even do a Hybrid version for similar money, that has a rotary generator (gotta love Mazda for making it a rotary Genny), but I don't think you get the 0% PCP on the PHEV version.

They are dead nice inside, with cork lined cubby holes and shit
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:44 pm For a short range EV, but a bit more premium you can get the Mazda MX-30.

The base one is £28k, but Mazda give you £6k towards the deposit and it's 0% PCP.

They even do a Hybrid version for similar money, that has a rotary generator (gotta love Mazda for making it a rotary Genny), but I don't think you get the 0% PCP on the PHEV version.

I don't doubt it's probably better in every way, but still nearly 50% more though.
cheb

Post by cheb »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:44 pm For a short range EV, but a bit more premium you can get the Mazda MX-30.

How do you cork line a shit?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I love the idea of an electric car but it's just not feasible up here :( One day maybe :D But if I can find a reasonable hybrid, I'll probably go that way. Probably!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:50 pm I love the idea of an electric car but it's just not feasible up here :( One day maybe :D But if I can find a reasonable hybrid, I'll probably go that way. Probably!
Don't you live on a mountain? Would be perfect, you'd have a full battery every time you got to the bottom :)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:00 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:50 pm I love the idea of an electric car but it's just not feasible up here :( One day maybe :D But if I can find a reasonable hybrid, I'll probably go that way. Probably!
Don't you live on a mountain? Would be perfect, you'd have a full battery every time you got to the bottom :)
Well, I'm sure I was told that starting off going down hill for 20km (1500m roughly in altitude) isn't ideal for them.

But also, no where to charge it up here (that I have access to - live in an apartment with no parking) and in the winter the cold may well kill the battery before I head down the mountain :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:04 pm Well, I'm sure I was told that starting off going down hill for 20km (1500m roughly in altitude) isn't ideal for them.
It's true assuming you were fully charged before you left as there's nowhere to store all the regenerated electricity and the regen braking wouldn't work. The trick would be to charge at the bottom only...
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Hmm...Mazda's first all-electric car, rotary engine generator. Might be a bit too 'early adopter' for my tastes. I think I read that the hybrid out-performs the electric. Maybe they've sacrificed performance to get range?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:06 pm The trick would be to charge at the bottom only...
Rude :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:06 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:04 pm Well, I'm sure I was told that starting off going down hill for 20km (1500m roughly in altitude) isn't ideal for them.
It's true assuming you were fully charged before you left as there's nowhere to store all the regenerated electricity and the regen braking wouldn't work. The trick would be to charge at the bottom only...
Possibly too much planning for my brain !! LOL Haven't seen electric chargers at the nearest supermarket, think there's some in the next nearest place. But it's the cold that would probably be the worst and in the winter I would need to be able to get to the valley to the work depot at stupid o'clock, so can't risk the battery being ded when I have to get to work!! LOL