Swapping an XJ6 rear shock - how hard can it be?

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Re: Swapping an XJ6 rear shock - how hard can it be?

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Yorick wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:27 pm To show some Japanese stupidity, the bleed valves on the current GSXR are on the inside.
Farking nightmare to get the tube on. Even worse getting 10mm spanner in to open and close it.
Totally stupid idea.
The preload ring on the Tracer 900 I rode in NZ in 2019 was inaccessible. As the shock softened up with two people plus luggage, the preload really needed upping and without tools I couldn't do it. By the end of the trip I was dragging the centre stand.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:44 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:27 pm To show some Japanese stupidity, the bleed valves on the current GSXR are on the inside.
Farking nightmare to get the tube on. Even worse getting 10mm spanner in to open and close it.
Totally stupid idea.
The preload ring on the Tracer 900 I rode in NZ in 2019 was inaccessible. As the shock softened up with two people plus luggage, the preload really needed upping and without tools I couldn't do it. By the end of the trip I was dragging the centre stand.
Eat more salad.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:44 pm
Totally stupid idea.
Not just the Tracer 900, the MT09 is similar, it's fit and forget. My R1150GS is similar too though the OEM shock has a hydraulic preload adjuster. I'd just got my first Nitron and it was sprung for me, didn't see the point of paying £250 for an HPA. Three weeks later I got a girlfriend who decided she'd rather commute with me on the bike than on the train. :x
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Beancounter wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:05 pm
Not just the Tracer 900, the MT09 is similar, it's fit and forget. My R1150GS is similar too though the OEM shock has a hydraulic preload adjuster. I'd just got my first Nitron and it was sprung for me, didn't see the point of paying £250 for an HPA. Three weeks later I got a girlfriend who decided she'd rather commute with me on the bike than on the train. :x
If I remember right, the Tracer 900 GT has a remote adjuster. It's outrageous that it's only on the more expensive model.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
millemille

Post by millemille »

Every vehicle is designed around what is known as the "Nexus component".

On Land Rover series and defenders it is the screen wash bottle. You have to take the whole vehicle apart in order to change the bottle when it splits.

It is the very first component around which the rest of the vehicle is then design and assembled.

Sounds like the nexus component on the OP's bike as the ABS unit....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

millemille wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:39 pm Every vehicle is designed around what is known as the "Nexus component".

On Land Rover series and defenders it is the screen wash bottle. You have to take the whole vehicle apart in order to change the bottle when it splits.

It is the very first component around which the rest of the vehicle is then design and assembled.

On the KTM 690 it was the bracket between the radiator and the exhaust header, I'm sure I even had to take the zx6 apart to get to it!
millemille

Post by millemille »

weeksy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:11 pm
On the KTM 690 it was the bracket between the radiator and the exhaust header, I'm sure I even had to take the zx6 apart to get to it!
LOL
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:11 pm
millemille wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:39 pm Every vehicle is designed around what is known as the "Nexus component".

I knew you'd be funny eventually ;)