What’s say the masses? I need a new car.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
fingerpuk

Re: What’s say the masses? I need a new car.

Post by fingerpuk »

Disco insurance quotes are beyond silly. From “no chance” to “you’re having a laugh”. Seems they get stolen every 2 seconds.

Volvo was boring. Not doing that. Really stuck. Want the Disco but £500 more to insure that than a Porsche… seems a bit silly. And they were honest and said it’ll go up another £400 in a year!!! 🫨
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Given that putting bikes on it/in it is one of your criteria I'd say revisit the van. Travelling with bikes in the back of a van is a lot easier that having them in the back or roof of a car. This is a path I and many others have travelled, you name the bike rack, I've had it, which is why I now have a van. Take bikes out of the equation and then anything goes, get a Ranger Raptor, but not if you're carrying bikes.
fingerpuk

Post by fingerpuk »

Rear seats down I can easily get two bikes in a Disco. But I can’t get luxury travel in a van.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

fingerpuk wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:33 pm Rear seats down I can easily get two bikes in a Disco. But I can’t get luxury travel in a van.
Seriously? I've no idea what vans you're looking at but I'd put a van at the top of my shopping list, a Disco wouldn't appear at all. Before you decide you can live with Disco insurance, check the running costs. It'd be more cost effective to put a lift kit and off road tyres on the Porsche.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Job jobbed :thumbup:

Totally with you on the luxury travel BTW. I've driven plenty of vans, I can only assume that people who reckon they're as nice as cars possess neither ears nor arse nerves.

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

SQ7 or maybe an RS6 Avant. If you want to go fast in a leather seat.
David

Post by David »

I don't need a new one...my 2005 , 202 k scruffy, paint peelly bonnet,shitter V50 just got another years ticket.
David

Post by David »

And it has leather seats and goes qwik.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

David wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:00 pm And it has leather seats and goes qwik.
How quick is qwik?

Anything less than 300bhp and over 6 seconds to 60mph is just a shopping car.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:13 pm Given that putting bikes on it/in it is one of your criteria I'd say revisit the van. Travelling with bikes in the back of a van is a lot easier that having them in the back or roof of a car. This is a path I and many others have travelled, you name the bike rack, I've had it, which is why I now have a van. Take bikes out of the equation and then anything goes, get a Ranger Raptor, but not if you're carrying bikes.
Aye, been there, own van.

I accept it's not luxurious, but I've done 10+ hour drives in it, it's got dab, heated screen, heated seats, cruise, etc. it's 1000 times better than any car for carrying bikes.
David

Post by David »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:02 pm
David wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:00 pm And it has leather seats and goes qwik.
How quick is qwik?

Anything less than 300bhp and over 6 seconds to 60mph is just a shopping car.
Is a quickish shopping trolley..........
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:04 pm
Pirahna wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:13 pm Given that putting bikes on it/in it is one of your criteria I'd say revisit the van. Travelling with bikes in the back of a van is a lot easier that having them in the back or roof of a car. This is a path I and many others have travelled, you name the bike rack, I've had it, which is why I now have a van. Take bikes out of the equation and then anything goes, get a Ranger Raptor, but not if you're carrying bikes.
Aye, been there, own van.

I accept it's not luxurious, but I've done 10+ hour drives in it, it's got dab, heated screen, heated seats, cruise, etc. it's 1000 times better than any car for carrying bikes.
Vans now simply cannot be compared to 20 years ago, a lot of people spend more time in their van than awake in their house so it's good sense to make them as plush as possible.

We have Crafters rebadged as MAN, they're as comfortable as a Golf with as many toys. The only gripe is that they're using car powertrains.
Our 5 tonners use a 2litre Golf engine, the poor things are boosted to 160bhp and average under 20mpg, the 7.5t trucks have 4.5l 160 bhp engines and are within a couple of mpg. The last ones blew up with 130k on them.
fingerpuk

Post by fingerpuk »

Tested a T6 today. Was nice. You were all right.

Testing a Hilux tomorrow. Plenty of room for bikes. Saw a guy with four Surons in one today. Not as practical in terms of a boot space, but I could get one of those boxes.
Vroomy

Post by Vroomy »

If you're looking for something that can double as a chill van but still feels good to drive, maybe check out the Subaru Outback or the Volvo XC70. They're both solid choices for hitting the trails, camping, and hauling bikes, plus they've got those cozy heated seats for the colder days. Not to mention, they fly under the radar more than a Disco 4, and you won't get hit as hard on the insurance.

Oh, and if you end up picking something up from a bit further away, I've used a1autotransport before to bring my Volvo over. They were straight up and made the whole process pretty smooth. Could be worth a look if you find your ideal ride but it's not just around the corner.