Buying a van

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Brickie

Re: Buying a van

Post by Brickie »

I had two T5s (both bloody noisy and unreliable) (and expensive). Then a nicely species 5 series estate, a 7 series, then two Trafics. Which are a lovely drive cheap to run and I'd have another. But: i wouldn't own one more than say 5 years old, no reason probably other than prejudice. They've both been (touches wood) totally reliable. Both and the T5s bought new. Ply lining kit cost about £250 installed and it was a weekend's easy work to carpet everything inside. Didn't bother to do this with the second renault - it made little difference to the noise and compared to the vwdub (and plenty other things) they're quiet. The later van has the 3.0 ltr engine which is quieter, smoother, and pulls better.

Insurance has double twice in two years pretty much.

They cost a stack less than a transit custom.

Go drive some
Brickie

Post by Brickie »

I had two T5s (both bloody noisy and unreliable) (and expensive). Then a nicely specced 5 series estate, a 7 series, then two Trafics. Which are a lovely drive cheap to run and I'd have another. But: i wouldn't own one more than say 5 years old, no reason probably other than prejudice. They've both been (touches wood) totally reliable. Both and the T5s bought new. Ply lining kit cost about £250 installed and it was a weekend's easy work to carpet everything inside. Didn't bother to do this with the second renault - it made little difference to the noise and compared to the vwdub (and plenty other things) they're quiet. The later van has the 3.0 ltr engine which is quieter, smoother, and pulls better.

Insurance has double twice in two years pretty much.

They cost a stack less than a transit custom.

Go drive some
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:59 pm It appears that we're not in Kansas anymore and I hate to mix my fantasy literature but I am Alice Pleasance Liddell and RTTL is the rabbit hole where The Pony, the Burberry cap wearing, JDM Supra driving real deal badboy of the internets has morphed into a white van man that drives a hybrid taxi for his daily bread :thumbup:

We all get old and boring at some point Pony :)
The van is black. I will get some photos at some point.

I'm a scrimping millionaire. But just not a millionaire.
Potter

Post by Potter »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:57 am But just not a millionaire.
You probably are, the definition is a million quid net worth (not cash in the bank), which doesn't take much if you include property.
By the accepted definition above, I'd venture that most people on here are.
MyLittleStudPony

weeksy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:28 am
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:27 am I got a Tourneo Custom LWB. Which I think is basically a Transit with nine seats.

It's pukka as fuck! I'm a vanny now! So be careful or I'll fight you outside a pub!
Needs way more pics.... SWB or LWB ? I assume LWB
It's a LWB, 2017, 2 litre diesel, automatic, titanium. Nine leather seats! The kids like it. Loads of room in the boot too.
v1.jpg
v1.jpg (363.99 KiB) Viewed 803 times
v2.jpg
v2.jpg (253.7 KiB) Viewed 803 times
v3.jpg
v3.jpg (222.43 KiB) Viewed 803 times
Brickie

Post by Brickie »

Lovely motor. Very nice.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:16 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:27 am I got a Tourneo Custom LWB. Which I think is basically a Transit with nine seats.

It's pukka as fuck! I'm a vanny now! So be careful or I'll fight you outside a pub!
It's a LWB, 2017, 2 litre diesel, automatic, titanium. Nine leather seats! The kids like it. Loads of room in the boot too.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg
Nice, change the oil every 8k miles not the 30k miles they can run too ! Gives them half a chance of not chewing the wet belt up. Also have a Ford dealer check the belt. Lovely vans though.
MyLittleStudPony

I'm getting about 35mpg which isn't bad I guess as it's an auto.

How do you wash the things? I'd need a step ladder.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:31 pm How do you wash the things? I'd need a step ladder.
You pay an Eastern European to do it.
MyLittleStudPony

KungFooBob wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:32 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:31 pm How do you wash the things? I'd need a step ladder.
You pay an Eastern European to do it.
I see that is an option but by the time you've queued up and they've done it, I could have done it myself for nawt.

"Hey Poland, you make car cleaning, make car cleaning?"
MyLittleStudPony

I've been using it a bit, but not a lot. It's really only for when I've got all the kids. We're really enjoying it.

It is a little noisier than a Prius but fine.

I phoned the Ford dealer to ask them to inspect the wet belt. The receptionist sounded like she had no idea what I was talking about. But she checked the reg number for recalls. And guess what, it has one. For checking the wet belt. So Ford will do that for me, for nawt. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out.
Potter

Post by Potter »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:52 pm I've been using it a bit, but not a lot. It's really only for when I've got all the kids. We're really enjoying it.

It is a little noisier than a Prius but fine.
Our old tranny got used as a daily and it was fine.
We decided we didn’t need two cars and a van so we sold one of them and used the van as a daily.

We only sold it really because we ended up both with company cars and I’d stopped racing so we didn’t need a van. I’d have another as a daily driver if the need arose.
MyLittleStudPony

Couchy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 pm

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg
Nice, change the oil every 8k miles not the 30k miles they can run too ! Gives them half a chance of not chewing the wet belt up. Also have a Ford dealer check the belt. Lovely vans though.
I called a local Ford dealer and asked if they would inspect the cambelt for me. The receptionist didn't seem to know what I was talking about and kept saying "which service do you want to bring it in for?". She asked for the reg number so she could put it in their system and check for recalls. And a recall did show up. For them to inspect the cambelt.

I took it in and they inspected the cambelt. They said it shows signs of deterioration which aren't too bad, but they're still going to replace the cambelt (and associated parts) for me under the recall. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:11 pm

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg
I called a local Ford dealer and asked if they would inspect the cambelt for me. The receptionist didn't seem to know what I was talking about and kept saying "which service do you want to bring it in for?". She asked for the reg number so she could put it in their system and check for recalls. And a recall did show up. For them to inspect the cambelt.

I took it in and they inspected the cambelt. They said it shows signs of deterioration which aren't too bad, but they're still going to replace the cambelt (and associated parts) for me under the recall. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Result, and once done change oil a lot more regular it’ll be better for it 😃
MyLittleStudPony

Couchy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:33 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:11 pm

Result, and once done change oil a lot more regular it’ll be better for it 😃
I will. Two years / 20,000 miles is a crazy interval, especially for a 2 litre diesel. I think Toyota (example of a reliable brand) say all their vehicles should have their oil changed every 10,000 miles.

I suspect I'll probably only do about 5000 miles a year in the van, almost all longer journeys and will change the oil at least once a year.

I should look into if the automatic gearbox needs an oil change too.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:48 am
I've just had the oil changed in the DSG box on the T6, it cost more than the last service.
MyLittleStudPony

Pirahna wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:21 am
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:48 am
I've just had the oil changed in the DSG box on the T6, it cost more than the last service.
I had the DSG box oil changed on my Arteon, I think it cost about £400.

I'm not sure if the Ford has a conventional auto box or one of these modern dual clutch ones. I suspect it's the latter as it'a bit jerky.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I still say you should have had it large, eight seater supercharged Range Rover on 22" rims.
You only live once matey :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

So to keep the Van thread going I've been looking/wondering into what's next for me and the lad.

I REALLY want a Transit, but the £1000 bill for the wet belt does worry me in terms of costs, along with the possibility of failure of course. I could negate this a little as it'll have Ford Warranty but i'd really prefer not to need to use that.

So it then boils down to 'what instead' The Transit was the biggest/best in terms of 3 passenger space for trips. Well, if you have a van, if you go Dual Cab then that's less of an issue, but massively shrinks the loading area for bikes.

The need and want requirements are sometimes different. If we are doing overnighters we'd LOVE to have the ability for a 'camper' / conversion. It would make certain aspects SOOOOO much nicer.
But then the weekend after we've got an uplift day where i've got 3 bikes in the back of the van, due to uplift stuff you don't want to be removing/fitting wheels each time, roll in, roll out. Which means the camper doesn't really work.

So i'm thinking something more like a MWB Sprinter really, but need to look into engines as i think they're now running the problematic Ford engine...

I'm in the Alps next week with my mate who owns a van company so going to pick his brains over beers.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

My VW is what you call a dual cab. There's no bulkhead and rear seats fold or can be removed, so it's a 3 seat van or a 6 seat people carrier. There's a big size difference when you move up to the next size van, here's my ex camper next to the Kombi. The camper is on BFG's which make it look higher and the Kombi is a bit lower than standard, but you'll get the idea. As soon as you move away from a normal wheelbase van you start having to think a bit more about where you're taking it, parking it etc.