Zzr1100d

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
ZRX61

Re: Zzr1100d

Post by ZRX61 »

Mine got a bit temperamental until I discovered the + wire was a tad loose on the battery.
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

It was a wire for the brake light switch, it was trapped in the fairing stay bolt, it must have been ok till I hit the pothole
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

All ok on the way home last night, it feels more perky and lighter with the exhaust, I think the old one had so many holes that it just wasn't functioning like it should.

The led headlight is much better
As far as I can work out these are the LEDs, they stick out quite a bit so I could only fit them when I had the fairing off.
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/osram-le ... PmEALw_wcB
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

Led upgrade

Low beam

High beam
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

Low beam unlit road
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

High beam unlit road
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

Much better than standard, no flare
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/osram-le ... YuEALw_wcB
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

Radial calipers conversion.....Mmmm
More info to follow as I've only just fitted and bled them
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

Not ridden yet only fitted and bled this morning, currently I'm ironing as I'm so very rock and roll.

It was originally built for a zzr11c model not the D that I have, I've had to fettle it a bit , usual stuff, hacksaw, Dremel, carbon burr and a file.

The bit that was the problem is the bit in-between the two mounting bolts,

I've removed some of the fork bracket and a bit off of the socket for the big bolt that makes it radial.

You may have noticed the exquisite hand made washers masquerading as a spacer, the radial bolt it TI so I'm going to get a shorter one

So far after bleeding the brakes don't drag, nice lever feel and they go on and release well.
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

Short test ride today,it had the pars that the calipers came with.

They bite and release well.

As for power and modulation,I need to bed the pads in , after about 3 miles of lightly using them whilst not actually braking they felt better.

I stopped a couple of times and had sprayed the calipers with break cleaner before I left so I could make sure there were no leaks
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

Bigger test today, out at 0330 ,clear but damp roads, pads still bedding in.

A few harder stops and dragging the brakes whilst moving.

Up to 70ish and all ok, got to work and both discs were a bit warm but not hot so no sign of dragging or a sized caliper.

As it was dark I couldn't see if the whole disc had been cleaned by the pads.

So far it's worth the upgrade, the feel at the lever is much better, just need to make sure the power is
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

Today I fitted a different radial master cylinder, it seems I had a zx10r one before which is 15mm

I've fitted a cbr1000rr one instead, this one is 17.5mm.

Only done 20 miles and some of that was getting the rust off of the discs....

Feels much better, it not correctly fitted yet as I've rotated the switchgear because the Banjo bolt is right where the throttle cables were, now the Banjo bolt is pushing on the wires from the switch gear.

I've recently found out that k5(?) onwards gsxr's have a 19mm radial master cylinder, so I may try one of these shortly.

The next thing is a fork rebuild as the seals keep failing after not very long, I'm getting the local Motorcross bloke to do it , it will be bushes and seals.

I've looked at heavier fork springs but it may have Hagon ones in, as it has a hagon shock
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

managed to get a ride on it today ..

Recently I've got someone else to do the fork,as they would leak after a few months when I did them

Put the original suspension dog bones back on, I put zzr600 ones on as they are longer and give a lower seat height, I also set the rear chain adjuster eccentrics to the upper position as it's a big old bird and I like more than one toe on the floor.

And I did a q/a throttle mod with a cable tie.

I did about 25 miles, the excuse was we had run out of chicken and bacon.

The seat height, I can now only touch down with one foot but all toes, when I first had it it was one toe and that was a stretch, it feels better riding now, a bit more weight on the front end, the forks have 10w in them now as the 15w made it.really harsh.

The throttle feels much better, it's still a lot of throttle movement but It feels more responsive.

The next thing is to repair the fairing lowers, they have cracked and are generally in bad repair, I bought a plastic welder staple thing, mainly because the front mudguard was cracking and even though it's a gpz1100e one as the oe's are not available in good condition at a sensible price
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

MOT passed

I've also fitted a 19mm radial master cylinder (instead of the 17.5 not as well as)

I've only ridden a few miles but it seems better, I was expecting more squash at the lever and a bit of a spongy feeling, I need to bed the new pads in and then we shall see.
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

Ignore above.....the master cylinder (two of them,17.48 and 19mm) have both done odd things, like one disc getting really hot and the brakes locking on....

So today I rebuilt the 19mm one and rebled the system till it was nice, then a few miles later I had to open a bleed screw and let some pressure out as the brakes locked
I've recently put brand new pads in so it could be those, I'm going to fish the old ones out of the bin and refit them..
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It could be the brakes dragging.

Make sure the M/C isn't applying any pressure.

I had it on the rear brake on an K1200S, the previous owner had dropped it in the garage and it it bent the lever so it dragged a teeny bit all the time. After about 20 miles it got so hot it locked on.

The same could happen with the front if you're using aftermarket levers, or the pistons aren't retracting into the callipers because of corrosion, etc..
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

As per KFB, a mate fitted some cheap Chinese levers, turns out they were very slightly dragging which turned into a locked front as he accelerated onto a slip road and had him off.
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:38 am As per KFB, a mate fitted some cheap Chinese levers, turns out they were very slightly dragging which turned into a locked front as he accelerated onto a slip road and had him off.
I've got one levers, just swapped back to the old pads and going round the block, 8mm in my pocket