Insignificant Things That Make You Happy.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
mangocrazy

Re: Insignificant Things That Make You Happy.

Post by mangocrazy »

gremlin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:39 pm
v8-powered wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:45 pm
gremlin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:42 pm Laithwaites wine delivery!!! :thumbup:
Their festive brochure was delivered yesterday, we shall be placing our bulk order soon :thumbup:
Should have said, that code is for new customers only, so go Incognito browsing and find an email address you've never used before. Everything else can stay the same, it's only the email addy that needs to be unique.

:thumbup:
Best to set up a burner email address you can discard, as Laithwaites will spam you to eternity and back otherwise. They're harder to get rid of than herpes.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:28 pm

Their festive brochure was delivered yesterday, we shall be placing our bulk order soon :thumbup:
Should have said, that code is for new customers only, so go Incognito browsing and find an email address you've never used before. Everything else can stay the same, it's only the email addy that needs to be unique.

Best to set up a burner email address you can discard, as Laithwaites will spam you to eternity and back otherwise. They're harder to get rid of than herpes.
Even better, find someone who can effect an introduction to The Wine Society. :thumbup:

Laithwaites? I've shat 'em. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:32 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:28 pm

Even better, find someone who can effect an introduction to The Wine Society. :thumbup:

Laithwaites? I've shat 'em. :lol:
They have their moments, but their wine is only a bargain with the introductory offer. Once you're a regular customer you can get at least equivalent value/quality at places like Majestic. Of course, if you have access to wines from the south of France at cost, it's better still... :D
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

gremlin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:42 pm Laithwaites wine delivery!!! :thumbup:

Our next delivery as a new customer on its way. Joys of multiple emails.....
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I have had some bloody good red from the Bekah (?) Valley in Lebanon. I can't recall much more detail on account of the fact that I drank most of the bottle, it was that good.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

gremlin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:14 pm I have had some bloody good red from the Bekah (?) Valley in Lebanon. I can't recall much more detail on account of the fact that I drank most of the bottle, it was that good.
The one I remember was Chateau Musar - lovely stuff. It was always referred to as 'red Leb' in my circle of friends... :)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Jammy gits! I'm so envious of these first tracks - not of the day, of the season! Here's hoping for a sunny day and that someone has made some pistes by the weekend so I can co for a little sedate ski tour :D :D

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:26 pm
gremlin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:14 pm I have had some bloody good red from the Bekah (?) Valley in Lebanon. I can't recall much more detail on account of the fact that I drank most of the bottle, it was that good.
The one I remember was Chateau Musar - lovely stuff. It was always referred to as 'red Leb' in my circle of friends... :)
They continued to make wine but their vineyards got disturbed by tanks rolling through on occasion. It used to be cheap as chips...but not any more. They're an odd bunch. They won't release wine from a vintage until they think it's ready and what they produce isn't everyone's cuppa. Wife is a fan and I may get her a bottle or two for Christmas...which will last a while as neither of us tope much any more and I just find their wines a bit 'odd'...

The Wikipedia entry for Chateau Musar is interesting, if you're interested in that sort of thing but the WS is less wordy https://www.thewinesociety.com/producer/chateau-musar

£22 a bottle for the 2019 reds and £36 for the whites :shock: ...which I didn't know they did.
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I'm thinking of late '80s pricing on the Musar reds, and even at restaurant markups they were only £10-12 a bottle. They were the go-to reds at the local and excellent (but short-lived) veggie restaurant we frequented.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

We get our wines from Lidl.
A lot of bars serve what we get.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:54 pm I'm thinking of late '80s pricing on the Musar reds, and even at restaurant markups they were only £10-12 a bottle. They were the go-to reds at the local and excellent (but short-lived) veggie restaurant we frequented.
Yup. They used to be about £4-5/bottle 'back in the day' in supermarkets. An acquired taste in my opinion* but SWMBO loved it.

* ie not fit to wash whippets in. :lol:
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I'll be getting a few boxes of wine for Xmas... :thumbup:

ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I bought three bottles of really average white (house) wine yesterday evening*, two at the restaurant one in a pub. They were about £28 each...!

*wasn't alone
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:14 pm I'll be getting a few boxes of wine for Xmas... :thumbup:

10.5%!! That's a red wine spritzer! :o
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Taipan wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:14 pm I'll be getting a few boxes of wine for Xmas... :thumbup:

At that alcohol rating, I'd guess it was made from raspberries grown in Scotland. It does mention fruity berry flavours... :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ChrisW wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:18 pm I bought three bottles of really average white (house) wine yesterday evening*, two at the restaurant one in a pub. They were about £28 each...!

*wasn't alone
The mark up is a bit :(

While I was away recently I relaxed my gusset and had a glass of Primitivo (aka zinfandel) with a meal and a glass of Côtes du Rhone with another meal. My assessment is they sell one (small/medium) glass and that covers the cost of the bottle. The rest is profit. Can't remember exactly but their 250ml glasses at the top of the card/cheap end were getting on for £10 ie £30/bottle for what I'd say were £8.50ish/bottle supermarket wines.

(I know, restaurants - overheads, staff etc etc etc but they charge the same at the bar. It used to be that you pushed the boat out a bit when eating out but if you have to pay £15-20 a glass to match what you might have at home - if you're a bit interested in wine - you end up drinking sparkling water :lol: ).

Oh yeah, it's no cheaper by the bottle and sharing. Every sized glass worked out the same as the bottle price.
Voltaire
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:45 pm Oh yeah, it's no cheaper by the bottle and sharing. Every sized glass worked out the same as the bottle price.
Didn't look at the time but I just had a look a the drinks menu for the restaurant - the 250ml glass price is £10.25 whilst the bottle is £29!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ChrisW wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:57 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:45 pm Oh yeah, it's no cheaper by the bottle and sharing. Every sized glass worked out the same as the bottle price.
Didn't look at the time but I just had a look a the drinks menu for the restaurant - the 250ml glass price is £10.25 whilst the bottle is £29!
Oh well, you save £1.75 and you know you aren't getting short measures if you do it by the bottle. :D
Voltaire
Felix

Post by Felix »

Noggin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:38 pm Jammy gits! I'm so envious of these first tracks - not of the day, of the season! Here's hoping for a sunny day and that someone has made some pistes by the weekend so I can co for a little sedate ski tour :D :D

Get up early and draw a big cock n balls :thumbup:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:45 pm

While I was away recently I relaxed my gusset and had a glass of Primitivo (aka zinfandel)
I 'discovered' primitivo way dahn sarf in Italy years back. I liked it, but you couldn't really find it in the UK back then, as it was considered a bit rough, a bit working class, etc., and everyone was banging on about 'Super Tuscans'.

Fast forward a couple of decades and I find myself shelling out £80 on a bottle in a (granted, pricey) restaurant. I will admit, the producers have upped their game a bit down in Puglia. It was bloody lovely.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!