How's the lockdown going for everyone ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Dodgy69

Re: How's the lockdown going for everyone ?

Post by Dodgy69 »

Had a lovely 18 mile pedal around the lanes. Quite a few solo cyclists about but also some families getting out. Nice to see and all very sensible and friendly.

Bbq tomorrow. ☀️☀️☀️
Yamaha rocket 3
Skub

Post by Skub »

Part of the route on my daily walk. I never encounter a soul for over an hour.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I was naughty. I went to the front of the house and painted the front brick bits nice and white.... And tomorrow I will use the jetwash to clean up some of my spills.... and give the car a blast as well. We have been cleaning the house, emptying boxes of stuff we have hoarded and are actually throwing some things out and piling up stuff for the charity shop once they open again. Nice to get decent quality stuff into circulation again.

Daughter is looking to dye her hair, first time for everything. Waist length hair, so should be interesting result!

Enjoying the sunshing and quiet. Gave our neighbours a good bottle of Portuguese red. They need it with all the hassles they have been having with their house build (they are our temporary neigbours, they live down the street. Our real neighbours are up north with family). But we have known them for a while and house sit their cat when they travel on longer trips.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
WheeliePig

Post by WheeliePig »

Was hopeful of a furlough, for those that have been, the company makes up the remainder not given by the government.

The other half has been placed on furlough, the offspring is at home and just as it was looking hopeful for a free holiday

*drum roll*

... a large tender opportunity was released to market and we will be bidding.

So that's my chance of a furlough fucked.

:shifty:
joe19

Post by joe19 »

I think the crap weather isn't helping. After all the storms just want to get out do stuff!

Plus not liking the feeling of being snooped on by neighbours and/or Police for just going about.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

1888 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:00 pm
the_priest wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:26 pm Daughter is looking to dye her hair, first time for everything. Waist length hair, so should be interesting result!
May have opened my drunk gob to much last night. Apparently i agreed to let my wife dye my hair blue tonight :D Im a Celtic supporter and dying my hair blue. Ach well, should be a laugh :lol:
Looking forward to the photos. 🙂
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

joe19 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:12 pm I think the crap weather isn't helping. After all the storms just want to get out do stuff!

Plus not liking the feeling of being snooped on by neighbours and/or Police for just going about.
Did you get the new bike before close down?
joe19

Post by joe19 »

Yeah just - but due to driveway shenanigans it's a bit surrounded in the garage.

When the lock-down is over and I can get out I'll do a post on it. I haven't even started it! :thumbdown:

Kinda don't want to be seen taking the piss going out for a ride. Not sure what others are doing?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

joe19 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:20 pm Yeah just - but due to driveway shenanigans it's a bit surrounded in the garage.

When the lock-down is over and I can get out I'll do a post on it. I haven't even started it! :thumbdown:

Kinda don't want to be seen taking the piss going out for a ride. Not sure what others are doing?
I was desperate to get out earlier, but can't justify going out just to buy bananas. So not ridden mine since this started.

Deffo get thread up matey.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

If you bought a Buell, it could be classed as exercise, pushing the fcuker home. 🙂
Yamaha rocket 3
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

For those that don't know....

I'm in Courchevel, I came here in December to do a winter season. Haven't been able to leave yet as I knackered my shoulder so couldn't drive.

It's been OK, I have an apartment, food, booze, wifi and a phone.

What I haven't had is any face to face human interaction, while loading my van today I had a 5 minute chat with a couple I know who were passing. That is the most I've spoken to anyone in well over 2 weeks ! It was nice, I can cope without it, but it's nice to have.

I contacted the local Marie (like an English mayor, but actually has some authority) and she has said it's fine for me to drive to my parents house on the other side of France. I need to carry some paperwork and I WILL get stopped by the gendarmes, but as I'm travelling home from work it's not problem.

This morning I walked down to where my camper is kept. Got stopped by the Gendarmes on the way, but as my paperwork was in order I was very quickly left to get on with it.

Aswel as more space my parents also have a large workshop I can play in, so that's definatley a plus for me :)

Interestingly (well that's a matter of opinion!!) way back In January, I caught a nasty sore throat from a tinder date (NO YORICK I DIDN'T FUCK HER!) and it (the sore throat) stayed for 3 weeks. This is very unusual for me as, for as long as I can remember, the closest I've had to being ill is a "bit of a blocked nose" for literally a couple or 3 days! Was it C19? doubt it tbh, but who knows really ?
Skub

Post by Skub »

Well,I found a shitty GFS body in my tip of a garage. I reckon I'd bought it over 4 years ago. They are USA made,cheap,light and best of all shoddily manufactured! :lol:

I'll amuse my self by seeing what bits are in my toolbox and if I can cobble something useable together.

