Business Question

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Big Red

Re: Business Question

Post by Big Red »

Also worth reminding that employing people will cost you money.
Extra insurance, damage/neglect to your vehicle,(they will not treat it as you would as it isn't their property) and of course wages.
You would need to be making a sizable profit on the runs you were not doing the driving yourself for this to work financially for you.
If not it is to easy to run a business to pay other peoples wages without it being financially profitable for you.
Just my opinion from employing and running a business for 31 years, but good luck whatever you decide.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Noggin wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:17 am I was. I couldn't be for the last year due to...
It's hard but you need to know whether you're where you're supposed to be and the issues are part of the ride, or whether you're banging your head against the wall and it's time to exit stage left.

When I look back over my career it was quite simple really, when I was happy then I did well, when I wasn't then no matter how much I thought it was the right direction or how much I flogged myself it just didn't work out.

It's really hard to make the decision, but sometimes I've had to walk away and try something else.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I did some IT contracting around 20 years ago and made shit loads. Changed my life.

But went back to full time for easy life.
But wouldn't be here now if I hadn't done the contracts.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Yorick wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:46 pm I did some IT contracting around 20 years ago and made shit loads. Changed my life.

But went back to full time for easy life.
But wouldn't be here now if I hadn't done the contracts.
Similar story here, but in telecoms rather than IT. Made some good money for a while, BUT the entire telecom bubble burst. Changed my life for sure, I was an unemployed contractor and the very few contracts that were available were at fraction of the rate I was used to billing. So I changed direction and went permanent in aerospace. Not nearly as much money, but an easy life. :)
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

I typed a long reply but dunno where it went.
Basically I’ve had my business 30 years and in recent times it’s got a lot bigger and busier. The only reason I’ve chased this is to top my pension up. Once that’s done I’ll move on. I can’t see how you could do less and let others do the work so you can use it as an income. A successful business needs you 24/7 especially with employees. I’ve seen the reasons it hasn’t worked out so far and I have to say your health is far more important. Have you put together a business plan to prove it can work ? If that says it can it could be worth doing, but if it has a chance of impacting your health I’d say nah.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Potter wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:43 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:17 am I was. I couldn't be for the last year due to...
It's hard but you need to know whether you're where you're supposed to be and the issues are part of the ride, or whether you're banging your head against the wall and it's time to exit stage left.

When I look back over my career it was quite simple really, when I was happy then I did well, when I wasn't then no matter how much I thought it was the right direction or how much I flogged myself it just didn't work out.

It's really hard to make the decision, but sometimes I've had to walk away and try something else.
Totally. Its why I think I need to give it another winter.

1 - to be sure I have sorted the health thing
2 - to be in the right place to be able to do it

I guess that if, after next winter, I'm unsure, then that will be the time to give up completely. But for now, I feel that I still have the want and passion to make it work; it just wouldn't work if I did it for the coming winter

Couchy wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:21 pm I typed a long reply but dunno where it went.
Basically I’ve had my business 30 years and in recent times it’s got a lot bigger and busier. The only reason I’ve chased this is to top my pension up. Once that’s done I’ll move on. I can’t see how you could do less and let others do the work so you can use it as an income. A successful business needs you 24/7 especially with employees. I’ve seen the reasons it hasn’t worked out so far and I have to say your health is far more important. Have you put together a business plan to prove it can work ? If that says it can it could be worth doing, but if it has a chance of impacting your health I’d say nah.
I don't really mean do less, more that, as I get older I will need others to do the driving more than me and I'll do more of the office/face of the business. If it goes the way I'd want it to, then there should be enough work/vehicles/staff for me to mostly do office. I don't think I'd want to let it go completely, just need to find a way to manage it as I get old!!

It was always my plan to build it to being an income to backup my pension but without me having to drive 4-5 days a week. Doing a day or two here and there would be good tho!

The business itself didn't affect my health badly. I mean, yes, there was a lot of stress, but that was poor decisions!! And a minibus that blew up and the garage refusing to cancel the sale (even though they were legally obliged to do so). Oh, and Covid and Brexit!!

