Touring on your own?

Anything to do with being out and about, whether on your own or looking to arrange trips and adventures with forum members
Potter

Touring on your own?

Post by Potter »

I have spent large portions of my adult life working in remote areas and most often alone, or even if I was around a few other people they usually spoke no English and I didn't speak their language, we all had our tasks and we didn't even try to communicate much.

I was ok with it, I learned to enjoy my own company, etc, but tbh I think it made me a bit weird, I got to a point where I only wanted to be alone.
But now I prefer to be around other people, for most of the time, being alone is lonely.

Anyway...I wondered why some of you go touring alone, I could make assumptions, but I thought I'd ask and hear it from you.
Noggin

Re: Touring on your own?

Post by Noggin »

I used to tour alone cos I didn’t have anyone to go with that wanted to do the same thing !!!

Same with TDs. If I wanted to go (and could afford to) I just did

The first time I did it was to the IoM for the TT. The guys I knew that had bikes had talked about the TT for the 10+ years I’d known them. Then, when I got a bike and said “let’s book” they all shuffled off and we’re washing their hair that fortnight.

So I packed up the BB (with faaaaar too much stuff - but it was my first trip away longer than a couple of days! And first solo!) and I went. It rained a LOT. The island was quite subdued the first few days (I arrived trackside from the ferry as David Jeffries had the accident) but it was the most incredible experience

So, I carried on. If I wanted to go somewhere I just did.

Equally. I’m pretty ok being on my own. And generally found that people would come and talk to the mad girl on her own with a Blackbird 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I have never been able to decide if I prefer touring alone or as a group as there are advantages (and disadvantages) to both so I'd have to say that I love both and usually do a bit of both every year.

I'm off to Wales on my own at the end of the month and then the Picos in a small group at the end of May. I'm looking forward to both for different reasons.

The main negative with traveling on my own is that there's no one to look after my gear while I go to the loo.
Lockdown refugee
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

In answers to Potters question, because I prefer it, I find most people mildly annoying, and if I spend too much time with them that moves to annoying.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Never toured alone, always with a pillion. Done a few long trips (with pillion) in small groups too.

Going it alone has no attraction. There's a degree of resilience in a small group (and eating alone in restaurants etc is pretty dull). So, I'm a 2 people, minimum, traveller. :D

(I'm OK with my own company in other circumstances - have lived and worked away for long periods solo, but that's not leisure).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I enjoy both. The riding aspect I definitely enjoy more on my own and, as I tend to do quite high daily mileage when touring, that’s the main aspect of the trip.

I abhor group riding. Riding with one other trusted mate is ok, but even then I like to go at my own pace, stop for a breather or a pic when I want and not have to consider anyone else.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

I prefer it, I set my schedule and decide what I want to do without having to cater to the whims of anyone else.
Not that I go on epic tours mind, just a day or 2 out and about on my tod
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

This year I'll be in France on my own for a couple of weeks then meeting my mates for the last week.
I've toured & backpacked a lot on my own,I find it easy.I've noticed that when I tour with my mates they tend to stay together whilst I go off & talk to people.
The biggest setback when traveling with my mates is that good as they are,in the past they required a lot of 'encouragement' to get out of their usual routine.Before covid I had been trying to get them to do that NC500 for a couple of years,nothing hapened until the funeral of one of our mates & the penny finally dropped,since then we've had a week in Scotland,week in Ireland,a weekend away in Wales & a week at the Classic TT, this year I'm meeting them for a week in the Ardennes.They're good company,good friends,but I'm quite happy to set off on my own & see what the day brings.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I love the idea, but i expect the reality is somewhat less exciting. Obviously mine would be on the MTB rather than a motorbike, but 2 months in a van, cruising round the Alps, Finale Ligure, Lenzerheide, etc etc does sound somewhat epic... but i expect the reality is pretty dull sitting in hotels alone all evening.
If you got the right weather and spent all evening sitting outside a bar chatting shit with randoms, maybe it'd work...

Add my boy into the mix and Mrs Weeksy... then, sure, i'm all over it.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I prefer riding alone, but I do like touring with others, so that we can get together for a beer and meal at night. I do both, but the Lone Ranger ones are usually shorter and in the UK.

Most of my big trips have been with a commercial organiser, and IME it takes away a load of hassle and is a bit of a comfort blanket too if stuff goes wrong. Again IME a good 90% of the people I meet on these tours have been fine, the odd 'peculiar' one tends to bugger off alone anyway.

I am leaning towards doing more lone tours, mainly to go to places I want to go, I've done most of the popular touring routes.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

On the motorbike i'm not a fan of riding with other people as I often feel pressured to ride at their speed and keep them in sight, maybe having comms would take away this insecurity but have yet to try as all of my admittedly very small social circle are from cycling.

On the road bike I would definitely prefer to be on my own, i've done a few road tours with other people and there's so much fannying about it drives me mental.

On the MTB i think i'd like someone to be riding with me in case I kipper myself off the beaten track and out of sight of passers by
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

The only "touring" I've done longer than a few days was my trips in the campervan. My 2nd trip out, by myself, for 3 or 4 months was cathartic as hell and exactly what I needed at the time.

But, like Cousin Jack, I find riding with other people good fun mainly because you can shoot the shit and banter in the times when you're not on the bike.
In terms of keeping up with the pack, comms gear helps, but using a pre-agreed group-system just makes life easier, otherwise just plan stopping points and say you'll meet them there.

I also like riding solo if I have somewhere to get to by a set time - because it's just just down to me to get it done the way I want to do it.
non quod, sed quomodo
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I think it depends on what you want from touring as to whether doing it alone suits you, I ride because I enjoy riding a motorcycle, so I like long rides with few stops, I like riding at my own pace (and that pace can vary) and I'd rather read a book in the evening than socialize.
I like getting away from people, work is more than enough social interaction for me.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I prefer traveling by myself because I'm annoying. One habit is being pathologically punctual.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

cheb wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:15 pm I prefer traveling by myself because I'm annoying. One habit is being pathologically punctual.
3 hours early is not "punctual"...

:D
non quod, sed quomodo
cheb

Post by cheb »

Guilty as charged. But when you live on an island that sometimes only has one ferry on and off per day it can make one mindful of not missing it.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I generally prefer riding alone but touring is better with someone else just for a chat and a pint in the evening. Will find out in June as when I go to Cornwall I might be on my Jones for a night or 2. The downside I find with being alone is that I tend to stop and look at stuff/rest less.
Brickie

Post by Brickie »

I've done fair bit of touring alone and wouldn't do it any other way. One of the attractions of motorbikes is the (largely false) sense of freedom you get, its just that feeling could turn left, could turn right. If you give yourself a week or two you can cover some huge distances (all with "no particular place to go"). There aren't really many things you can do in life without having such clearly defined outcomes.

There's another aspect, having another bike in my rear view, or following it gets on my nerves and I find it distracting to the point of being unsafe. I recently started out with an advanced riders course and it became clear after a morning that while it was quite interesting and I was doing well I wasn't going to continue as having that headlight following me around just got on my nerves. By now I'm quite well aware of the faults in my riding.

That "sense of freedom" which is so strong with bikes you can taste it (but is largely illusory) would be an interesting topic by itself.

If you camp then its better still : you don't have to make any arrangements, just go on till your arse is sore, then find a convenient stop. I do find that having a pen and notepad for all the cafe stops adds to the enjoyment, even if I never review them on return. Call that weird.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Unless all members of a group are of very similar riding ability (which is unusual) then there will always be someone who's bored with the pace and wants to go faster, and/or someone who feels out of their depth and comfort zone. This can be true even if there's only two of you. Of course if you get 2 (or more) riders of very similar ability it can quite easily turn into a race. This may or may not be a good thing...

I'm very comfortable riding on my own (I do it 99% of the time) but can also enjoy group riding. If I'm riding in a group I do want to be sure there are no real nutters in the group, as that can get very wearing very quickly.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:53 pm I'm very comfortable riding on my own (I do it 99% of the time) but can also enjoy group riding. If I'm riding in a group I do want to be sure there are no real nutters in the group, as that can get very wearing very quickly.
I used to do ride outs with a group in MK years ago, but gave up because I didn't like some of the riding.

Blocking roundabouts so that 50 bikes can stick together is unecessary and just pisses drivers off. And steaming up the offside at 130 overtaking people who are themselves overtaking cars is just plain dangerous.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!