I've already had to plug the neck mounting holes as they are not even close.

Maybe attach a recently blagged Fender Baja neck,might look half decent.

We'll see what happens. Time isn't of the essence currently!
Walt Whitman
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Skub wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:48 pm Well,I found a shitty GFS body in my tip of a garage. I reckon I'd bought it over 4 years ago. They are USA made,cheap,light and best of all shoddily manufactured! :lol:

I'll amuse my self by seeing what bits are in my toolbox and if I can cobble something useable together.

I've already had to plug the neck mounting holes as they are not even close.

Maybe attach a recently blagged Fender Baja neck,might look half decent.

We'll see what happens. Time isn't of the essence currently!

A coincidence!

I've been helping a neighbour strip his SX of all the plastic coating it had and later on he wants to remove a lot of wood to lighten it. I have the tools . . .

A couple of days ago I made him two pickguards, one out of a bit of scrap 3 mm plywood and then this one from 3 mm walnut. I've put a couple of coats of boiled linseed oil on both of them and we're debating as to whether I should varnish this one or just wax it.

I have to work out how I'm going to drill a lot of holes!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Nice work Yambo.

What's the body,is it alder or basswood?

I like wooden pickguards,I made one recently from walnut burl.

Another alternative for finish is gunstock oil (TRu-Oil) It goes on with a rag and dries hard like a varnish. Quite work intensive though,takes a while to build up the coats,then a couple of weeks to cure. I like it because I don't have a compressor for spraying. I used it on the baritone above.
Walt Whitman
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Tricky wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 pm It's the calm before the (potential) storm for me.
My girlfriend went down with it on Sunday just gone and has been suffering quite badly since then, although I don't think she's in any danger, just really uncomfortable and not having a very good time at all - I was with her all day Saturday up until Sunday morning and we did hold hands etc once or twice during that time, so am assuming I can't have escaped having it passed to me.

I've been in self-isolation since Sunday (we have separate houses), am still working pretty much as normal from home, but the not going out at all is getting to me a bit already as its been so nice outside, I miss running or getting out on a bike badly, and it's all just a bit weird TBH;- I am finding it hard to believe I am going to get it as I feel absolutely fine at the moment, but from what I can gather average incubation time is approx 5 days which would make it tomorrow night / friday for me, so I guess I'll find out soon enough :|
I hope you and the other half get through this ok
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:03 pm If you bought a Buell, it could be classed as exercise, pushing the fcuker home. 🙂
Dont forget bending up and down to pick up all the bits that have shaken themselves off ;)
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:23 am
Dodgy knees wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:03 pm If you bought a Buell, it could be classed as exercise, pushing the fcuker home. 🙂
Dont forget bending up and down to pick up all the bits that have shaken themselves off ;)
Funny you mention this. I lived up a hill just outside Zurich. My Buell would never start after it had been left a few weeks. The best was to get it going was to bump it going down the hill. Well not this time - would it catch, not a chance.
So i had to push all 220kg of it back up hill ... on my own.
And obviously, once i got it back and thumbed the starter, it started first time....
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Skub wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:48 pm Nice work Yambo.

What's the body,is it alder or basswood?

I like wooden pickguards,I made one recently from walnut burl.

Another alternative for finish is gunstock oil (TRu-Oil) It goes on with a rag and dries hard like a varnish. Quite work intensive though,takes a while to build up the coats,then a couple of weeks to cure. I like it because I don't have a compressor for spraying. I used it on the baritone above.

Ha, it took me about 2 years to find boiled linseed oil although I got basic linseed oil fairly quickly. Gunstock oil? I doubt that very much! I think the body is alder as it's too hard to be basswood (basswood is actually lime, I use it a lot in model making), it's a nice bit of wood though. I didn't have any walnut burl which is a pity as that looks very nice. I had just a couple of sheets of 3 mm thick walnut and some 3 mm pear. The pear is nice for model making as it has a very fine grain (you can't scale the grain in the wood) but something like a pickguard needs a bit of grain I think. It'll do, he's not paying me! :D
erizo

Post by erizo »

20-something days, and i’m hanging on in there........
9F01DE9D-08C7-4C52-8B5D-8612CCD96590.jpeg
9F01DE9D-08C7-4C52-8B5D-8612CCD96590.jpeg (247.58 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
did i just type that?....aw crap!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

That looks very much open to interpretation :)