COVID-19 and 'god'

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
WheeliePig

COVID-19 and 'god'

Post by WheeliePig »

They are now wheeling out archbishops and various other "holy" types onto the never ending "news" about COVID-19, as yet not one person has asked any of them:

"Why did 'god' make this disease"
"Why 'god' made it pick on people who had already felt the wrath of 'gods' kindness - i.e. already been given underlying health issues"
"Why 'god' then gave the virus to those trying to help the sick"
"Why is 'god' so mean"
"When will 'god' have punished us enough"

I've seen various "holy" types moaning about the Government, but not one word about their boss who made the virus, released it, decided it would jump to man etc.
the_priest

Re: COVID-19 and 'god'

Post by the_priest »

Who is to say God made it. Man's own fetid nature of messing about with animals and indiscrimate eating has done this. No God in this other than the way we love our neighbours in the community and treat those who are in need.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

the_priest wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:23 pm Who is to say God made it.
God gave man free will, therefore anything man does God is responsible
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

So you recognise God in giving man free will, but not the fact that we reap what we sow? So we are not responsible for our mistakes and cockups? That is not the definition of freedom. We need to grow up and see that we are responsible for what happens around us, we cannot blame God for our own mistakes and mess. We can look to him for peace, for the ability to put things right and to grow into a better way of living and hope. Forgiveness, faith and love, and indeed redemption. But I am not hear to preach. But I do get pissed when people go "Oh it must be God's fault" when they are holding the smoking gun.
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Skub

Post by Skub »

We live in an indifferent universe.

The god notion is a human construct.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
WheeliePig

Post by WheeliePig »

the_priest wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:23 pm Who is to say God made it. Man's own fetid nature of messing about with animals and indiscrimate eating has done this. No God in this other than the way we love our neighbours in the community and treat those who are in need.
'god' made everything.... :wtf:
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

I was brought up as a Christian, I was christened and took the decision to be confirmed but I struggle now with the concept of God mainly because of my life experiences....... :(
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Its mebbe a bit early in the life of the forum and also at a sensitive time in general to be ripping into someones faith.

Yes?

Usually I'd jump right into the deep end but maybe just for a while we lay off?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

the_priest wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:58 pm So you recognise God .
Mostly not, I'm just pulling your plonker.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:46 pm
Please don't, it is already too long.... :mrgreen:

But seriously, faith is a personal choice. My faith has deeply informed and shaped my life in how I relate to the world and to people. It is my choice. Just the same as I don't take the piss out of people for being of other faiths or atheist, why take the piss out of me for believing what I chose to believe?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

the_priest wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:27 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:46 pm
Please don't, it is already too long.... :mrgreen:

But seriously, faith is a personal choice. My faith has deeply informed and shaped my life in how I relate to the world and to people. It is my choice. Just the same as I don't take the piss out of people for being of other faiths or atheist, why take the piss out of me for believing what I chose to believe?
Because it's easy, and I'm in a lazy / bad mood :silent:
You are of course free to believe what ever you want, for me it's all a little 'flat earth society' but if it makes you happy who am I to tell you you're wrong.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Many folk only turn to God when times in there life become very difficult. A secret prayer for a loved one, a last hope for help... A few more of us could be looking up to the skies soon enough.
Hope I've cheered everybody up. Have a good day. 🙂
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

demographic wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:05 pm Its mebbe a bit early in the life of the forum and also at a sensitive time in general to be ripping into someones faith.

Yes?

I'm saying this as a poster, not as an Admin but yes, I think now is not the time too.

Also, I don't mean from a "don't argue on my forum" , it's all of your forum too and I don't want people pussying around playing nice just out of some weird loyalty.

But I absolutely agree
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Whatever gets you through the night is alright................ :thumbup:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

the_priest wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:58 pm So you recognise God in giving man free will, but not the fact that we reap what we sow? So we are not responsible for our mistakes and cockups? That is not the definition of freedom. We need to grow up and see that we are responsible for what happens around us, we cannot blame God for our own mistakes and mess. We can look to him for peace, for the ability to put things right and to grow into a better way of living and hope. Forgiveness, faith and love, and indeed redemption. But I am not hear to preach. But I do get pissed when people go "Oh it must be God's fault" when they are holding the smoking gun.
God gave us free will? Free will to serve him or burn in hell? Is that freedom, or is it something imposed? If you were point a gun at someone and ask them to do 20 press-ups would they be doing it from their own free will or would it be imposed on them?

