Christmas 2023 - what plans do you have?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
MrLongbeard

Re: Christmas 2023 - what plans do you have?

Post by MrLongbeard »

Barring the door, drawing the curtains and turning off the lights would be my ideal Xmas, but being married with a daughter I doubt I'll get my way.
So, best case scenario, the wife decides to let me cook the meat for the season on my smoker and I get to spend most of the day outside / in the garage.

Since my team at work has been downsized I'll be working for the first time in years over the Xmas break to allow my team mate to have xmas off with his kiddies, so it'll be a quiet couple of weeks with luck.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

This will be the second time in adulthood that I've spent Christmas in my own home as I've always gone to my Mum's and the last time and only time I've cooked Christmas dinner in my own kitchen was 20 years ago. I'm looking forward to it as I won't be carrying loads of food around, back and forth to my Mum's house and, if I dare, I can have a drink.

My sons will be here and it will feel cramped but that's ok - it will be cosy. The routine will be the same, Eggs Benedict for breakfast, open gifts, play with gifts, mill around and eat snacks, huge Christmas dinner with all the trimmings (must haves but not limited to - stuffed turkey, carrots roasted in rosemary and honey, chestnut stuffing, pigs in blankets, Yorkshire puds, brussels), more gifts, watch a film while eating Christmas pudding, sleep.

I don't do Christmas decorations or cards, just presents and lots and lots of food :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Lockdown refugee
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Trinity765 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:09 am brussels
:sick:

You're dead to me....
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Dunxster

Post by Dunxster »

Business as usual for my wife and I. For the past nine years we’ve spent Christmas morning at a local animal rescue, where we do voluntary work every Saturday. So it'll be cleaning the outdoor cat houses first thing and then the fun bit - distributing the gifts that have been donated by the public.

Hopefully, my busted collarbone will be okay by then.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Skub wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:42 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:39 pm I'm hoping my Xmas treat will be emptying my sack
Sheesh and they say romance is dead.
I'm a silver tongued cavalier
Honda Owner
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

gremlin wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:18 am

You're dead to me....
No one here likes them but I get told off if I don't do them because "It's not Christmas dinner without brussel sprouts". Seriously! True story!
Lockdown refugee
636mick

Post by 636mick »

For the first time in many years I’ve got 2 weeks off over Xmas. The F’s daughter is home for Christmas Day so it’ll be fake Maccys for brekky, veggies version for her, pressys, dinner which is Lamb as usual, then TV and games in the pm, then a few drinks. Christmas Eve will be a Chinese, Boxing Day the daughter is off to her partners so we get to lie in, chill and enjoy each others company.
In the gaps I’m looking for a bike to fettle and fix over winter so I can return to the fold next year, health allowing, and I’m hoping to find a bargain so I can go fetch it, thats my chrissy pressy to myself!!
Mick
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

You're dead to me....
I honestly do like sprouts and have been buying, cooking and eating 'em since they appeared again in M&S this year. They're just little savoy cabbages. A few minutes steam and they're :thumbup:

(OK some people don't like cabbage either...but I do :D ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:39 pm

You're dead to me....
I honestly do like sprouts and have been buying, cooking and eating 'em since they appeared again in M&S this year. They're just little savoy cabbages. A few minutes steam and they're :thumbup:

I so hate it when people say they are just little cabbages!! It took years for me to like the taste of cabbage (only once I found how to it well!! :lol: ) but sprouts?

They DO NOT taste like little cabbages :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:13 pm

You're dead to me....

I so hate it when people say they are just little cabbages!! It took years for me to like the taste of cabbage (only once I found how to it well!! :lol: ) but sprouts?

They DO NOT taste like little cabbages :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
They're actually sweeter than cabbage. I know people taste things differently, like some people retch at the taste of coriander, but really? Sprouts? They're not like the horrid things they boiled to oblivion back in the 60s and 70s if you get 'em from M&S. They're delish. You can slice 'em up and stir fry 'em too.

Don't understand the sprout hate, at all. I am an out and proud sprout lover and look forward to their annual appearance. :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I bloody love sprouts, always been one of my faves ever since I was a child. Always loved Broccoli too.

Which is not a surprise, cause they're the same species.

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:29 pm I bloody love sprouts, always been one of my faves ever since I was a child. Always loved Broccoli too.

