Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yambo

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Yambo »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:28 am
I got it from here...

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... _night.jpg

It explains that it's a composite. (I just googled something like 'USA at night satellite').

There's so much light pollution nowadays in a lot of the world that for astronomers this sort of map is essential:

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/

There are a couple of others https://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html, https://www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk/dar ... s/map.html but they all do the same thing of giving you the Bortle Scale measure of your local sky. There's no substitute for a really dark sky for astronomy.
Potter

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Potter »

Yambo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:40 am
There's so much light pollution nowadays in a lot of the world that for astronomers this sort of map is essential:
During an op once I found myself out in the desert in the middle of nowhere, miles (probably 50+) from any settlement and basically just hanging around, I was laying flat on my back looking up at the stars and I was genuinely in awe, I've never seen stars like that without light pollution, it was incredible.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:32 am
Count Steer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:28 am
Potter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:21 am

I can sit for hours looking at those photos, and then overlaying an actual map over it.

I have no idea how they are produced though, are they literally satellite images, or are they representative, or something else?
I got it from here...

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... _night.jpg

It explains that it's a composite. (I just googled something like 'USA at night satellite').
The one in the link is slightly different than the one you posted though.
I noticed because I was looking at the Bahamas islands and you can't see them in the one in the link, but you can in the one you posted.

I wanted to zoom in because it doesn't seem to be accurate.
Ah. Soz. I know it was a wikimedia image and if you Google 'u.s. at night from space wikimedia' and look at 'images' there are several.

I think I just picked a non-licenseable one.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

Saw this posted on FB...

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They turned down the graphics resolution to make it go faster.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Potter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:28 am During an op once I found myself out in the desert in the middle of nowhere, miles (probably 50+) from any settlement and basically just hanging around, I was laying flat on my back looking up at the stars and I was genuinely in awe, I've never seen stars like that without light pollution, it was incredible.
That's the kinda view we get out here in the Mojave Desert.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Potter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:28 am
Yambo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:40 am
During an op once I found myself out in the desert in the middle of nowhere, miles (probably 50+) from any settlement and basically just hanging around, I was laying flat on my back looking up at the stars and I was genuinely in awe, I've never seen stars like that without light pollution, it was incredible.
It's the other reason I want to get to be able to walk up hte mountain on skis. Firstly to do that for New Year's Eve (as long as the skies are clear!!) but secondly so I can do it to go and see the stars. Almost certainly not going to be as dark as where you were, but should be pretty good! Just need a very good head torch for the ski back down :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:09 pm
Potter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:28 am During an op once I found myself out in the desert in the middle of nowhere, miles (probably 50+) from any settlement and basically just hanging around, I was laying flat on my back looking up at the stars and I was genuinely in awe, I've never seen stars like that without light pollution, it was incredible.
That's the kinda view we get out here in the Mojave Desert.
Once you've seen the sky at night in an area that has no light pollution (and pref none of the other sort) the sky anywhere else is a bit disappointing. Most people in the UK will never see it but when you do.... :shock: :shock: :shock: It requires a bit of a mental reset.
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yeah it was nuts, indescribable really.
Horse

Post by Horse »

We were in S Wales when Halle Bop was visible. Walked down the lane away from the farmhouse. Superb view.

Then, after a few minutes turning around and getting disorientated, it was so dark we struggled to get back :D

Other places with excellent skies were in S Devon, a few miles in from the coast, and in the Dordogne.

Only 'desert' experience was Dubai. They use a lot of electricity there ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:18 pm Yeah it was nuts, indescribable really.
You can always take the (iirc) Peter Cook approach. 'I stared up in this indescribable firmament and realised.......how insignificant it was'. (I paraphrase).

I remember someone writing about standing in the Surrey Hills at night and all they got was the glow from Dorking, Horsham, Reigate etc and the usual bright stars. The thing that gets me when you see it without all the crap is, there's no focus it's all just depth!
Voltaire
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Back in July I took part in an astronomy outreach event here in Turkey.

It happened at around 7,000 ft altitude on Sandras Mountain, about a 3 hour drive for me. Skies there are Bortle 2 compared to the local Bortle 4/4.5 and the seeing was phenomenal. Better than the Okavanga Delta in Botswana last year which was really dark but not as good as at Gorak Shep.

I think the best, darkest skies I've been under was on the East coast of Oman but that was about 53 years ago and I had no telescope with me just a pair of army issue binoculars. I want to go to Namibia in the next couple of years and I'd like to take my scope/camera equipment for the dark skies but not sure how I'd be powering it all. Maybe the safari vehicles will be EVs. :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

I couldn't believe how many stars there were and how there wasn't a single patch of sky not occupied by a star.
It was one of those genuine amazing experiences that will stay with me forever.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:01 pm I couldn't believe how many stars there were and how there wasn't a single patch of sky not occupied by a star
Ooooh....Olbers' paradox. Now there's some deep questions.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

And many people think we're the only life form! :wtf: :roll:
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Potter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:32 am I wanted to zoom in because it doesn't seem to be accurate.
Try this one, might be what you're after:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... rge%29.jpg
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:20 pm And many people think we're the only life form! :wtf: :roll:
Yeah, most of us know we aren't but we keep quiet about it or all the aliens will want to come here.
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:09 pm
Potter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:01 pm I couldn't believe how many stars there were and how there wasn't a single patch of sky not occupied by a star
Ooooh....Olbers' paradox. Now there's some deep questions.
Fair play...I had to look it up. :D
Voltaire
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Back to leccy cars, Tesla are having trouble with the Swedish trade unions which has resulted in postal workers not delivering to Tesla, the Danes are joining in with dock workers refusing to have anything to do with them. The postal workers action has just been upheld by a Swedish court.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sw ... 023-12-07/

This explains the situation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/07/busi ... union.html
cheb

Post by cheb »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:35 pm Back to leccy cars, Tesla are having trouble with the Swedish trade unions which has resulted in postal workers not delivering to Tesla, the Danes are joining in with dock workers refusing to have anything to do with them. The postal workers action has just been upheld by a Swedish court.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sw ... 023-12-07/

This explains the situation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/07/busi ... union.html
The second link is behind a spamwall. For me anyway.