Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Count Steer »

Slenver wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:00 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:54 pm Is that the Q4? It doesn't look very 'tall'. :hmmm:
It is, and it's fairly tall. But it's the Sportback version that's specifically designed to be a bit less comfortable in the back. The missus preferred the look of them.

It's like a lot of modern cars really that are quite cleverly designed to look modestly proportioned.. until you see them next to something 10 years old! I mean, it's the base model and those are 20" wheels for scale...
Ah, yes. I see a few of the sportsback models around and wondered why people went for them. The rearward visibility looks much diminished. (I blame the RR Evoke for the trend towards rear screens the size of a letterbox).

I suppose the latest Polestar takes the trend to the ultimate conclusion.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Don't Rimac make one too?

Probably waiting for a while longer for that to depreciate Bob :(
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:18 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:54 pm Is that the Q4? It doesn't look very 'tall'. :hmmm:
It is, and it's fairly tall. But it's the Sportback version that's specifically designed to be a bit less comfortable in the back. The missus preferred the look of them.

It's like a lot of modern cars really that are quite cleverly designed to look modestly proportioned.. until you see them next to something 10 years old! I mean, it's the base model and those are 20" wheels for scale...
Ah, yes. I see a few of the sportsback models around and wondered why people went for them. The rearward visibility looks much diminished. (I blame the RR Evoke for the trend towards rear screens the size of a letterbox).

I've not had a proper drive myself yet (Missus' work scheme, still waiting for me to be added to the insurance) but the rear visibility doesn't seem too bad, though it does have a spoiler across the middle of it. Just have pretend it's an XR4i :)

I wouldn't choose one myself – they're a bit more expensive for the same car with restricted rear height/view, but I'm not paying.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Look forward to the drive/ownership review. :thumbup:

(I may have been spotted a couple of times mooching around the e-Trons at the local Audi dealer with my :think: face on).
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:09 am It's all Mr Bean's fault...

https://climatechangedispatch.com/rowan ... -ev-sales/
Really? :D

An article by one actor can negate all the ads and the money the government has spent? Is the argument in favour of EVs so flimsy?
ogri

Post by ogri »

Saga Lout wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:19 am
ZRX61 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:09 am It's all Mr Bean's fault...

https://climatechangedispatch.com/rowan ... -ev-sales/
Really? :D

An article by one actor can negate all the ads and the money the government has spent? Is the argument in favour of EVs so flimsy?
Yup :)
Ignorance is bliss
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

With rear view cameras and proximity sensors, does it matter?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Taipan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:48 am

You have to wonder how millions of van and truck drivers manage.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:12 am

You have to wonder how millions of van and truck drivers manage.

To be fair, there's a fair number of them don't. ;)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Never driven a car with a rear view camera (other than the ones that come on when reversing) and, while I use them and the sensors a bit for parking I'm still an 80% old skool parker. Some van drivers manage without rear view apart from wing mirrors but it's hardly 'better'.

People spend enough time staring at/dabbing at screens inside vehicles, further disconnect with the outside environment can hardly improve driving skills.
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

The always on rear cameras are useful if you are towing, especially if the trailer is narrower than the towing vehicle. It saves having to check on sharp corners and for shadows to confirm the trailer is still there.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:12 am You have to wonder how millions of van and truck drivers manage.
One well-placed mud splat or raindrop, or dirty spray on a wet day, on a camera lens Vs the same on two large mirrors?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:14 am
Pirahna wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:12 am You have to wonder how millions of van and truck drivers manage.
One well-placed mud splat or raindrop, or dirty spray on a wet day, on a camera lens Vs the same on two large mirrors?
I feel much the same about camera wing mirrors (I know, they're more aerodynamic/reduce energy consumption etc).

Driving is becoming more and more like operating a simulator. :(
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:06 am

Never driven a car with a rear view camera (other than the ones that come on when reversing) and, while I use them and the sensors a bit for parking I'm still an 80% old skool parker. Some van drivers manage without rear view apart from wing mirrors but it's hardly 'better'.

People spend enough time staring at/dabbing at screens inside vehicles, further disconnect with the outside environment can hardly improve driving skills.
Depends on the car I suppose, but I have little lights in the mirrors to warn me of encroaching vehicles, all round proximity sensors, big wing mirrors, panoramic rear view mirror, rear view cameras, speed limit sign sensors. I've never been so connected with what's around me! :lol: Just wish i had a dim headlight vehicle approaching sensor... :silent:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:25 am
Driving is becoming more and more like operating a simulator. :(
Having been 'driving' along a motorway and had someone talk to me through the door window, causing me a moment of serios mental WTF?, simulators could almost be better ... :(
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Horse wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:14 am
And there's the rub.
We've 3 cars with reversing camera's, new 2023 Mazda has terrible picture quality and I'd hate to use it as a permanent rear view camera, Mini is OK, Civic, the oldest car is bob on.

But all 3 get covered in mud, water and crap within 2 minutes of driving off, the civic and mini still give a somewhat useable view, but between the mud / water and crap initial picture quality the Mazda is unusable.

I don't suppose it's an unsolvable problem with coatings, positioning, washers etc.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

RTTL'ers in reduced visibility in bad weather revelations shocker! :think: :crazy:

:lol: