Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
the_priest

Re: Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

Post by the_priest »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:39 am
the_priest wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:37 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:16 am So how/when do Priests retire? I kinda assumed the calling wouldn't just dissappear when you hit a certain age.
Retirement is at 70, and then we can have PTO (Permission to Officiate), covering weddings, services, funerals etc.. which is what I intend to do if I am physically, mentally and spiritually fit. I would move away from where I had held a position so as to not make life difficult for the next incumbent.
I think I'd quite like having a handy locum tbh.

'Oi! Gerald, can you do a wedding this w/e? I've been invited to Goodwood'.
'Oh, and if you can manage the wardens for the next few years, that'd be :thumbup: Ta.'
The joy is that a PTO can avoid all the messy Church duties aka church warden dealings, faculties and so on. Just turn up, take service, smile nicely and go home. No pay for it, other than travel expenses, but that is not the point of taking the service.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

With all the talk about state pension and retiring ages on the "what have you done today thread", I thought I'd check the Gov webshite and make sure I didn't have any gaps etc..

It led me to a page that predicts what your state pension might look like.

Am I reading this wrong, is it saying that I only need to contribute for one more full year before I can claim the maximum amount when I retire?

If so, after next year will my National Insurance go down?

The bit I didn't grab says "If you’re working you may still need to pay National Insurance contributions until 25 April 2046 as they fund other state benefits and the NHS".
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-05 095345.png
Screenshot 2023-11-05 095345.png (187.87 KiB) Viewed 642 times
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It's ok, I asked Google...

https://www.ii.co.uk/analysis-commentar ... n-ii510447

I had no ide this was how the state pension worked.

Unlike when you put money into a private pension, your NICs are not set aside in a ringfenced pot to be spent on your state pension when you retire. Instead, the NICs of today’s workers are used to pay the pensions of today’s pensioners.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:19 am It's ok, I asked Google...

Unlike when you put money into a private pension, your NICs are not set aside in a ringfenced pot to be spent on your state pension when you retire. Instead, the NICs of today’s workers are used to pay the pensions of today’s pensioners.
In most non-governmental circles, that would be known as a Ponzi scheme.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

So the wife and i will get about £1600 a month state pensions! :shock: We live simple lives and could probably manage on that as we've no rent or mortgage to find. But we both have private pensions to go on top of that as well! Y'all can kiss my superannuated arse! :D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:01 am
KungFooBob wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:19 am It's ok, I asked Google...

In most non-governmental circles, that would be known as a Ponzi scheme.
NI always strikes me as yet another example of massive over complexity. Bin it off and make income tax higher.

The one which really made me laugh was child benefits. If either parent earns over a certain threshold you have to pay some/all of it back. However 'they' still advise you to claim it in those cases so that the break in your NI contributions due to child care can be recorded.

If only there was some other way they could tell you have children. :think:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:16 am So the wife and i will get about £1600 a month state pensions! :shock:
I read that as £1600 each and was wondering where the hell I can sign up for this option. You mean £200 each per week, so 200 ×2 x4 :lol:
Potter

Post by Potter »

£1600 a month between two when you're all done raising kids and paying mortgages isn't to be sniffed at.
It won't pay for new cars every year but for us that would mean eating reasonably well and having the heating on when we want to.

If you're not paying it via PAYE then it's definitely worth paying voluntarily, the rates are: £3.15 a week for Class 2 and £15.85 a week for Class 3.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The link to this article dropped into my email recently. There's a couple of graphs that show what inflation does to cash/interest type savings over a decent period. There's a comparison with the same initial amount (£10k) invested in a FTSE index. None of it is earth-shattering revelations but it's still food for thought.

https://www.fidelity.co.uk/markets-insi ... Sy2iRitDi5
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Potter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:43 pm £1600 a month between two when you're all done raising kids and paying mortgages isn't to be sniffed at.
It won't pay for new cars every year but for us that would mean eating reasonably well and having the heating on when we want to.

If you're not paying it via PAYE then it's definitely worth paying voluntarily, the rates are: £3.15 a week for Class 2 and £15.85 a week for Class 3.

My wife and I are getting that amount but fortunately we’ve got other pensions coming in as well.

You’d be surprised how it doesn’t go as far as you’d think. Yes we could manage week to week but then the car needs taxed/serviced/new tyres, the boiler needs replacing or the cat get rushed to the vet.

It’s the unexpected stuff that’s the killer.

My wife has just newly got her pension and out of curiosity we’re trying to see how long the 2 pensions alone will last and I think we’d be struggling at the end. Of course it’s doable but it would be a pretty basic existence.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Scotsrich wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:45 pm
My wife and I are getting that amount but fortunately we’ve got other pensions coming in as well.

You’d be surprised how it doesn’t go as far as you’d think. Yes we could manage week to week but then the car needs taxed/serviced/new tyres, the boiler needs replacing or the cat get rushed to the vet.

It’s the unexpected stuff that’s the killer.

My wife has just newly got her pension and out of curiosity we’re trying to see how long the 2 pensions alone will last and I think we’d be struggling at the end. Of course it’s doable but it would be a pretty basic existence.
I just did a quick run through the bank transactions for a typical month. One of those £800/month would have covered Council Tax, utilities (excluding phones), insurances and food. Leaving £100 each per week for petrol, car servicing and everything else, including trying to keep a surplus for those emergencies. ie our last month included a big slab for tree surgery. It'd be a pretty dismal existence living off just the state pension. If one half of the couple pegs out it'd be even more dismal financially. :(

On the plus side you get 13 'months' in a state pension year and a couple of months off paying Council Tax.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

My essential routine bills (in the UK) excluding food come to about a grand, but we spend a lot more than that because we're frivolous, I have no idea what anything costs anymore, I don't pay attention, but if we were retired and settled then it would be different and I know we would spend less.

Sixteen hundred a month would keep us alive and heated, but not much more, if the roof blew off and that's all we had then we'd be bolloxed - however I still think the sixteen hundred would be a comfort knowing that I don't have to turn a screw and for the rest of my life the basics are covered and I'm going to be fed, watered and warmed up.

My spends at the other place are fantastically higher, but that's not really relevant I suppose.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I have my state pension paid straight into my Turkish bank. I have to suffer the rate of exchange on the day but currently, with the Turkish Lira struggling a bit - the economy is a shit state with (you think the UK's bad) high inflation I'm reasonably well off every month. It certainly pays all my monthly bills including food.

I'm on the lower rate of the two tier minimum pension scam - I'm 4 months too old to receive the so called minimum payment and I was opted out of SERPs for the time I was in the army (not my choice) but I'm still able to live comfortably. I have two other pensions mind so not destitute and they pay for holidays, astrophotography kit and boats. Do you want to make a small fortune . . . ? :lol:

I also took my pension as soon as I could. I'd already had a heart attack so if I'd deferred it I may well have croaked before I got anything. :D
McSatan

Post by McSatan »

As well as my main pension, I started a top-up pension when I went self employed in the late 90s. I paid into it until 2008 (divorce, house move etc) when I forgot all about it. I had a letter from HMRC quite recently, saying a pension company were trying to track me down, so I got in touch with them.
I wasn't that excited as I'd only paid into it for ten years, but seemingly I'd specifically requested that everything was to be invested in high risk tech stock instead of the more usual pension stuff. The high risk stock turned out to be things like Apple, Amazon etc. Which was nice :) Not quite Bitcoin nice, but still enough to make me swear when the nice lady told me how much :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

McSatan wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:18 pm As well as my main pension, I started a top-up pension when I went self employed in the late 90s. I paid into it until 2008 (divorce, house move etc) when I forgot all about it. I had a letter from HMRC quite recently, saying a pension company were trying to track me down, so I got in touch with them.
I wasn't that excited as I'd only paid into it for ten years, but seemingly I'd specifically requested that everything was to be invested in high risk tech stock instead of the more usual pension stuff. The high risk stock turned out to be things like Apple, Amazon etc. Which was nice :) Not quite Bitcoin nice, but still enough to make me swear when the nice lady told me how much :)
So about that "what would you tell your younger self?" thread....
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Think I definitely need to have another go at getting hold of someone in the tax/pensions office (DWP??) in the uk, my current projection for the French pension is pretty dire!!

I suspect it will get better as I work more (my work history here is terrible for lots of reasons! But I might be working till I drop at this rate :o :o :o :o

Yes, finding someone to talk to in France about pensions is on the list too! But probably need to sort out the UK one first as I can't access online due to them having my DOB incorrect (so can't get into the online system :( ) and not having been in the country long enough in the last 6 years to actually go talk to anyone :roll: :roll:

In theory I have 10 years to sort it, but I think I'll be working longer than that :cry: :cry:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well that was interesting.. Just had a Webinar with Johnson Fleming/Scottish Widows and gone through some of my pension stuff.

Massively impressed with how the pension has done in 2023... Gone up by a fair bit.

According to pension calculator it should (in theory anyway) be worth £45,000 a year at retirement.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

weeksy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:31 pm
According to pension calculator it should (in theory anyway) be worth £45,000 a year at retirement.
My IFA told me the same thing a few weeks back, before adding cheerily, 'All you need to do is keep breathing 'til then'. :eh:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

gremlin wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:38 pm
My IFA told me the same thing a few weeks back, before adding cheerily, 'All you need to do is keep breathing 'til then'. :eh:
Well the reality for me (i hope ) is that it won't be the case as i plan on taking some out at 55 and retiring before 67 if i can.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:44 pm
gremlin wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:38 pm
Well the reality for me (i hope ) is that it won't be the case as i plan on taking some out at 55 and retiring before 67 if i can.
Retirement is ace :D