self driving vehicle on UK motorways in 2023

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Mr. Dazzle

Re: self driving vehicle on UK motorways in 2023

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Tried, cancelled, unless you're going to brum.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:30 am EDIT: Further thought on this though - driver assistance aids are already focusing on this of course. Already we have cars which brake to mitigate rear end shunts, nudge you back over when you drift out of your lane, keep an eye on your blind-spots and pay attention to make sure you're not falling asleep or taking your hands off the wheel. Those must cover a huge percentage of all crashes.
Bloody hate the auto braking! I was driving through Annecy last winter with passengers in a car. A runner decided there was space between me and the next car for him to cross the road on a pedestrian crossing - his light was on stop, mine was on go!!

Sodding car did an emergency stop :shock: Shocked me for sure, and the customers as we all got thrown forward. Thing is that I'd seen the runner and at the speed we were going he did have plenty of room - the car decided I was about to kill him and nearly gave us all whiplash :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

Because of the roads I drive I am not a fan of the shaky steering wheel when you cross or get too close to a white line - I often straighten the corners when I can see that nothing is coming. But the car I was driving does not approve :roll: :roll: :roll:

I can see that it would be a good idea on a long motorway journey, but for daily driving it's bloody annoying!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

The argument for EVs usually bounces around the absence of human error. Not sure if that indicates EVs will be any safer. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Noggin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:57 pm Bloody hate the auto braking! I was driving through Annecy last winter with passengers in a car. A runner decided there was space between me and the next car for him to cross the road on a pedestrian crossing - his light was on stop, mine was on go!!

Sodding car did an emergency stop :shock: Shocked me for sure, and the customers as we all got thrown forward. Thing is that I'd seen the runner and at the speed we were going he did have plenty of room - the car decided I was about to kill him and nearly gave us all whiplash :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

Because of the roads I drive I am not a fan of the shaky steering wheel when you cross or get too close to a white line - I often straighten the corners when I can see that nothing is coming. But the car I was driving does not approve :roll: :roll: :roll:

I can see that it would be a good idea on a long motorway journey, but for daily driving it's bloody annoying!! :lol:
Pretty much my experience with the hire people carrier in NZ in Feb / Mar, including the phantom e-stop. Mine was for a sudden sharp rise in the road which coincided with a deep shadow... obviously thought it was a wall and hit the brakes at 50-odd mph. Fortunately there was nothing close behind and I hit the accelerator quickly.

The lane assist system also had a habit of trying to steer me back to the centre of lane when I was actually making space for an oncoming vehicle on a narrow two lane road.

The only time the blind spot system worked was when it alerted me to a vehicle that had just entered the car park at speed from the entrance just behind where I couldn't see it because there was a van parked behind me. The alarm went off just as it shot past the door I was starting to open. I reckon I would have got the door open just in time for the Ute driver to take it off.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Post by Horse »

Core regulatory scheme of the Automated Vehicles Bill

Long read. Elements of the Bill are working towards answering some of the questions in this thread (and I don't know how far along development is).

https://blog.burges-salmon.com/post/102 ... icles-bill

The “self-driving test” – provides the criteria in order for this new test to be met. Satisfying the test is crucial, as it is a prerequisite to authorisation for use as an AV. At its core, to pass the test, the vehicle must be able to drive whilst being controlled by equipment rather than an individual. The devil is in the detail however and the industry eagerly awaits details of the self-driving test, likely to be informed in large part by CCAV's CAVPASS programme that has been in development since 2019.

Statement of safety principles – Clause 2 requires the Secretary of State to publish a “statement of safety principles”, which seeks to ensure that road safety is improved as a result of the rollout of AVs. These principles will be relevant when deciding whether to authorise a vehicle for automated use.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/connected-a ... r%20attack.

The objectives of CAVPASS are to:

develop technical standards and regulations to ensure the safe and secure trialling, adoption and ongoing roadworthiness of self-driving vehicles
develop processes to authorise a vehicle, thereby permitting the vehicle to drive itself, and ongoing requirements to maintain the validity of this authorisation
develop and/or adapt rules on the safe use of self-driving vehicles, such as through the Highway Code, driver, vehicle and service licencing, and insurance
ensure the government has the skills, capabilities, and access to assets to deliver safe and secure use of self-driving vehicles
support safe trialling of prototype self-driving vehicles on our roads and ensure the UK is industry’s trialling destination of choice, building on the Code of Practice: automated vehicle trialling
design and implement processes to ensure that self-driving vehicles have resilience and can respond to cyber-attacks, and that the data they hold is secure
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Vehicles? Like cars and lorries? Pah.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:42 pm Vehicles? Like cars and lorries? Pah.

News in 2018 ;)

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/a ... anguage=en
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:26 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:42 pm Vehicles? Like cars and lorries? Pah.
News in 2018 ;)

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/a ... anguage=en
I've never claimed to be ahead of trends....but I have a coffee machine... :lol:

Ahem. Only posted here because caffeine keeps you alert and therefore aids survival. :geek:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

We're clearly not there yet - Elon Musk's Tesla recalls two million cars over Autopilot defect
Tesla is recalling more than two million cars after the US regulator found its driver assistance system, Autopilot, was partly defective.

It follows a two-year investigation into crashes at the firm owned by billionaire Elon Musk, which occurred when Autopilot was in use.

The recall applies to almost every Tesla sold in the US since the Autopilot feature was launched in 2015.

Tesla said it would send a software update "over the air" to fix the issue.

The update happens automatically, and does not require a visit to a dealership or garage, but is still referred to by the regulator as a recall.

Hmmm, software updates "over the air" - when will that be hacked? If it hasn't been already.
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Horse

Post by Horse »

More on the Tesla 'recall'

Tesla and NHTSA have cut a deal in the multi-year Autopilot investigation, leading to a recall outcome. Tesla will strengthen Autopilot driver monitoring to (we hope) mitigate misuse that has been leading to injuries and fatalities. The remedy was released starting December 7th, but the recall notice just came out.

Key quote from Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23V-838 (https://lnkd.in/dRiyFQr9):
"The remedy will incorporate additional controls and alerts to those already existing on affected vehicles to further encourage the driver to adhere to their continuous driving responsibility whenever Autosteer is engaged, which includes keeping their hands on the steering wheel and paying attention to the roadway. Depending on vehicle hardware, the additional controls will include, among others, increasing the prominence of visual alerts on the user interface, simplifying engagement and disengagement of Autosteer, additional checks upon engaging Autosteer and while using the feature outside controlled access highways and when approaching traffic controls, and eventual suspension from Autosteer use if the driver repeatedly fails to demonstrate continuous and sustained driving responsibility while the feature is engaged"

Releasing an OTA update remedy is good to see. Also good is a mention of some sort of geofencing to limit feature activation locations.

Notably missing is retrofitting older vehicles with effective driver monitoring cameras (some don't have cameras at all; many do not have cameras that are effective at night). None of this negates the harm that has been done by the previous, less capable driver monitoring/alert features since the investigation started in August 2021 (and even before that, since the investigation was opened in response to numerous mishaps).

Clearly some of a software update-based recall is going to be a bandaid due to the lack of essential driver monitoring hardware on many of the vehicles. But geofencing is something they should be able to do rigorously that yields a lot of improvement. Hopefully this is a good faith improvement instead of incremental response that their wording suggests and that we've seen in other instances. It remains to be seen where this will fall on the spectrum between recall theater and effective safety improvement. A better sign would be a clear commitment from Tesla to adopt night-capable purpose-built driver monitoring cameras in all new cars (installed where they can see the driver's eyes for gaze tracking), with refits available for older cars that still have substantive life remaining.

Well that, and stopping irresponsible safety-relevant road testing with civilian retail customers instead of trained test drivers. But that's a whole different problem.
The Spin Doctor

Word stateside from someone who's been following with interest is that lawyers for Tesla have argued that the 'Autopilot' name is not inaccurate and misleading because drivers know it's not an autopilot.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:04 pm Word stateside from someone who's been following with interest is that lawyers for Tesla have argued that the 'Autopilot' name is not inaccurate and misleading because drivers know it's not an autopilot.
That's a nice circular argument.

Manufacturers lie a lot, but that is OK because they lie so much that consumers will not believe their lies.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://www-dailymail-co-uk.cdn.ampproj ... pment.html

Tesla hackers discover a secret 'Elon Mode' that allows FULLY automated driving - and say users can access it with £520 equipment
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

A dubious source but it's quite likely that the fully automatic capability is built in to the software but just disabled for current vehicles.
Horse

Post by Horse »

MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Idiots will always idiot.
non quod, sed quomodo
The Spin Doctor

Unfortunately, if they hit anything in the Cybertruck, there will be a lot of collateral damage.
Flux

Post by Flux »