What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by gremlin »

Swept this lot up....
IMG-20231113-WA0001_copy_864x1536.jpg
IMG-20231113-WA0001_copy_864x1536.jpg (557.34 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Moral of this story: never prop an old shower screen up against a fence when there's a bit of a storm blowing a hoolie...
:D

Edit: in fairness, it's all now swept up and in a Sport Direct bag for life (where would we be without Sports Direct bags for life?) and a lot bloody easier to move around than when it was whole.

See the end panel that didn't fall over? Now where did I put my hammer...?
Last edited by gremlin on Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:51 pm
the_priest wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:32 pm Popped down to the vicarage and relocated my single malt collection... and wine too.
Do you have a standard communion wine? Or do you pick a nice one?
At the moment I have a very nice Italian Communion Wine given to me by a dear friend. I usually buy Sacramental wine from FA Dumont suppliers as they have a good selection most of the time.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

the_priest wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:42 pm
the_priest wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:32 pm Popped down to the vicarage and relocated my single malt collection... and wine too.
At the moment I have a very nice Italian Communion Wine given to me by a dear friend. I usually buy Sacramental wine from FA Dumont suppliers as they have a good selection most of the time.
Just one glass eh?
Screenshot_20231113_151501_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20231113_151501_Samsung Internet.jpg (177.41 KiB) Viewed 330 times
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I was brought up Catholic and we believed the wine became the blood of Christ.
If you were unlucky enough to be breathalysed after, could you claim that as defence?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

It's been sodding raining up here all day (and probably part of last night :( :( :( ) Gutted :(

But I did get to see my boss today and so asked to borrow a vehicle! Had a prescription to get, haven't been to the supermarket for nearly 4 weeks and I thought I needed some winter boots!!

Couldn't get the boots but sorted everything else!!

It's still sodding raining :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Noggin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:04 pm It's been sodding raining up here all day (and probably part of last night :( :( :( ) Gutted :(

But I did get to see my boss today and so asked to borrow a vehicle! Had a prescription to get, haven't been to the supermarket for nearly 4 weeks
What do you do for food?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:32 pm Moral of this story: never prop an old shower screen up against a fence when there's a bit of a storm blowing a hoolie...
:D
I had that happen to me in the shower. Just rolled the rolly door shut and...BANG! Glass everywhere and me all naked and everything.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:21 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:04 pm It's been sodding raining up here all day (and probably part of last night :( :( :( ) Gutted :(

But I did get to see my boss today and so asked to borrow a vehicle! Had a prescription to get, haven't been to the supermarket for nearly 4 weeks
What do you do for food?
We have a 'Spar' up here for basics/emergencies, but it's flipping expensive, so I try not to use it much - although I do do a random wander on a regular basis for dated stuff that works out to a similar price as it is in the valley. Not often that much that's very cheap but if it is it generally gets chucked in the freezer!

Last time I went down I did a big shop but mostly for the freezer. So I've been eating from that and doing batch cooking so I have 'meals' in the freezer. Biggest thing I missed out on this interseason was the friend with an allotment in the valley gives away a lot of the veg - but I couldn't get down (he's happy to swap a big bag of veg for some homemade cakes :D )

So, I don't starve, but it's nice to get down and stock up on some basics for the freezer.

Oh, and the local company that sells 'british foods' had some stuff on sale last week and they deliver. So I had to get a bag of potatoes today as between the free fish fillets I was given at the end of the season, and the bag of seafood mix from the sale, I can make a decent amount of fish pie for the freezer for not very much money at all :D :D

(And when I get that freezer a friend is selling me, it'll be easier to freeze the meals I make and keep the little chest freezer for buying/freezing bulk stuff to then make 'ready' meals from :D :D )
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:25 pm

I was brought up Catholic and we believed the wine became the blood of Christ.
If you were unlucky enough to be breathalysed after, could you claim that as defence?
I can walk to the church, so no need to drive. And I also only have a sip. I can, if required, ask a church warden or sacristan to reverently consume the remaining wine. There is usually only a small amount anyhow. I also use a bit of water (signifies the water from our Lord's side when the spear pierced him on the cross), which dilutes it.

So I should not have difficulties with a breathalyser test. :-)
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I take it nobody has ever had a sniff and proclaimed that it's corked and sent it back...? ;)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:37 am I take it nobody has ever had a sniff and proclaimed that it's corked and sent it back...? ;)
An acquaintance was proudly telling me how he declined 2 consecutive bottles (in a restaurant, not church :D ) Because they were 'corked'. Waiter takes a sniff, shrugs and returns with fresh bottle etc. If they'd actually been corked the waiter would have flinched! It's a totally revolting ponk (the wine is actually safely drinkable but you''d never get it past your nose). Once you've had a nostril full you'll never forget it. :shock:

In all those years of my, ermm, interest in Southern Rhones I've experienced it twice...in the same batch of 15+ year old bottles.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

In my many years of wine consumption, I've only had one bottle corked (that was bad enough for me to notice). The waiter wasn't having it when both me and Mrs. Gremlin knew it was, so we invited him to try it. The look on his face was enough to tell me he was now in agreement.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Rare trip to Londinium fro work today - haven't missed the place at all....
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Changed the chain/sprockets on the SDGT after 20k miles - not too bad mileage, I think. I’ve gone for a further gearing change: std is 17 front: 38 rear. That 20k was done on 17/40, now it’s 16/40 which gives about 10% lower gearing overall. The aim is to make 6th gear more useable and less of an overdrive. I’m happy with the change - bike feels much happier at 70-80 too, and I don’t see any disadvantages.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Tested +ve for Covid. Oh joy...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:08 pm Tested +ve for Covid. Oh joy...

What does the +ve mean?
cheb

Post by cheb »

+ve means positive. -ve is negative
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yambo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:48 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:08 pm Tested +ve for Covid. Oh joy...

What does the +ve mean?
Positive. Negative is -ve. I'm just an idle cunt and can't be bothered to type out the full word. But now I have anyway... :D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Busy day at work, followed by a dog walk that wasn't rainy or horrific mud. Lovely sunset on the Sarf Dahns.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Skub

Post by Skub »

I drove favourite daughter to Dublin airport to catch her flight out to Australia. That'll be 2/3rds of the brood out there now,though it's just 3 weeks for her. It was a lovely,bright and dry (for once) Autumn day,pity I had to waste it in a car. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955