Stones in horse's hooves

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Stones in horse's hooves

Post by cheb »

Prompted by my finding a hoof pick in the shed, there's no other evidence of horsiness here.

How often does this happen and are any types of ride worse than others? Do horse riders carry picks like some motorcyclists carry puncture repair kits.

Any horsey types want a steel hoof pick? It says barefootworks on it. I'll post it for free.
gremlin

Re: Stones in horse's hooves

Post by gremlin »

Didn't Swiss Army knives use to have such an attachment?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
SSS

Post by SSS »

You use a hoof pick to get the mud, stones out of the horses hoof, and in about the V shaped part called 'the frog' (which is like a shock absorber and grip - but also helps pump blood back up the leg)

Mud - the really claggy stuff - which stick to the underside of the hoof and can collect stones. When the horse is shod, mud collects more - so need the pick to remove the wet or dry mud.

All my horses (7) are unshod - as it promotes a harder hoof sole, more natural (all our horses are natives - Connemara) and we dont ride/exercise on hard surfaces which create excessive wear (and its considerably cheaper!)

Generally dont carry a hoof pick with me all the time. Normally its for stable/grooming duties or if there is a stoney issue stuck in the hoof which doesnt happen often. The worse bits for getting stones stuck in the mud for us would be the small pebble type stones.

The postage is likely more than the hoof pick is worth :D and horsey types will have lots of them already (we do)
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

gremlin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:19 am Didn't Swiss Army knives use to have such an attachment?
I recall as a kid I had a pocket knife with 1 big blade and a substantial spike thing. Never sure if it was a hoof pick or a marline spike, either way I didn't know how to use it.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Skub

Post by Skub »

gremlin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:19 am Didn't Swiss Army knives use to have such an attachment?
Billy Connolly said that was for picking boy scouts out of horses hooves.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Scud

Post by Scud »

As said above, they are generally for picking out mud and inevitably their own crap.
They’re not carried while out riding, generally the feet are picked out before riding.
I think we have 13 horses at the moment, I think 5 are shod for road use or with tapped holes for screwing in studs for competing cross country.
One has a cracked coffin (or pedal) bone at present and is undergoing remedial shoeing, it has a lightweight cast around the foot and a very complex shoe custom made to spread the weight away from the injured area - suffice to say the farrier charges handsomely for this!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Thanks. As an aside I hadn't realised just how many meaning 'frog' has.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

cheb wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:57 pm Thanks. As an aside I hadn't realised just how many meaning 'frog' has.

A bayonet scabbard is hung from a belt in a frog.

That's in the British army, no idea what the French equivalent is.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I follow a couple of hoofy channels on Youtube - I find it really interesting :D

Horses hooves
Idaho Horseshoeing School
https://www.youtube.com/@idahohorseshoeingschool/videos

Graham Parker the Hoof GP from Scotland - brilliant channel though it's cows hooves, not horses.
https://www.youtube.com/@TheHoofGP/videos
Lockdown refugee
Horse

Post by Horse »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:54 pm
Graham Parker the Hoof GP from Scotland - brilliant channel though it's cows hooves, not horses.
Number of times Filly is watching YouTube and I hear " ... and look at the puss and blood being released ... " or similar :o :shock:
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Horse wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:01 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:54 pm
Number of times Filly is watching YouTube and I hear " ... and look at the puss and blood being released ... " or similar :o :shock:
There's quite a lot of that, yes.
Lockdown refugee