Which is not a surprise, cause they're the same species.

I'm in on broccoli too. :thumbup: Lordy be...this lot just want chips, burgers and baked beans...they've never grown up! :lol:
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:26 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:13 pm

They're actually sweeter than cabbage. I know people taste things differently, like some people retch at the taste of coriander, but really? Sprouts? They're not like the horrid things they boiled to oblivion back in the 60s and 70s if you get 'em from M&S. They're delish. You can slice 'em up and stir fry 'em too.

Don't understand the sprout hate, at all. I am an out and proud sprout lover and look forward to their annual appearance. :obscene-birdiedoublered:
I do accept that some of my dislike is that in my family all veg was boiled to death, and then a little more. It went splat when it hit the plate. Byt the time they all decided that al dente was better, non of us kids liked veg! (Although my little brother hates veg because he remembers it as never cooked - the al dente phase! Weird how memories work!!)

I have tried with sprouts cos my family insisted on them at Christmas. I have cooked them in so many different ways, even with butter and bacon - a combination guaranteed to make anything taste better. But not sprouts!! LOL

After many years I said that if they wanted sprouts, they could bring them :D And once there were little kids in the family I agreed to eat one sprout with Christmas dinner to help get the kids to have one too!! :lol: :lol:

I have to admit though, I don't think I've eaten a sprout for over 10 years (can't remember the last time we had a traditional Christmas dinner!! And, given that I am very aware that my tastes have massively changed in the last few years (some bits gone completely :( ) maybe I should try them again!! :lol: :lol: MAYBE :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The ONLY green things safe to eat are Fruit Pastilles and Jelly Babies... and only as a last resort when you've already eaten all the black ones.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I love Brussels! They are also really nice grated and stir fried with garlic and chilli and squeeze of lemon!
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm on a few forums and the overarching theme around these Christmas threads is all about who you are spending it with.

I never used to give it much thought but as I get older I realise how important family is, I know it's a cliché but the things that money can't buy really are the things that give the most happiness in life. We had a birthday party for my lad yesterday at our house and it was so nice, the most expensive thing was an Asda cake and candles (£12) but the day was priceless. You can buy things to put a smile on peoples faces, but the smiles you get for free just because they're happy to be there with you are nicer.

Anyway, it's officially December, so it's now not too soon to wish everyone a Merry Christmas :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Potter wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:29 am I'm on a few forums and the overarching theme around these Christmas threads is all about who you are spending it with.

I never used to give it much thought but as I get older I realise how important family is, I know it's a cliché but the things that money can't buy really are the things that give the most happiness in life. We had a birthday party for my lad yesterday at our house and it was so nice, the most expensive thing was an Asda cake and candles (£12) but the day was priceless. You can buy things to put a smile on peoples faces, but the smiles you get for free just because they're happy to be there with you are nicer.

Anyway, it's officially December, so it's now not too soon to wish everyone a Merry Christmas :obscene-drinkingcheers:
I feel like I've just read a condensed version of A Christmas Carol :lol:
Lockdown refugee
Potter

Post by Potter »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:54 am
I feel like I've just read a condensed version of A Christmas Carol :lol:
Not far off :lol:

I think it's a reasonably common story, I've spent my whole life hurtling through the days and weeks not really thinking about stuff like that, I was too busy, modern life often demands a lot from us and you can't always fit everything in, the kids have their own key and grab their own snacks when they come in from school, you don't get chance to spend weekends with extended family, etc.

Of course, it's all very well knowing this, but if you have to work long hours to pay the bills then you can only do what you can do.
It's like the volunteer/charity work, it's often the case that you only have the spare time to give to others once you've satisfied your own needs.

But yeah, I've had a lovely few days with family and this ultimately is more satisfying in terms of happiness than any new car or trinket.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Taipan wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:57 pm I love Brussels! They are also really nice grated and stir fried with garlic and chilli and squeeze of lemon!
Another lover of sprouts here. They are not just for Christmas in my house. Last weekend i had them with roast lamb what was rather nice and i like a little crunch in them. Boiled to feck can do one. I do like a tradition at Christmas though with them being finished in a frying pan with butter and either nutmeg or bits of bacon.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:19 am But yeah, I've had a lovely few days with family and this ultimately is more satisfying in terms of happiness than any new car or trinket.
Can i have one of your motorbikes then ?