Riding bucket list... What do you have ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Riding bucket list... What do you have ?

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

lostboy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:07 pm Understand all of that - but you asked and that's what I want to do. I don't care if it's a year or a day - I want to do it.
I'd love to ride a YZR500, just to see what they're like, Snetterton would be a good place to do it, preferably with no one anywhere near me, so I can potter round the corners.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:33 pm
lostboy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:07 pm Understand all of that - but you asked and that's what I want to do. I don't care if it's a year or a day - I want to do it.
I'd love to ride a YZR500, just to see what they're like, Snetterton would be a good place to do it, preferably with no one anywhere near me, so I can potter round the corners.
Snetterton would be bad with many low gear corners. Silverstone better as more higher gear corners.
The power delivery is scary. The RG500 screen hit my visor a few times ;)
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

Another one for touring here.

I've done a few trips to the nearest Eurozones and loved it - just a bike, tent, change of pants. One or more mates. Its ace.
But there is always a time constraint and we have to get back to the ferry. I'd love to have more time to do it and get further than just France and Germany.
Loved the Scotchland one we did too. It would be nice to have the freedom to just drop everything and go back when it looks like a week or so of good weather is coming...
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Ride a bagger on the PCH! 8-)
Claude

Post by Claude »

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:17 pm
Harry wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:54 am A bit like Julian, I've done what I wanted to.

If I had a day spare and a Star Trek transporter then I'd zip off to Yoricks house and do a bit of trail riding with him and his pals, then back for a few poolside beers. That sounds about perfect.
There's some cheap flights around now :)
I had a look as it was one of the few places open for half term. All inclusive for the 4 of us, £2k. Pretty much half price!
Claude

Post by Claude »

weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:25 pm
Claude wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:24 pm I'd love to do some kind of like Matt did to Mongolia. I love the idea of riding, camping wherever etc

More realistically some kind if UK version would be cool head up to Scotland for some wild camping etc.

Which reminds me, I must sort out getting my tent back @weeksy after OCD borrowed it a few years ago :)
Still got it :)
You got a box big enough if I arranged a courier?

I’m not even sure what I lent him now it’s been that long!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Claude wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:27 pm
Claude wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:24 pm I'd love to do some kind of like Matt did to Mongolia. I love the idea of riding, camping wherever etc

More realistically some kind if UK version would be cool head up to Scotland for some wild camping etc.

Which reminds me, I must sort out getting my tent back @weeksy after OCD borrowed it a few years ago :)

It's still in a box. There's a yellow thing and a blue thing, it's massive.
Claude

Post by Claude »

weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 pm
Claude wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:27 pm

It's still in a box. There's a yellow thing and a blue thing, it's massive.
WhatsApp me the details and I’ll sort pickup please 👍🏻
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:04 pm Ride a bagger on the PCH! 8-)
Filthy brute. :silent:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:19 pm
Taipan wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:04 pm Ride a bagger on the PCH! 8-)
Filthy brute. :silent:
Is that a chat up line?
Potter

Post by Potter »

Tricky wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:27 pm
Aside from that, it's simply to be able to continue to enjoy riding bikes and to be able to combine my love of travel with bikes.
I consider myself extremely fortunate to have good health, half-reasonable fitness, and a selection of bikes that allows me to enjoy road riding, track days, off-roading, touring, and racing but most of all, it's having some truly great friends to enjoy bikey things with that makes it for me.

I absolutely love all of the various aspects of bikes, but if I had to pick just one type of riding at the expense of all others, it would the touring;- bikes allow you to get to some places and see and do some things that you simply can't with any other form of transport and there's nothing like setting off somewhere with a one or two close and like-minded friends and seeing what happens along the way, as loads and loads of stuff always does :)
As I got older I found that I prefer riding alone.
I have some great memories of riding with my mates that I grew up with, but we're all scattered now, some are dead, some don't ride bikes anymore and the ones of us left on two wheels are separated by big distances, so it (very) rarely happens.

I have 'bike' friends that I've known and ridden with for well over a decade, but if I'm honest I just prefer to ride on my own. Sometimes I like to stop and just have half an hour lying on warm grass, or somewhere scenic and if you're with other people you have to compromise and stop when the group wants to.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Harry wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:14 am
As I got older I found that I prefer riding alone.
I have some great memories of riding with my mates that I grew up with, but we're all scattered now, some are dead, some don't ride bikes anymore and the ones of us left on two wheels are separated by big distances, so it (very) rarely happens.

