Cobalt drill bits

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
iansoady

Cobalt drill bits

Post by iansoady »

I've been struggling to drill out the remains of exhaust securing screws on my recently purchased Yamaha SRV250 (this was meant as a riding round bike but is full of problems!). HSS bits were making little impression so I thought for a tenner these might be worth while. And they were. Whizzed through the screws as if they were made of cheese. Very impressive.

https://www.toolstation.com/cobalt-drill-bit-set/p40442
Rockburner

Re: Cobalt drill bits

Post by Rockburner »

iansoady wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:49 am I've been struggling to drill out the remains of exhaust securing screws on my recently purchased Yamaha SRV250 (this was meant as a riding round bike but is full of problems!). HSS bits were making little impression so I thought for a tenner these might be worth while. And they were. Whizzed through the screws as if they were made of cheese. Very impressive.

https://www.toolstation.com/cobalt-drill-bit-set/p40442
Will bookmark those - I need to drill out some snapped bolts on the Rocksters at some point.
non quod, sed quomodo
Skub

Post by Skub »

I miss borrowing such items from the factory store.

I have to rely on mates to borrow them for me now. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Cobalt drill bits are great, but they do need to be handled carefully as they are significantly more brittle than HSS bits.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

There's a decent set that Machine Mart sells, in halfmm increments from 1mm to 13mm.
Its just shy of 60 quid and I lost my last set and had to buy another recently.
Obviously I found the last set a few days later but I'm ok witb that, a few of the bigger sizes of the old set need sharpened but I'll get to it.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:38 pm Cobalt drill bits are great, but they do need to be handled carefully as they are significantly more brittle than HSS bits.
I was a bit(!) worried about that having read similar comments but these seemed to be fairly tough. I started with 4mm, not wanting to risk anything smaller, and even though it did catch a couple of times it didn't snap.

The machine mart set looks good, but £60? I'd just go for individual bits if and when I need anything over the 6mm that comes in the toolstation set.
roadster

Post by roadster »

Almost essential for working with stainless steel. I have also bought some diamond tipped bits (not masonry type) which are great for hardened materials. I'm not sure about the longevity because obviously they can't be ground back to resharpen whereas the homogeneous cobalt type can. Buying this kind of stuff on Ebay can be hit and miss if it comes from China but sometimes you get lucky.