I did have a business plan but I have an accountant friend here that I am going to get to help me do a new one before I commit to anything. I'm 100% sure it will work, with the right number of vehicles/all year round staff/etc etc. But as you say, I need to do it properly to be sure, and to do that, I need to get someone a bit outside to look at the business plan with me :)

The accountant friend is also one of my 'new' friend network that is also the support network I've found. I had neither when I set up originally, so having to do it all 100% solo was definitely not the best way to do things!!

The health issue has been 100% menopause (ok, elements of stress to do with shoulder and financial issues, but the menopause caused the melted brain and made me unable to function. Possibly worse due to the other stress stuff, but I managed the rest before menopause so figure I'd have continued to be able to do that!!). It's about 70% under control now and the final piece of the jigsaw is a hormone I can't get here, so have to wait till I visit the UK to get that bit sorted.

That is the other thing that I need to wait to be sure about. As long as that final piece does work, then I will be happy to start for myself again (but still after the next season!!). If it doesn't, then my brain doesn't function well enough right now to run a business, which means that I can't set up again unless I can find a way to sort the hormone imbalance and get all my brain back!!!

As I said before - I really do appreciate the comments. It has made me think a lot about different things to do with this and, maybe weirdly, feel a lot more positive

Thank you loads you guys xxx
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Big Red wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:53 am Also worth reminding that employing people will cost you money.
Extra insurance, damage/neglect to your vehicle,(they will not treat it as you would as it isn't their property) and of course wages.
You would need to be making a sizable profit on the runs you were not doing the driving yourself for this to work financially for you.
If not it is to easy to run a business to pay other peoples wages without it being financially profitable for you.
Just my opinion from employing and running a business for 31 years, but good luck whatever you decide.
Totally understand. I employed someone in my first season. That particular person was not a good decision! Which is one of the reasons I have been solo for the following 3 years!! Brexit has really p'd on my plans for employees as I had 2 or 3 people in mind, but none have EU passports, so can't do the job :( :( Finding someone I can trust that won't make the passengers sick is definitely going to be a challenge

I will need to go through the figures properly with someone accounts minded. But I do know the business model works. I just need to make it work for me

It is more difficult as its a mostly seasonal business, so I have to make the money in 7 out of 12 months!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Ace, if you want another pair of eyes to look over the business plan the offer is there. If you go ahead good luck and if I can offer any advice let me know 👍
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Do run it past a good French accountant.

In the UK a decent accountant is worth his/her weight in gold to a small business, both in terms of negotiating the tax minefield and all the routine return stuff that they can do in minutes that will take you hours to DIY. French tax and rules are totally different, but I doubt they will be any less complex.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Couchy wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:51 pm Ace, if you want another pair of eyes to look over the business plan the offer is there. If you go ahead good luck and if I can offer any advice let me know 👍
Thank you. That is much appreciated and I may well take you up on it nearer the time x

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:03 pm Do run it past a good French accountant.

In the UK a decent accountant is worth his/her weight in gold to a small business, both in terms of negotiating the tax minefield and all the routine return stuff that they can do in minutes that will take you hours to DIY. French tax and rules are totally different, but I doubt they will be any less complex.
Oh they are incredibly complex - worse, the accountant doesn't work for me, they work for the government!!!! So they don't help you avoid tax, they make sure you tick all the requirements :( :(

But, the friend I want to help me is an accountant from the UK but currently working as a company accountant for a local French business. So she will be able to find holes in the business plan but also have a decent knowledge of the French system.

Once she's looked I will get my actual accountant to have a look for me and confirm I've done things right (whilst they do work for the government, it is in their best interests that their customers succeed so they can continue having them as customers!!!)

Because I have a minimum of 18 months till I actually start up again, I do have a good amount of time to start working things out and talking to the right people. But you are 100% right and I do need to know a LOT more about the French system than I did when I first started!!!
Vroomy

Post by Vroomy »

In my own experience with a small online retail venture, I faced hurdles that made me reconsider my timing.

Taking the time to clear debts, save, and fine-tune your business plan can create a solid foundation for success. It's crucial to feel financially secure when transitioning from an employee to an employer. During this period, tools like AdSpy can provide an extra layer of assistance.
petrolpete

Post by petrolpete »

Noggin wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:02 pm
Big Red wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:53 am Also worth reminding that employing people will cost you money.
Totally understand. I employed someone in my first season. That particular person was not a good decision! Which is one of the reasons I have been solo for the following 3 years!! Brexit has really p'd on my plans for employees as I had 2 or 3 people in mind, but none have EU passports, so can't do the job :( :( Finding someone I can trust that won't make the passengers sick is definitely going to be a challenge

I will need to go through the figures properly with someone accounts minded. But I do know the business model works. I just need to make it work for me

It is more difficult as its a mostly seasonal business, so I have to make the money in 7 out of 12 months!!
So if the business model Is doing vans for skiing in winter why not do mountain biking tours in the summer? It's always good to have a fallback it could also be teaching English as that could be an earner if there is no snow or other constraints. Just a thought.
Horse

Post by Horse »

petrolpete wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:35 am teaching English as that could be an earner if there is no snow or other constraints.
My expat mate has two [online] French tutors. One 'formal', the other conversational ('real world').

eg (my example, not his):
"I do not know the answer"
Vs
"Dunno" *

* this may or may not be accompanied by a Gallic, 'don't really care', shoulder shrug**

** other stereotypes available on request
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

petrolpete wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:35 am
So if the business model Is doing vans for skiing in winter why not do mountain biking tours in the summer? It's always good to have a fallback it could also be teaching English as that could be an earner if there is no snow or other constraints. Just a thought.
Absolutely, that was in the plan. But due to lots and lots of things, I am working for someone else now and actually earning money for a change - still seasonally which isn't perfect, but hopefully even with seasonal work, life will get some balance back soon :)

Horse wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:11 am
petrolpete wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:35 am teaching English as that could be an earner if there is no snow or other constraints.
My expat mate has two [online] French tutors. One 'formal', the other conversational ('real world').

eg (my example, not his):
"I do not know the answer"
Vs
"Dunno" *

* this may or may not be accompanied by a Gallic, 'don't really care', shoulder shrug**

** other stereotypes available on request
Here, to teach officially, I'd have to be registered and qualified etc etc

But I do help friends and they help me. As time goes on, I might get qualified and registered if I can :D
KneeToTheConcrete

Post by KneeToTheConcrete »

Drawing from my own experience with a small online retail venture, I encountered a series of challenges that compelled me to reevaluate my approach. I found that taking the time to meticulously clear outstanding debts, diligently save funds, and refine my business plan laid a solid foundation for future success.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Vroomy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:10 pm In my own experience with a small online retail venture, I faced hurdles that made me reconsider my timing.

Taking the time to clear debts, save, and fine-tune your business plan can create a solid foundation for success. It's crucial to feel financially secure when transitioning from an employee to an employer. During this period, tools like AdSpy can provide an extra layer of assistance.
KneeToTheConcrete wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:51 am Drawing from my own experience with a small online retail venture, I encountered a series of challenges that compelled me to reevaluate my approach. I found that taking the time to meticulously clear outstanding debts, diligently save funds, and refine my business plan laid a solid foundation for future success.
Ooooh, almost an echo in here? ;)
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Nordboy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:45 am
Vroomy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:10 pm In my own experience with a small online retail venture, I faced hurdles that made me reconsider my timing.
:D :D
KneeToTheConcrete wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:51 am Drawing from my own experience with a small online retail venture, I encountered a series of challenges that compelled me to reevaluate my approach. I found that taking the time to meticulously clear outstanding debts, diligently save funds, and refine my business plan laid a solid foundation for future success.
Ooooh, almost an echo in here? ;)
Have you ever thought of being a detective with investigative skills like that? :lol: