What's your job ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yambo

Re: What's your job ?

Post by Yambo »

I joined the army at 16 and 16 months later was in Germany. I had a decent career leaving in Jan 1991 as a Warrant Officer and not having a clue what I really wanted to do. Spent a couple of years managing the second largest driver training contract in the UK whilst teaching courses for the Cert of Professional Competence in Road Haulage Operations then got made redundant after another part of the company fell apart. Did a bit of HGV driving work then got made redundant when the company pulled out of Preston. I still didn't know what I really wanted to do.

Became a m/cycle courier and spent 6 years based in Manchester and covering the whole country and some advanced driver training work. Got depression and packed it in. Was asked to do some road safety and road transport writing work which paid the bills and some more advanced driver training work mostly for haulage companies and reps. I then applied for a job with the Lancs Road Safety Partnership finding sites for mobile speed enforcement. Bite me. I was then asked to apply internally for a job with LCC Road Safety Engineering Group, specifically the AIP team. I wasn't actually qualified for the job but they gave it to me anyway and I spent the next few years studying accident blackspots and doing a bit of cheap engineering to reduce the number of traffic accidents at that point. I loved the job. I was good at it and it was something that I really wanted to do. But it was a temporary contract and Mrs Y and I had made the decision to retire to here so I left. My head of section told me that LCC's Traffic and Safety Section head wanted me to stay and take up a permanent position either in Safety Engineering or Traffic Management but the decision had been made.

I'm retired but still busy. I've made enough boats now but repair them for others if asked, fix cars and bikes (been doing that most of my life) and make things. Usually out of wood. Nothing fancy as I'm no craftsman. I have quite a few hobbies. I'm doing just what I always wanted to do. :)
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Traffic Systems Engineer/designer. Designing traffic signal junctions, crossings Variable message signs , ANPR, and other Urban Traffic control stuff. Worked for a couple of county councils, then a large cosultancy and now a small consultancy. Worked all over the UK and backwards and forwards to Dubai over a three year period. Inthe nice weather I'll stand on the street corner and adjust the signal times

Have remote access from home to thousands of traffic signals and whilst I can change the timings remotely I can't make them go green at the same time to conflicting movements, have been an expert witness though a couple of times when two drivers who crashed claimed they had green at the same time.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Been a 'web-dev/software-engineer' (depends on how what I do is viewed) since 2000.

Prior to that I was a mechanical design engineer, initially designing metal cases to fit hi-fi into (Cambridge Audio, the re-released 'modern' Audio Innovations Alto), then a brief stint doing vehicle lighting:
eg I had a hand in fixing the design of this thing : (although that looks like an aftermarket rip-off that doesn't have the added 'spring-clip' to stop it rattling).
and also helped design the long-wheel-base-required side-marker lamps on (iirc) the mk6 Transit).

Currently doing PHP development for a road-safety charitable organisation. We host a software that can give roads a 'safety-rating' based on about 80 different aspects of the road (for each 100m stretch), which is collected into a 'star-rating', kinda like the 5-star NCAP safety ratings for vehicles. The main appeal to the job is that I'm not simply developing stuff to make someone (more) money, this software can be used to helped governments/councils/organisations decide how to make road improvements that will help prevent accidents.
Last edited by Rockburner on Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
non quod, sed quomodo
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

GuzziPaul wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:46 pm Traffic Systems Engineer/designer. Designing traffic signal junctions, crossings Variable message signs , ANPR, and other Urban Traffic control stuff.
In my experience, Traffic Signal Engineers are control freaks. :lol:
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

I like to diversify :)

Day job is digital design/user experience. Basically designing websites/mobile apps etc, or optimising the user experience. Worked for a variety of companies contracting, but mainly designing newspaper websites.

Secondary job is photography. Have a small agency (of 1!) and do a variety of work but has mainly been weddings, conferences, awards ceremonies etc, plus a bit of aerial drone stuff. Was hoping to do more of all this but this year has killed it off of course.

Third job is writing. More of a hobby but published first book in 2018.

Fourth job (even more of a hobby) combines several of the above in having a very niche but quite popular blog and I sell a bit of merch from that.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Once upon a time, I worked for BT, originally on Strowger construction and planning, then moved up to London where over about 30 years I did logistics, network engineering, product management, process engineering and project management.

Finally left BT in 95, and spent a while working for an IBM offshoot, and then contracting for Worldcom and Nortel.

The telecom bubble burst, so I moved on to aircraft engineering with Monarch, starting as a commercial analyst and ending up as their management accountant, before f for the finally retiring for about the 3rd time

Varied, interesting, but not really a coherent career path.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I love these threads. The diversity in careers always amazes me. Where else would you find such a broad church of skills?

For my sins, I work in the City (well, dining room at present. Well, signed off sick at present too). Always worked in operations (aka 'the back office') settling trades of many types, be it bonds, repos, derivatives, FX, MM. Last couple if years I have drifted into intraday liquidity management, which sounds more complicated than it is: basically I make sure we have enough money in the right places to cover our obligations during the course if the day and making sure all currencies are nice and flat at the end of day.

God, but I'd love to retire....
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

gremlin wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:02 pm God, but I'd love to retire....
When the time comes, you won't! :D

DAMHIKT.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Claude

Post by Claude »

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Claude wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:24 pm
If you work for then we're going to fall out.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Left Kings, London in 78 with a degree in botany / zoology and an idea that computer programming would be the way forward so took a job at a telex agency that was just having a computer installed, with a view to learning how to program it. I turned out to be hopeless. Got the sack for asking for more than 10 days holiday a year ("you want MORE???") and ended up at a photographic studio in Chinatown where I did some touching up of negatives (remember this - https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O759 ... frey-neil/ - that was one of mine :) ) but when I wasn't doing that I was running around on the bike picking up / delivering stuff for them.

At the end of that summer of 1980, I embarked on Plan B - teaching. In six months I discovered I hated teenage kids! So dropped out of that course, went back to courier work in spring 81 but this time full-time. Funded myself through a Masters in ecology, couldn't get a job that paid any money (although there is one bypass in Kent that was scrapped largely because of the environment impact study I provided), so kept on with the courier work till 1995 when I did a training course to become a CBT instructor. In early 1997, I was one of the first Direct Access qualified instructors in the country, and I also set up my own independent advanced training school that spring - Survival Skills. I carried on working in basic training until 2007 when it became increasingly difficult to make a profit with new schools popping up all over the place, and decided to teach only post-test skills.

Along with the training, I've been writing for MAG since 2002 and have self-published a range of books on better biking. I've worked with Bucks county council, I spent several years with Somerset Road Safety Partnership working on a rider safety scheme at Castle Coombe circuit, the Association of European Motorcycle Manufacturers ACEM got me to research and storyboard a series of cartoons that were published as 'Lucky 13', in 2011 I began working with Kent Fire and Rescue on what became the very first 'Biker Down' course in the country for which I created the 'Science Of Being Seen' presentation that's now delivered by many of the Biker Down teams across the country, and I also deliver the classroom 'Crash Course' session at KFRS 'Ride Skills' days at Brands Hatch. I've also been involved in the 'No Surprise? No Accident' approach to rider safety. And in 2018 and 2019, I spent Feb / early March working for the New Zealand Transport Authority and the Accident Compensation Corporation on their nationwide 'Shiny Side Up' roadshows.

None of it's made me any decent money but apart from being locked down and unable to work again, thanks to the DVSA banning bike training, I've enjoyed every minute :)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
hawker

Post by hawker »

I am still registered as a vet but nowadays I'm not in practice, a.k.a being retired after my cycling-accident at 7.30pm on 8th August 2012! I am an author instead which has been fun! :lol:

Books = Cows In Trees, because I was indeed once called to a cow stuck up a tall upright tree.
The sequel = The Dog With the Head Transplant!
Both titles are explained in the relevant books!
But after getting the first one published in 2016, I sent a copy to my former boss in East Lancashire saying it is a complimentary copy to say thank you for being such a kind and supportive boss** when I was still a fairly new graduate in 1982. He, David, rang me to say thank you, yes he had enjoyed it and laughed a lot! But then David added, Oh Julian, but you forgot this one!! He reminded me of the case that gives the second book its title!
Having been diagnosed with PTSD and depression after te life-threatening skull fracture etc., and the sudden loss of my career, it was great therapy for me to recall the bizarre and unusual cases rom my career. So sorry, but I was laughing out loud at my own memories of the events in the books, all tales being absolutely true. As I wrote I did create a list of where these oddities occurred and who the client was.

I have to mention that David was excellent because my very first boss when qualified was very different. He, Mr Jolley, was over-bearing and critical. Complaining that my operating was too slow. But not once, ever did he offer to step in and help me with particularly tricky operations! It was a great relief to find a new boss who had a more positive attitude.

Thanks for asking...! :1
Claude

Post by Claude »

cheb

Post by cheb »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:40 pm
Horse wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:18 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:14 pm 3rd (or "live" rail).
What's the reason for all new electrification using overhead cables (with massive associated infrastructure costs)? 3rd rail seems so much simpler.
25KV AC Over Head Like (OHL) is much more electrically efficient and safer. 750V DC is a historic throw back, 1930's era I believe. However the cost to convert the southern region to OHL from Southampton/Bournemouth ish in the west to all the southern London Terminals, including Wessex, Sussex, Kent, Surrey from 3rd rail to OHL would be eye-watering. All the bridges and tunnels would need altering as well as track layouts before the actual cost of the power equipment.

Advantages of 750 DC 3rd rail is its not bothered by high winds, heat but it is limited to about 100mph linespeed, suffers from ice build up issues and from a H&S viewpoint its lethal electricity laying on the floor for anybody to touch. You also need more substations and rectifiers and track circuit breakers as the electrical sections are smaller than for AC OHL.

25KV OHL is more electrically efficient, line speeds can be much higher (look at what TGV's can run at), it is safer as the electricity is up in the air away from curious fingers. However it is unsightly to look at, doesn't like high winds, high temps (sagging cables), dewirement issues can affect many miles of track (picture a break in the contact wire and then a 140mph train with its Pantograph popping the wrong side of the contact wire and into all the support cables).

So each has its pros and cons BUT both will kill you stone dead and it will hurt like fook all the time you are dying and neither will turn off automatically/trip for a frying human!

Sorry to ramble on...........

Can the two methods be combined? OHL on the clear runs and 3rd rail through tunnels for example.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I was a debt collector in Southampton until 1988 then I moved north to go fishing. The chap I worked stuffed his lorry in a hedge and bang went that job. I self retrained as a chimney sweep, have brush will shove it places, and did various jobs to pay the mortgage 1994 or 5 I became a full time househusband, the easiest work I've done.

These days I look after a wind turbine (unaffected by C-19), occasionally drive a large van for money (curtailed by C-19, currently the only hours I do are going into the office to fill in a timesheet that has but the one entry :clap: ), a bit of modelling (not sure yet, risk assessments are being done*) and I volunteer for one of the emergency services (C-19 hero worker status, mere mortals clap for people like me).

*Insert the obvious joke here.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

What I mainly seem to do is project manage software development and system validation. It sounds dull, it is. In my head I'm like Neo in the Matrix.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

cheb wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:34 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:40 pm
Horse wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:18 pm

What's the reason for all new electrification using overhead cables (with massive associated infrastructure costs)? 3rd rail seems so much simpler.
25KV AC Over Head Like (OHL) is much more electrically efficient and safer. 750V DC is a historic throw back, 1930's era I believe. However the cost to convert the southern region to OHL from Southampton/Bournemouth ish in the west to all the southern London Terminals, including Wessex, Sussex, Kent, Surrey from 3rd rail to OHL would be eye-watering. All the bridges and tunnels would need altering as well as track layouts before the actual cost of the power equipment.

Advantages of 750 DC 3rd rail is its not bothered by high winds, heat but it is limited to about 100mph linespeed, suffers from ice build up issues and from a H&S viewpoint its lethal electricity laying on the floor for anybody to touch. You also need more substations and rectifiers and track circuit breakers as the electrical sections are smaller than for AC OHL.

25KV OHL is more electrically efficient, line speeds can be much higher (look at what TGV's can run at), it is safer as the electricity is up in the air away from curious fingers. However it is unsightly to look at, doesn't like high winds, high temps (sagging cables), dewirement issues can affect many miles of track (picture a break in the contact wire and then a 140mph train with its Pantograph popping the wrong side of the contact wire and into all the support cables).

So each has its pros and cons BUT both will kill you stone dead and it will hurt like fook all the time you are dying and neither will turn off automatically/trip for a frying human!

Sorry to ramble on...........

Can the two methods be combined? OHL on the clear runs and 3rd rail through tunnels for example.
Often get dual voltage trains - ac and dc. Also bi-mode and tri-mode powered trains now....
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I always wanted to do IT so joined the RN at 17 to experience the most up to date tech, I left the RN in '99 after getting fed up of maintaining cold war equipment and went to do IT for a bank because I had read bankers were rich. After that I contracted for a while and following the money led me to data science, I spend half my time finding faults in other people's work and the other half doing R&D to help companies sell more stuff to people who didn't realise they needed it. My most pleasing work is when a company tries to work out how to retain customers rather than just getting new ones.

To all the tin foil hatters I don't worry about cookies on my laptop but I avoid anything Amazon as they seem more devious than most companies.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Electronic engineer with, what was then the largest mobile phone maker in the world (but which everyone I met said 'don''t they make car radios - which they did for, e.g. 1970s Ford Cortinas) before moving to ACA training contract for 'Big 6' (now 'Big 4') accountancy firm.
Loved the IPO transaction I got pulled in on, for my whiz-kid spreadsheet skills, and left before qualifying* to work as a consultant on getting finance for 2nd and 3rd (and 4th and fifth) mobile phone network operations as well as nascent internet infrastructure companies first in Europe then more far-flung parts of the world.
Went to work for an operator heading up corporate development but when our IPO was delayed past the summer, and into the bubble bursting I went from a paper £12m profit to an actual £150k loss....not a good year.
Got a job offer as a Director for a big global consulting firm but the it coincided, to the day, with '9/11' and was retracted.
Went licking my wounds** and spending even more money going round the world doing an MBA before spending most of the noughties helping technology and media firms get listings on mostly AIM with a bit of NASDAQ thrown in for good measure.

Spent most of the 2010s helping to build renewable energy companies.
Currently doing up 2 houses to sell, helping my sons get where they want to go (to the extent they know) and wondering where I might find an honest income once the houses are sold.

* thought I'd finish my ACA while working as a consultant but was doing 100+hr weeks so that never happened. Shame as having an ACA means jobs are pretty plentiful and stable.
** although I was really put back losing a very good job/career I know that it is rendered as nothing compared to those who lost their lives and loved ones in the 2001 attacks.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Worked in a steel factory for a while as I needed money, then as a driver for a couple of years, Oh yes, I used to maintain the vehicles in the factory I drove at as well... five years in a bank and some time doing photography and various odd jobs as a student. I spent 25 years working for charities in mainly IT (Microsoft and VM) and H&S and Data Protection GDPR stuff. Facilities management and project manangement as well. Never made a lot of money, but was happy doing what I was doing and could provide for my family. Now ordained as a Deacon and next year to be ordained Priest in the Church of England, so no longer "working" but doing what I am called to do. Which can be pretty much all of the above that I've done already...
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.