Sorry, I’m not here to bash your faith, but I do get pissed when people fall back on the line of we have god-given free will ;)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

WheeliePig

Post by WheeliePig »

weeksy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:24 am
demographic wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:05 pm Its mebbe a bit early in the life of the forum and also at a sensitive time in general to be ripping into someones faith.

Yes?

I'm saying this as a poster, not as an Admin but yes, I think now is not the time too.

Also, I don't mean from a "don't argue on my forum" , it's all of your forum too and I don't want people pussying around playing nice just out of some weird loyalty.

But I absolutely agree
I disagree, now is the time people are being pulled mentally from pillar to post, with some placing false hopes on things like 'god'. Why is my opinion less important than someone who thinks 'god' is real. The thread is not abusive, its not even contentious, it's fact based. It's a question, why has no one asked one of these holy folk wtf they hink their 'god' is doing.

I'm tired of the news wheeling out people of faith to pick holes in what the government are doing. It's piss easy to sit on the sidelines and pick holes in running the country in such dire times. IF 'god' was real, and IF we are to believe in the bible, we have to accept he created ALL living things, this includes viruses. We are told he is ever-loving, never-failing, omnipresent and omnipotent, yet conveniently those of faith are blaming everyone but 'god' and yet IF 'god' is real, he sat down and decided to do this to his 'children'. I find that abhorrent.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

the_priest

Post by the_priest »

WheeliePig wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:40 pm
I disagree, now is the time people are being pulled mentally from pillar to post, with some placing false hopes on things like 'god'. Why is my opinion less important than someone who thinks 'god' is real. The thread is not abusive, its not even contentious, it's fact based. It's a question, why has no one asked one of these holy folk wtf they hink their 'god' is doing.

I'm tired of the news wheeling out people of faith to pick holes in what the government are doing. It's piss easy to sit on the sidelines and pick holes in running the country in such dire times. IF 'god' was real, and IF we are to believe in the bible, we have to accept he created ALL living things, this includes viruses. We are told he is ever-loving, never-failing, omnipresent and omnipotent, yet conveniently those of faith are blaming everyone but 'god' and yet IF 'god' is real, he sat down and decided to do this to his 'children'. I find that abhorrent.
You have an issue with God, then talk to Him about it. You issue of God chosing to do things to people, is mostly people doing thing to people and the effects of people manipulating creation in a bad way. Why take it out on others. Me, I talk to God about the things that piss me off, but I also do what I can about the things that piss me off, I also do the things that make a difference to other people's lives. I am not a spectator and neither is he. His Son Jesus Christ came into the world to bring love, hope and salvation to all who chose to believe in him.

If you do not believe then what have you lost? Why is it so important for you to disparage other people's faith?
WheeliePig

Post by WheeliePig »

the_priest wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:25 pm
WheeliePig wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:40 pm

You have an issue with God, then talk to Him about it. You issue of God chosing to do things to people, is mostly people doing thing to people and the effects of people manipulating creation in a bad way. Why take it out on others. Me, I talk to God about the things that piss me off, but I also do what I can about the things that piss me off, I also do the things that make a difference to other people's lives. I am not a spectator and neither is he. His Son Jesus Christ came into the world to bring love, hope and salvation to all who chose to believe in him.

If you do not believe then what have you lost? Why is it so important for you to disparage other people's faith?
I have an issue with faithers going on TV moaning about the Government, when they don't moan about the being that must be responsible. I'm not disparaging anyone's faith, I'm curious why no faither hasn't been asked the question of 'why did you do this' to their 'god' or more to the point, why we still allow the ramblings about sky fairies on the news like it is fact. It's utter tripe.

You choose to believe, and are mortally wounded it would seem that someone has asked a simple question. Why is that so? Why do I have to listen to 'faithers' without asking a question? Ignore them? Is that your answer? If so, you are just as free to ignore this post, are you not?

As for "talking to 'god'" - if you talk to any other non-existent being, you're classed as mad... yet somehow talking to 'god' isn't so... #rolleyes