What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

Day drinking!! Well, ok, afternoon drinking!

Got a message from a mate about 1.30 saying did I want to catch up with Irish Coffees in the sun? Well, yeah!!! :lol:

So we went to my favourite place and sat in the sun. Two alky coffees down, a normal coffee on the table and she brings out the flask that I know has 'Rusty Nail' in it! LOL So, a shot or so of that in each cup - then shared with the two guys working at the cafe.

We went in to pay (cos the sun had gone behind the mountain and it was cold!) and the owner suggested we try a 'local' (from Annecy) gin - it was nice, for a gin! I am not a fan but could appreciate it!

So, I'm nicely oiled and I think I will not be winning at backgammon - meeting a friend for some evening drinking and backgammon at 18h!! Don't think I'll be evening drinking as I want to be up at 5.30 to walk up the mountain! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Vroomy

Post by Vroomy »

Enjoy your tea and stay warm down there.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

katana wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:04 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:40 am
Haven't read it, apart from the recipes. :lol:
Any interesting reciepes? Cakes?
It's mainly what I'd call pub grub but yes, there's cake (Iced chocolate, Guinness and orange cake and Guinness fruit cake) there's a bread too. The iced chocolate one looks lush/heart attack on a plate :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Felix

Post by Felix »

Vroomy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:51 pm Enjoy your tea and stay warm down there.
Extra pair of pants :thumbup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:11 am
Yorick wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:18 am
Taipan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:39 am

So all paper work and no real vehicle inspection? You cant properly check a vehicle over in 15 minutes! Un defecto en tu idilio... :D
First guy checks all doors, seatbelts, lights etc.
Second does lots of brake tests.
Next guy puts car on suspension and steering rig and checks underneath while he's downstairs.
Last guy does emissions.

Might have been a bit longer than 15 mins, but felt like we were in and out in no time.

The office does all the paperwork.
Out of interest, is rust an issue on cars on the islands, or does the heat keep it at bay?
We followed this old beast today. No idea how old it is.
20240207_134439.jpg
20240207_134439.jpg (710.77 KiB) Viewed 290 times
20240207_134443.jpg
20240207_134443.jpg (730.73 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:27 pm
It's a Santana.

https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Santana
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

20240207_134439.jpg20240207_134443.jpg
Built (or assembled) in Spain sometime between 1961 and 1989 (I suspect they didn't change much in that time :D )
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I finished planting my English Yew hedge,made up to have got that finished before Spring.
It's also the first anniversary of my retirement so I've just ordered a new motorcycle. :thumbup:
Now I'm going to have a couple of beers to celebrate :D
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:00 pm

20240207_134439.jpg20240207_134443.jpg
Built (or assembled) in Spain sometime between 1961 and 1989 (I suspect they didn't change much in that time :D )
They used to make Suzuki SJs around the end of that timeframe, too.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Well, I'm blaming the afternoon alcohol - I got royally beaten at backgammon today!!! The afternoon she taught me we were fairly even, the next time I won about 4-1 (I think!)

Tonight - 6-2 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not playing again after alcohol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now to see if I can remember cribbage (the rules I've been reading really aren't making a lot of sense yet!) ad then see how evenly matched we are on that ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Ski touring - again! But today I had a target, not just walk for an hour or whatever, I wanted to get to the top of the mountain.

The forecast was a bit snowy overnight but just cloudy/clearing by about 6am. Which was my start time.

Didn't actually start till 6.20, and it was too dark to see what the weather high up was doing, so off I went. Was just dark and seemed clear for a while, but as I got to the 30 minute mark, yuck! Walked into cloud and then realised that it was sort of snowing! Well, I think it was snowing - I'd layered up so much that I was quite warm and so any 'flakes' that landed on me melted! And it was too dark to see if it was snow!! LOL

Little bit of fresh snow -

Anyway, kept going BUT I did text a mate. Normally if the vis is good I leave it that I've told a couple of people the night before that I have the plan, and in good vis there's so little chance of anything going wrong on the walk up and I'd be easily spotted by the first pisteurs if it did on the way down (they are usually out and about around 7am). But this morning it didn't feel that good! I figured that Rich would be up as they run a chalet so it seemed sort of sensible to text him and let him know where I was. I just sent updates till I skied back and then sent one last one once I was back in Centre.

So, just after texting Rich, I really struggled to walk up a really steep bit. Not because I couldn't but cos my skis just kept slipping - which is the first time for me (happens sometimes if you go too steep, but I was crossing, not going straight up!!). Anyway - took my skis off to see if I could walk up with them a bit (stoopid idea!) and realised that there was packed snow under the skins :o :o :o No idea why that should happen and it's not happened before!! So I need to have a chat with another tourer sometime to find out if it was the weird conditions (really wasn't cold) or something I was doing!!

Really odd-

The view down as it got lighter -

Finally I got to see the top of the mountain I was aiming for -

But, a bit later, and a bit further up, :( :(

So I quit. Light was flat as hell and it was still quite cloudy in places, and since I actually have goggles this winter, I thought I'd change the lenses for the low light version so that I had a better chance of getting down safer!! Well sodding hell!! Ten minutes later I gave up. No way could I refit the low light lens, or the original lens :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: So, just put my glasses on and had a very gentle (and slightly wobbly - cloud always makes me feel unbalanced!!) ski back to my mates cafe!!

When I got back down, it was partly clearing, but still cloud over the mountain I was aiming for!! (It's the easier of the two!!) Well, a bit of cloud, it's the one behind the trees to the right of the one that is clearly visible with no cloud on it!!!!

But, although I'm bloody knackered (didn't sleep well last night) I am quite pleased I made it as far as I did in those conditions. Here's hoping next week there will be some good weather mornings and I can try again :D :D :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Booked the Tiger in for a service and first MOT for next week. Just realised that it should be my first day back working.

Didn't plan that particularly well did I? Might have to see if I can be signed off for another week. :lol:

Edit- although given the amount of blood that I'm still passing when I go for a slash, I'm not counting it as swinging the lead. The bog looks like a slasher B movie every time I go for a wee. :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Put one of my old CCTV cameras up in the garage...
Attachments
FB_IMG_1707486560548.jpg
FB_IMG_1707486560548.jpg (91.81 KiB) Viewed 174 times
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

That pink bike doesn't do many miles does it?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:53 pm That pink bike doesn't do many miles does it?
Didn't do any last year and the year before it went to the MoT station and back iirc.

Tbf none of them have done more than a couple of hundred miles in the last couple of years.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:58 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:53 pm That pink bike doesn't do many miles does it?
Didn't do any last year and the year before it went to the MoT station and back iirc.

Tbf none of them have done more than a couple of hundred miles in the last couple of years.
So why do you even have them?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:50 pm Put one of my old CCTV cameras up in the garage...
How do you ever get anything in or out ?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Greenman wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:02 pm

Gives him something to view with his CCTV
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:07 pm
Greenman wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:02 pm

Gives him something to view with his CCTV
Maybe he leaves the garage door open in the hope someone will steal them...;)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

weeksy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:02 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:50 pm Put one of my old CCTV cameras up in the garage...
How do you ever get anything in or out ?
There's quite wide walk way down the middle, the camera just doesn't show it.