Riding bucket list... What do you have ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Riding bucket list... What do you have ?

Post by weeksy »

So then, what's on the realistic bucket list.... Not stuff you think "If i win the lottery that'd be great"

But what's realistic for you.

For me the main one is https://www.motogiroitalia.it/en/

For me it would be in the Heritage category. All Motorcycles, Scooters, Sidecar, etc. Manufactured from 1914, the year of the first edition of Motogiro d'Italia, up 1949 of all types, brands and swept volume

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/motogiro-intro.html

The rest of the 'bucket list' type items i'm not sure really interest me that much. Although it would be nice to ride the TT course, i've only been there once and that was walking onto the ferry as i lived in Liverpool at the time and have family on the island.

In some ways, World Ducati Week would be right up there, but only assuming it actually lived up to what i think it'd be and i'd need a Ducati for it of course. But it's far from impossible as far as ideas go
cheb

Re: Riding bucket list... What do you have ?

Post by cheb »

Riding a bike would be a start.

In the short term, off island on the early ferry, ride somewhere and back and catch the late ferry home.

Sounds simple, but rarely does everything fall into place, at least it hasn't yet. First, fix the motorcycle.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

After buying an Enfield Bullet 500 after a visit to Goa and getting smitten, I'd love do something like this..

https://indianmotorcycletours.com/himal ... res-india/
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

TBH apart from things like "ride a 500 2 stroke GP bike" I think I've done most of what I want to do
I've tried motorcycle touring and it isn't for me, I'd rather go long distances in a car
I enjoy riding old motorcycles around race tracks - I'd like to ride a bike at the Classic TT, but I don't think anyone's going to let me as my racing history is negligible and I'd be dog slow
I really am quite happy with my motorcycling, which consists of going out for a couple of hours on the road on my 30 year old FZ750, or trackdays at Snetterton and Cadwell on my 29 year old FZR400, I've also got a couple of 37 year old bikes to fiddle with, I'm content.
Honda Owner
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

I'd like to do a bit more bike touring (more of Europe), but I'm NOT a happy camper so it would be nicer B&Bs, so more pricey than I can currently justify really for a good month or so of riding.

I'd like to do some riding in the US - I WAS all set to get a day's borrow of a Rockster (no less ;) ) during my 2 weeks visit planned in May, but obviously that didn't happen. Hoping to re-plan that trip at some point in the future.

Hoping to get myself a useable classic at some point in the future (not from my Dad's collection) - but that will need proper garage facilities so still pending.

That MotoGiro looks fabulous. :D
non quod, sed quomodo
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

On further investigation I've found out that all I need to do a Parade lap at the Classic TT is a DVLA motorcycle license, a suitable motorcycle and deep pockets, this could be a go, YPVS parade lap.
Honda Owner
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Long distance Euro tour (at my own pace).
I'd like to take the older Honda .
Own a big BMW tourer perhaps
Potter

Post by Potter »

A bit like Julian, I've done what I wanted to.

If I had a day spare and a Star Trek transporter then I'd zip off to Yoricks house and do a bit of trail riding with him and his pals, then back for a few poolside beers. That sounds about perfect.
Claude

Post by Claude »

I'd love to do some kind of like Matt did to Mongolia. I love the idea of riding, camping wherever etc

More realistically some kind if UK version would be cool head up to Scotland for some wild camping etc.

Which reminds me, I must sort out getting my tent back @weeksy after OCD borrowed it a few years ago :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Claude wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:24 pm I'd love to do some kind of like Matt did to Mongolia. I love the idea of riding, camping wherever etc

More realistically some kind if UK version would be cool head up to Scotland for some wild camping etc.

Which reminds me, I must sort out getting my tent back @weeksy after OCD borrowed it a few years ago :)
Still got it :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Harry wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:54 am A bit like Julian, I've done what I wanted to.

If I had a day spare and a Star Trek transporter then I'd zip off to Yoricks house and do a bit of trail riding with him and his pals, then back for a few poolside beers. That sounds about perfect.
There's some cheap flights around now :)
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'd like to go on a European trackday with some like minded souls, plenty of beer, plenty of sun and no tent. 🏍 + 🍻 + 🌝 = 🙂👍
Yamaha rocket 3
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Another that wants a trackday, but mine's a bit different. I'd like a Moto3 bike, a Moto2 bike and a MotoGP bike, with their support teams and I'd like to work my through them during the day. I'd like the riders on hand to provide the advice and the tyre techs from Dunlop and Michelin to do the same and I'd like to experience those bikes for as many laps as I could*. The obvious choice at the moment is the Petronas team because they're strong in all the classes and the Yamaha is supposed to be the "easiest" MotoGP bike to ride.

*bizarrely the one I'm most interested in is the Moto2 because the teams always dismissed it as "a street bike" but any of the riders that came into that class from WSS or SBK said it was ridiculously different to production bikes.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

lostboy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:34 pm Another that wants a trackday, but mine's a bit different. I'd like a Moto3 bike, a Moto2 bike and a MotoGP bike, with their support teams and I'd like to work my through them during the day. I'd like the riders on hand to provide the advice and the tyre techs from Dunlop and Michelin to do the same and I'd like to experience those bikes for as many laps as I could*. The obvious choice at the moment is the Petronas team because they're strong in all the classes and the Yamaha is supposed to be the "easiest" MotoGP bike to ride.

*bizarrely the one I'm most interested in is the Moto2 because the teams always dismissed it as "a street bike" but any of the riders that came into that class from WSS or SBK said it was ridiculously different to production bikes.
Without being rude, a MotoGP is out of reach of us mortals.
They need to be ridden at least 95% or it doesn't work.
WSB bikes are more forgiving.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:38 pm
lostboy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:34 pm Another that wants a trackday, but mine's a bit different. I'd like a Moto3 bike, a Moto2 bike and a MotoGP bike, with their support teams and I'd like to work my through them during the day. I'd like the riders on hand to provide the advice and the tyre techs from Dunlop and Michelin to do the same and I'd like to experience those bikes for as many laps as I could*. The obvious choice at the moment is the Petronas team because they're strong in all the classes and the Yamaha is supposed to be the "easiest" MotoGP bike to ride.

I don't think any of us would actually enjoy a MotoGP bike in any way. The power, delivery, brakes, handling, tyres, it'd be bloody horrific to ride.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:42 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:38 pm

I don't think any of us would actually enjoy a MotoGP bike in any way. The power, delivery, brakes, handling, tyres, it'd be bloody horrific to ride.
I did 2 laps on ex Schwanz RG500. Pulled in and gave it back. Then jumped back on the pukka BSB bike. Much more rideable.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Understand all of that - but you asked and that's what I want to do. I don't care if it's a year or a day - I want to do it.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Most of my bike bucket list is done, and good job too, I am getting old.

Done
[x] Touring Scotland
[x] Touring in Europe
[x] Touring in the Alps
[x] Touring Norway/Sweden
[x] Owning a sports-tourer

Still to do
[ ] Touring in the USA
[ ] Touring on a Goldwing

Almost committed to the USA trip for 2020, good job I didn't. I think that may need to wait for 2022. If I save my pennies I might get to combine it with the Goldwing.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

MotoGIro (Heritage class for me too 8-) ) is the only single thing that's definitely on there, and as soon as the world gets back to whatever the new normal is, I'll be planning it.

Aside from that, it's simply to be able to continue to enjoy riding bikes and to be able to combine my love of travel with bikes.
I consider myself extremely fortunate to have good health, half-reasonable fitness, and a selection of bikes that allows me to enjoy road riding, track days, off-roading, touring, and racing but most of all, it's having some truly great friends to enjoy bikey things with that makes it for me.

I absolutely love all of the various aspects of bikes, but if I had to pick just one type of riding at the expense of all others, it would the touring;- bikes allow you to get to some places and see and do some things that you simply can't with any other form of transport and there's nothing like setting off somewhere with a one or two close and like-minded friends and seeing what happens along the way, as loads and loads of stuff always does :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

lostboy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:07 pm Understand all of that - but you asked and that's what I want to do. I don't care if it's a year or a day - I want to do it.
Could maybe ask them to let you loose an a quiet airfield ;)