Help with importing my bike

Anything you like about motorbikes
iamgigglz

Help with importing my bike

Post by iamgigglz »

I hope someone here can help me get back on two wheels :(

I've recently moved from South Africa to the UK. I couldn't face selling my 990 Adventure so I brought it with me, but three months later she's still sitting on the battery charger with a ZA plate.

I have:
  • Original South African registration document
  • The NOVA/TOR clearance document from HMRC
  • A "Letter of Authenticity" from KTM UK (which cost me £180...)
  • A UK passport and proof of residence/address

As far as I can tell I need to now submit a V55/5 form, after which I can do the MOT and get a plate made, but I'm not certain of the order of those steps.
The V55/5 form asks for a "Type approval number/category", which comes from the "Certificate of Conformity". Either that or I can provide an "Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA) certificate".

I don't know where to get either of those things, or whether I actually need them. Please can someone help me through this red tape?
Mr Moofo

Re: Help with importing my bike

Post by Mr Moofo »

When I did it ( some 12 years ago) it was a fairly simple process.

Does this help with the MSVA?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... val-msva-1

Certification of Conformity usually has most of the data.
DVLA will be where you should get most information
iamgigglz

Post by iamgigglz »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:05 pm When I did it ( some 12 years ago) it was a fairly simple process.

Does this help with the MSVA?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... val-msva-1

Certification of Conformity usually has most of the data.
DVLA will be where you should get most information
Thanks. I starting to think I must just go for it with the V55/5 form and simply fill in what I can. Worst case scenario I lose £55
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

As I understand it you get the CoC from the manufacturer/the dealer that supplied the bike. (I thought you got one in the documentation when you buy a new vehicle). I think I remember a few people on here going through the process of getting one - possibly to do with riding in (Ultra) Low Emission Zones. I'll have a root around...
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Something in here may help or search the forum for ULEZ. People have needed them to confirm the emissions are OK.

https://revtothelimit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8136
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:32 pm As I understand it you get the CoC from the manufacturer/the dealer that supplied the bike. (I thought you got one in the documentation when you buy a new vehicle). I think I remember a few people on here going through the process of getting one - possibly to do with riding in (Ultra) Low Emission Zones. I'll have a root around...
I had issues with my VFR and managed to convince TfL the it was ULEZ compliant. I got a certificate of some sort from Honda that certified it complied with the emissions standards. Not sure if that was a CoC, but I just asked Honda and they sent it for free. Talk to KTM.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Definitely talk to KTM (hopefully they are more helpful than Ducati France!!!) for the Certificate of Conformity :)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:00 pm Definitely talk to KTM (hopefully they are more helpful than Ducati France!!!) for the Certificate of Conformity :)
KTM UK have already stung him for £180 for the 'Authenticity' thing, so it sounds like they're helpful...at a price!
Voltaire
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

When i registered my classic scooter i rang the DVLA at Swansea for some advice. To my surprise they
answered the phone quickly and were very helpful. My Scooter being of a certain age meant i did not
have to fill in 90% of the form so was very simple.
iamgigglz

Post by iamgigglz »

Appreciate the advice. When doing off-road training on the 990 I was advised to "stand up, look up, open up" when in trouble. I'm going apply the same ethos here and just send the form in with whatever I can filled in and see what happens.

Question: The road tax is £61 and the admin fee is £55. Do I just send in the full £116 postal order payment up front?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:18 pm
Noggin wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:00 pm Definitely talk to KTM (hopefully they are more helpful than Ducati France!!!) for the Certificate of Conformity :)
KTM UK have already stung him for £180 for the 'Authenticity' thing, so it sounds like they're helpful...at a price!
well at least it wasn't "you have to buy a brand new head lamp and clocks from us at 1200€" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

iamgigglz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:18 pm Appreciate the advice. When doing off-road training on the 990 I was advised to "stand up, look up, open up" when in trouble. I'm going apply the same ethos here and just send the form in with whatever I can filled in and see what happens.

Question: The road tax is £61 and the admin fee is £55. Do I just send in the full £116 postal order payment up front?
Whoah....who are you sending the money to? Why would they charge you for road tax if it's not ok'd to use it etc etc etc. The admin charge looks iffy too. I may be hypersensitive but.... :hmmm:
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:10 pm
iamgigglz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:18 pm Appreciate the advice. When doing off-road training on the 990 I was advised to "stand up, look up, open up" when in trouble. I'm going apply the same ethos here and just send the form in with whatever I can filled in and see what happens.

Whoah....who are you sending the money to? Why would they charge you for road tax if it's not ok'd to use it etc etc etc. The admin charge looks iffy too. I may be hypersensitive but.... :hmmm:
Further

There are scammer websites, designed to look official. They add admin fees on for providing you with a service that's actually free from the official site.

Check carefully.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
David

Post by David »

As long as you are dealing with dvla on their own website you should be ok. But a google search will bring up dites that will do it, but charge extra.
David

Post by David »

What he said!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Send me £2.5k in bitcoin and I'll sort it all out for you.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:29 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:10 pm

Further

There are scammer websites, designed to look official. They add admin fees on for providing you with a service that's actually free from the official site.

Check carefully.
Yeah, that's the gist of my post really. When I started to look around there were clearly lots of iffy outfits appeared offering to take all the hassle away.
Voltaire
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

You don’t have to pay any “admin” fee. As soon as is say that , leave the site