Does anyone here not ride, or not ride anymore?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: Does anyone here not ride, or not ride anymore?

Post by Potter »

I've never not had one since being sixteen, I just have some years where I don't ride (or it used to be racing) very much, or at all.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I ride enduro with mates every week.
Still doing Euro trackdays.

I'm only 64 so plenty of years left.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

The Locomotive MC in Cambridge had so many DUI's at one point that they pretty much became a bicycle club.. so they were still riding, but without engines...
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

I think I sold my last bike last year and haven't bought another one. I didn't really use it and don't miss it.

I'd probably buy another but I don't have any space indoors to keep one and I'm not so keen on keeping one outside.

Maybe I'll get another when I next move house.

Most people I see on bikes these days are riding round and round for no reason, like twats, with silly trousers on.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

I've been questioning my riding for years... I suppose 95% of my riding has been commuting for 15 years, and I've not done that for the last 3 or 4, so I barely use the bike at all.

I always mean to ride more – I don't want to sell it and admit to myself that I won't buy another, but I do need an excuse to get me out and about.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Basically CBA at the moment :D

I've got several bikes in the garage, I don't ride any of them. I'm probably going to sell a few.

I did quite enjoy riding the Bonnie, but it's such a hassle to keep going I don't ride it that much. Owning a classic bike is a hobby in and of itself, I'm not really up for very much spannering I don't think.

I think a big part of the problem is I have the wrong bikes :p I really like certain aspects of the Bonnie, I'm thinking I might enjoy a modern version of something like it.
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

I don't do nearly as many miles as I did twenty years ago, when I used to go on loads of group rides and meet ups, weeks away in Scotland etc. Club raced in Desmodue for a few years but that was 15 years ago. Always have at least one bike MOT''d and insured, SORN'd in the winter these days (I like old skool Ducati's, it's the law, not allowed out in the winter) and probably only do a few hundred miles each year these days but I'm making a special effort to do a bit more this year. I do love being out on the bike still, that feeling of accelerating out of a bend and making progress through traffic. Can't see myself giving up just yet, and will me making an effort to get another bike or two in the garage back out on the road. Doesn't cost a lot, the bikes aren't depreciating and insurance is cheap, self maintained, biggest expense is road tax!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:09 pm I'm only 64 so plenty of years left.
Thats what I thought when I was 58. Enjoy it :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

I want to keep riding till I can’t - our new house is taking up quite a bit of time so my limited mileage will fall a bit this year and we haven’t got a lock up anymore.
Sometimes the mojo isn’t there but when I head out on the CBR I’m glad I did.
I’m 61 gulp
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

I rode less and less after stopping the commute, getting down to a touring holiday once a year and the odd track day.

Then our best 'couple friends' and touring buddies split up. Which stopped the touring holidays as it was fun as a group thing.

It coincided with t'other half 'going off' riding, so the bikes barely moved, as I didn't feel like going out and enjoying myself without him.

We sold them. 😭

I missed it horribly. Three years later I justified buying a cheaper bike, just for me to have an occasional pootle about on. That was the baby Duke, last year. 🧡

Now the weather has started to sort itself out I already go out more 'just for fun' than I ever did 😊. But I do like a destination/route, so need to get better at sorting some out.

I can't see me going without one for a long time now tbh. It was like missing a vital part of myself.
Druid

Post by Druid »

I was a bit late coming to bikes, I was 21 when I passed my test. That was 45 years ago and I've never been without a bike for more than a couple of weeks since. I've commuted by bike, been touring on a bike and for the last 15 years or so I've been a sunny Sunday rider. There are times I've barely ridden all year (I did 600 miles last year) but that's been my choice and there's never been pressure from family not to ride. I can't imagine not having a bike.

There's nothing quite like the feeling I get when I sneak out early on a summer Sunday morning and do 150 miles and get home just as everyone else is setting out
Skub

Post by Skub »

Druid wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:39 pm There's nothing quite like the feeling I get when I sneak out early on a summer Sunday morning and do 150 miles and get home just as everyone else is setting out
I love that too. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I drink way to much on a Saturday to go out early Sunday.

I go out 11am when the roads are busy so more car drivers can be impressed by my riding like a twat skillz.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I started going out early on sunny summer mornings as we were coming out of lockdown #1 because it was quiet and all felt a bit illegal. ;)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I've been riding bikes over 40 years and I really enjoy it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:18 pm I've been riding bikes over 40 years and I really enjoy it.
It's not like an AA meeting ;)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Friend of mine gave up at 83, a few months after getting a lecture from a cop after he got pulled for 120 in 50 on his ZRX11. Another friend is still riding his ZRX11 at 80yo.. So I figure I got another 20 years of riding mine.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

So, I've been riding bikes in work for the last 20 years, it's still sort of part of my job role, in fact I've been out this week and going out again today just to keep my eye in, so to speak.

But, that 20 years of riding big bikes with short legs have taken their toll on my body, my hips are pretty shot and I'm guessing at some stage hip replacements are maybe on the cards (quite common in my line of work tbh)

As for my own bikes, I've been using them less and less, 2022 I bought a 350cc scooter and used that, sold it but now have bought another scooter, 300cc XMax and it's an absolute scream to ride. I found I'd open the garage and instead of taking the bike, I'd automatically go for the scooter.

I can honestly say that I'm having more fun riding that than riding big bikes at speed everywhere in work.

I therefore sold my bikes and now only have the scooter. And loving it.
Skub

Post by Skub »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:40 am Friend of mine gave up at 83, a few months after getting a lecture from a cop after he got pulled for 120 in 50 on his ZRX11. Another friend is still riding his ZRX11 at 80yo.. So I figure I got another 20 years of riding mine.
What was the jist of the cop's lecture? Maybe he was concerned your mate was going to die young by speeding? :wtf:

I remember the same attitude from my Da's doctor. My Da had an Ulster fry every morning for his breakfast all his life and doc was of the opinion a man of 85 should eat fucking muesli or some shit. One size fits all doctoring. :roll:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Skub wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:50 am What was the jist of the cop's lecture? Maybe he was concerned your mate was going to die young by speeding? :wtf:
The cop already had his ticket book in his hand when he got out of the car. Then my mate took his helmet off which stopped the cop mid-rant. Gave him the "You should know better at your age" nonsense & then stated he couldn't give him a ticket because "no one would believe a guy your age was going that fast". Told him to slow the fuck down & just go home. :)