Tool purchases

What non motorbike related things are you doing, making, building, planning or designing
Felix

Re: Tool purchases

Post by Felix »

the_priest wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:54 am My wife bought a little hand held chainsaw thingy, battery powered, comes with two batteries and two chains for £40 after the little discount code. Looks like a really beefy circumcision tool, scary!! She is only allowed to use it under supervision and well away from me! I think it will be useful for little trimming jobs with the trees and bushes we have in our large vicarage garden. She is fine with secateurs, but often needs my help with thicker branches, this will mean she can carry on without me needing to do all the work! Win win!
Be carful with the hand holding the branch. These thinks snag and jump just like a larger chainsaw. The sawdust also gets throwing back towards you so if face is in the line of fine get the goggles on :thumbup: I use one quite often and they are great. Over heat quick though but give it a few minutes and its good to go again.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I have goggles for her, flight ones, so she looks "cool".
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

After our holiday, M and I spent 4 days in the UK at her mum's. Just enough time to buy and get delivery of a flat top TCT saw blade for my table saw and a pair of dovetail track clamps.

Impossible to get a flat top circular saw blade here in Turkey (should have bought 2 I suppose!) so I can now get on with a couple of projects and not have to faff around cleaning up rebates, finger joints etc. The clamps are for a table saw jig to hold odd shaped work pieces that need a straight cut edge. I'll take a couple of pics when it's all done.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Stuck my head into a local tool shop today and saw a Bosch 254 mm flat top circular saw blade, correct size for my table saw.Suddenly, after being unavailable in Turkey and my bringing one from UK they have a dozen sitting there. However at £31 and nearly twice what I paid in the UK they can keep them.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

So, towards the backend of last year, my mother died. She got to 90 years old, travelled all over the world, was driving her own car til two days before her death and still lived in the house she loved til the end so she did alright as far as I saw it.
She didn't leave much money cos she enjoyed her life with it which I'm also fine wih
The silver block plane (Veritas NX60) in Nickle Resist iron is pretty much what I bought with the sum total of the money I got in my sixth share of that money.
It's nice but given the choice I'd rather she were still alive and healthy but we don't get that choice.
The other two are a Lignum Vitae soled ECE standard angle and low angled Luban rebate blockplane that I've had for a while shown so people can see the scale better.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

demographic wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:47 pm So, towards the backend of last year, my mother died. She got to 90 years old, travelled all over the world, was driving her own car til two days before her death and still lived in the house she loved til the end so she did alright as far as I saw it.
She didn't leave much money cos she enjoyed her life with it which I'm also fine wih
The silver block plane (Veritas NX60) in Nickle Resist iron is pretty much what I bought with the sum total of the money I got in my sixth share of that money.
It's nice but given the choice I'd rather she were still alive and healthy but we don't get that choice.
The other two are a Lignum Vitae soled ECE standard angle and low angled Luban rebate blockplane that I've had for a while shown so people can see the scale better.
Sorry to hear about your mum, but sounds like she lived her life properly.
non quod, sed quomodo
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Başınız sağolsun demo.

That Veritas block plane is a lovely bit of kit. Every time you use it you'll think of your mum and I'm sure it'll get lots of use. I love having to pull out my little Stanley block plane as it's one of my favourite tools to use. Doesn't conjure up any memories though.
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

That plane is lovely , i am not into woodwork but i have been to the woodwork show at Harrogate
a few times and love some of the tools on show.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Harley M8 oil filter placement is less than ideal, I've got a proper socket for it but if that fails to do the job it's not possible to drive a screw driver through the filter, so belt n braces I've ordered a pair of;

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:05 am Harley M8 oil filter placement is less than ideal, I've got a proper socket for it but if that fails to do the job it's not possible to drive a screw driver through the filter, so belt n braces I've ordered a pair of;
I've been using one of those for years. Never fails to remove a filter & was cheap as chips from Horrible Fright. I've thought about buying the proper sockets a few times, but can't justify the buy when I have this doodad.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

4 ton Porta Power.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:26 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:05 am Harley M8 oil filter placement is less than ideal, I've got a proper socket for it but if that fails to do the job it's not possible to drive a screw driver through the filter, so belt n braces I've ordered a pair of;
I've been using one of those for years. Never fails to remove a filter & was cheap as chips from Horrible Fright. I've thought about buying the proper sockets a few times, but can't justify the buy when I have this doodad.
I bought one when I couldn’t get the filter off my K 8 bandit- I realised afterwards the filter had probably never been changed even though it had service stamps in the book.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

asmethurst99 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:58 am I bought one when I couldn’t get the filter off my K 8 bandit- I realised afterwards the filter had probably never been changed even though it had service stamps in the book.
Mine is gonna get a workout on the F350. The filter holds damn near a half gallon. At least it's mounted the right way up for pre-filling before putting it on the truck, so no dry start after changing the oil. I'll also be hammering a punch through the bottom of the old one to drain it before removal.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:54 am 4 ton Porta Power.
Jesus, how much fibre do you eat?
non quod, sed quomodo
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I bought myself an airless paint sprayer today. I had done my research and decided against them for decorating the spare room but they had them in Lidl and it was calling to me. I may possibly regret this.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

An axle do dad

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mussels wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:53 am I bought myself an airless paint sprayer today. I had done my research and decided against them for decorating the spare room but they had them in Lidl and it was calling to me. I may possibly regret this.
The paint needs FAR MORE stirring than you think if add any water to it. You'll know you didn't stir it enough when you suddenly get almost straight water instead of paint..even though you've been doing just fine for 15 minutes.. which immediately runs down the wall to the floor.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Went surfing for a new spirit level to replace my old one which has pooped the bed, ended up down a rabbit hole and came up after ordering;

MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Some new pliers

Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

A few recent purchases:
IMG_0147.jpeg
IMG_0147.jpeg (24.61 KiB) Viewed 733 times
23g pin nailer for fine finishing work (detailed trims on architraves is the first job
IMG_0146.jpeg
IMG_0146.jpeg (32.28 KiB) Viewed 733 times
18v 90mm gas less framing / first fix nailer - plus around 8000 various length nails - courtesy of eBay discount vouchers 15% off IIRC. Hikoki have a spend £xxx get a free etc deal on at the moment, so a third battery is on its way
IMG_0145.jpeg
IMG_0145.jpeg (21.21 KiB) Viewed 733 times
Again, courtesy of eBay discount vouchers, 15% off