Devon/Cornwall trip

Anything to do with being out and about, whether on your own or looking to arrange trips and adventures with forum members
Supermofo

Devon/Cornwall trip

Post by Supermofo »

A couple of my brothers mates are heading to Cornwall via the A39 which is something I've wanted to do for ages so I'm tagging along for part of their holiday. They are meeting in Bridgewater on a Sat and overnighting there as it's cheap and near the start of the A39. One's coming from up north and me and the other guy will be coming from Herts. So, I'll take a nice long A/B road trip down there as it's not too far so no point in using motorways for that.

Sunday will be the A39 via Porlock, Lynmouth etc down to Port Isaac for the 2nd night. It's only about 125 miles or something like that, but the plan is to see stuff and stop often. They've already booked a B&B so I need to find somewhere close to them ideally so will sort that. There's a chance another mate might come with me, if so then not a biggie if I can't get close to them for a pint in the evening but would be nice if we could.

They are then staying in Cornwall for a few days to explore but I'll be heading back. I'm going to see if I can stay with my uncle in Yeovil and then that way I can head from Port Isaac to Tavistock then through the middle of Darmoor up to Exeter and across to Yeovil via some nice roads. Again, about 125 miles so no pressure to make up miles and can stop and have a look about. Else I might look at staying somewhere down that sort of way so I don't have to ride back from Port Isaac in one hit. Not the end of the world if I do, but nicer if I split it over 2 days and enjoy the A/B - road routes.

Any pointers for places to go via/see?
Cousin Jack

Re: Devon/Cornwall trip

Post by Cousin Jack »

Good road ideas.

Sennen via St Just up to St Ives. Maybe stop at Botallack and/or Geevor mine
From Hayle, via Gwithian, Godrevey, Portreath, Porthtowan, St Agnes to Perranporth.
From Newquay to Padstow via the coast road.

All narrow and twisty, can be done in either direction.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

If you're passing Yeovil on the way back and have any interest in aircraft, visit the Museum at Yeovilton.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

The Meadery in St Agnes used to be ace. 🍷🍗
Yamaha rocket 3
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Places to visit, depends on what interests you.

Harbour villages, lots but especially Mousehole, Porthleven, Mevagissey, Charlestown, Fowey, Looe, Polperro. Or tiny ones, like Coverack, Mullion Cove, Polkerris,
Museums, Maritime (Falmouth), Cable & Wireless (Porthcurnow), Royal Cornwall (Truro).
Mining history, Botallack, Geevor, lots of stuff around Camborne/Redruth but often poorly signposted.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Cheers all, will have a look at Google maps re places/roads :thumbup:

Been watching Mr Red Trousers (Michael Portillo) do the South West Coast path and can't wait to have a bimble about to be honest, mainly scenery and villages etc
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I think I've made my opinion of the A39 clear in the past, shitty little road that it is.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:38 pm I think I've made my opinion of the A39 clear in the past, shitty little road that it is.
Bits of it are OK, other bits are shitty. Just like most roads.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:53 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:38 pm I think I've made my opinion of the A39 clear in the past, shitty little road that it is.
Bits of it are OK, other bits are shitty. Just like most roads.
I give in, Barnstaple to Bideford is quite nice.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

My uncle's said he'll put me up on the way back so will definitely make it a 4 day ride.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:57 pm My uncle's said he'll put me up on the way back so will definitely make it a 4 day ride.
Is your uncle called Monty?
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Just booked Bridgewater Premier Inn so we are definitely on. Couldn't get anywhere for a reasonable price in Port Isaac, except staying in people's houses for 80-90 quid, sod that. So booked another Premier Inn in Wadebridge which was only 45 quid.

Been looking at routes and think we'll only be on the A39 in places as wanna pop along the coast in places. But final route won't be for a while.

When I'm on me tod and looking at the map from Wadebridge hopefully I'll be able to find some interesting roads to Dartmoor, through to 2 Bridges, then up to Exeter on the B roads. Bit of A30 then might head off east on more b roads to Yeovil.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Dartmoor pubs, The Cleave in Lustleigh and The Plume of Feathers in Princetown, you could try the Royal Oak in Meavy but its changed hands since we were there last year.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Gear Farm for a proper pasty...
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

B3357 from Tavistock to Two Bridges, then B3212 via Moretonhampstead to Exeter is a cracking road. One of my favourites for bimbling.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm Dartmoor pubs, The Cleave in Lustleigh and The Plume of Feathers in Princetown, you could try the Royal Oak in Meavy but its changed hands since we were there last year.
Perfect as dunno exact timings but should imagine I'll be around that area near lunchtime :thumbup:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm B3357 from Tavistock to Two Bridges, then B3212 via Moretonhampstead to Exeter is a cracking road. One of my favourites for bimbling.
That's the exact route I was looking at on the basis it looked the wrigglest :obscene-drinkingcheers: Glad it translates as a ride to how it looks on a map. Also been doing street view and the scenery looks stunning. Praying its dry
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Just planned my routes for the part of the trip where I'm on my Jones. Very happy with the Wadebridge to Yeovil route. Gonna go South East through Bodmin across to Callington, Tavistock and then pick up the B road to 2 Bridges, north east to Moretonhampstead, skirt Exeter, across and down towards Seaton and then then cut up the B roads via Blackdown and Crewkerne to Yeovil.

Back from Yeovil I'm not so happy with as it's always a pain having to deal with anything from Reading eastwards. Going A30, up towards Hungerford but under Newbury, skirt Reading and head to Henley, Marlow and back towards St Albans, Hertford from there.

I've got the route down to Bridgewater but just as a backup as I'll be following my brother down. We are meeting at On Yer Bike and following a decent mix of A roads past Hungerford. I haven't got the Bridgewater to Port Isaac route but again I'll be following others for that.

Now just hope it's not raining all the fucking time! I've bought an over jacket as well just in case, nothing like finding your jacket isn't waterproof on day 1!!
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Rainy bike trips ain't that bad,. Enjoy the bike time and the evening beer's. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dodgy69 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:48 pm Rainy bike trips ain't that bad,. Enjoy the bike time and the evening beer's. 👍
From the sounds of it, hopefully it'll be showers rather than prolonged rain. Last longer range Met Office forecast was saying the south was going to be fairly windy so the showers should move through rather than hang about. Current forecast for Sat-Tues is 40-60% change of rain at all times on all days, but hoping that might be a bit of rain, then dry period, shower, dry etc.