I have 'bike' friends that I've known and ridden with for well over a decade, but if I'm honest I just prefer to ride on my own. Sometimes I like to stop and just have half an hour lying on warm grass, or somewhere scenic and if you're with other people you have to compromise and stop when the group wants to.
Yep, I'm with you on that - I've never been into going out in a group and have always really been a lone sort of rider on the roads, and leaving the tours out of it, I'd say 95% or more of my road riding is just me and my bike

The tours, off-roading and Trackdays are different though and its the adventures and shared experiences with proper close friends that make those so good.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tricky wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:12 am

The tours, off-roading and Trackdays are different though and its the adventures and shared experiences with proper close friends that make those so good.
Indeedy, our trip to Wales still makes me laugh when i think about it, some of the laughs, jokes, banter, even the goat tracks you made OCD ride on his spangly GSXR-1000, cracking fun.
G.P

Post by G.P »

I've been pretty lucky with my Riding over the years: Touring Scotland on bikes with my Dad as a teenager, going to the TT a couple of times and surviving Mad Sunday. Touring the North Island of New Zealand, doing a few laps of France with good mates.

I wish I'd discovered trackdays before I was 50, but really enjoy them despite being old and slow :D and will tick a bucket list next year doing a Euro trackday at Portimao and also doinga tour to the Pyrenees.

I fancy a coast to coast USA trip but suspect the thought of it is probably better than the experience might be, maybe up / down the west coast would be good.
I'd also like to get away on bikes with my lads, that's probably a few years away yet though.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

G.P wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:48 am I'd also like to get away on bikes with my lads, that's probably a few years away yet though.
That'll be awesome.

One of mine was me and the boy in Morzine, that was just exceptional. I can't put into words how good it is riding with my lad, even when at times it's frustrating due to him not being as fast uphill, it's still awesome. Him going down a trail and my trying my nuts out to keep with him, watching him launch the bike into the sky, well, it's just awesome. The great part also is that both me and him are great mates, as well as father and son, it's really tough to beat.

In some ways, Portimao being my 50th is a bit of a swansong to the TD stuff for me, it's a massive get-together that i don't think we'll see ever again. I'm seeing the following years being Morzine, Finale Ligure, etc rather than track stuff.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

weeksy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:57 am
G.P wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:48 am I'd also like to get away on bikes with my lads, that's probably a few years away yet though.
That'll be awesome.

One of mine was me and the boy in Morzine, that was just exceptional. I can't put into words how good it is riding with my lad, even when at times it's frustrating due to him not being as fast uphill, it's still awesome. Him going down a trail and my trying my nuts out to keep with him, watching him launch the bike into the sky, well, it's just awesome. The great part also is that both me and him are great mates, as well as father and son, it's really tough to beat.

In some ways, Portimao being my 50th is a bit of a swansong to the TD stuff for me, it's a massive get-together that i don't think we'll see ever again. I'm seeing the following years being Morzine, Finale Ligure, etc rather than track stuff.
Keep enjoying it, it's the foundation for a very long term relationship at a different level. I coached both of mine in their youth football careers and then as I got more qualified and they grew older then coached some of their adult teams and made great friends. I also play 5-a-side every week with them - even though they are now 29 and 27 and don't live at home. The rest of the crowd is half old-farts like me and half of my oldest son's youth team (so I coached all of them!) who are still loving it all at 29/30!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:38 pm
Snetterton would be bad with many low gear corners. Silverstone better as more higher gear corners.
Bit off topic....but how did you end up getting a go on one? It's something on a lot of lists so I'm curious as to how one manages it, short of being mega rich :D

I assume it was through your instructor work?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Bit off topic....but how did you end up getting a go on one? It's something on a lot of lists so I'm curious as to how one manages it, short of being mega rich :D

He never said the other guy let him, that's why he only got 2 laps :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Me and Dave Crampton started racing together. Sharing a car/trailer for first 2 years.
He was good and went right to the top. Eventually riding for Padgetts on RG500 and GSXR750.
He did a test day at Cadwell and I went along to pit for him. He let me have a go on both :)
formula400

Post by formula400 »

I’d like to have a go on a current litre bike. See what all the fuss is about.
CBR650r :mrgreen: