Move over 690, the Superquadro Mono is here!

Anything you like about motorbikes
Couchy

Re: Move over 690, the Superquadro Mono is here!

Post by Couchy »

The SP version is £12k before you add the essential termi exhaust. It's £3k too much tbh
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Couchy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:03 pm The SP version is £12k before you add the essential termi exhaust. It's £3k too much tbh
You're still in 2006 :D

Decent bikes with 1000+cc are £20,000 now... Maybe £25,000
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Couchy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:03 pm The SP version is £12k before you add the essential termi exhaust. It's £3k too much tbh
When I bought my 690 Duke R in late 2017, list price was £8,999 which was verging on taking the piss territory, I thought. I got it for £700 off, which sweetened the deal somewhat. But it did have the Akra can, the fully adjustable WP suspension and the pukka Brembo radial m/cyl and M50 caliper so that seemed fair to me.

£12k really is taking the piss, though.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:14 pm
When I bought my 690 Duke R in late 2017, list price was £8,999 which was verging on taking the piss territory, I thought. I got it for £700 off, which sweetened the deal somewhat. But it did have the Akra can, the fully adjustable WP suspension and the pukka Brembo radial m/cyl and M50 caliper so that seemed fair to me.

The new KTM 690 SMT is £12,499
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225811901450 ... R-bLk43yYg

The 690 SMC-R is £10,000 give or take...

So it depends if Ducati do a base and an SP and what both have as to how crazy it is...

I'd still take a 690 Duke over either/both though personally.
Potter

Post by Potter »

We've been through the pricing argument before, the actual total cost doesn't matter, most people will just look at the monthly payment, so everyone in the chain will take the piss.
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Here you go, it's all in here!
Base model £10,995
Last edited by Zimbo on Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

According to Bennetts all you get for the extra dosh on the RVE model is dual colour wheels, fancy paint job and a quick shifter as standard. Still uses the same Marzocchi forks/Sachs shock as the base model. At least KTM did give you some proper bling for your extra dosh with the 690 'R' model.

And @weeksy the eBay link you posted is a bit confused. It's actually for an 890SMT, not a 690. KTM gave up on the the Duke 690 at the end of 2018, I seem to recall.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Zimbo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:33 pm

Here you go, it's all in here!
Base model £10,995
Enjoy watching them wheelie as 99.9% won't, they're selling a hooligan lifestyle to fat old men ;)
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Couchy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:57 pm

Enjoy watching them wheelie as 99.9% won't, they're selling a hooligan lifestyle to fat old men ;)
Ah, but it's got "wheelie hero" mode, switch it on, bang the throttle open and let the electronics look after throttle and rear brake. Same with sliding the back wheel into corners, all in a selectable mode.
Only thing is, as with most modern technology in lots of walks of life, it's very quickly de-skilling the population. In a generation all those old-skool skills that took years of practice and crashing to perfect are gone. Take away the electronics on most modern bikes in a few years and no-one will be able to keep the things wheel side down for long ...
Still fancy a go on one, 150KG sounds like fun to me!
And it's fat old men who have the cash to buy them.
And actually, I'm creeping ever closer to fat old man status myself :-)
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I love the 'carefully parked in the middle of an empty car park where you can take a photo of it' spy shot ;)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

weeksy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:10 pm You're still in 2006 :D

Decent bikes with 1000+cc are £20,000 now... Maybe £25,000
Unfortunately so is my income...
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
mboy

Post by mboy »

weeksy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:18 pm The new KTM 690 SMT is £12,499
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225811901450 ... R-bLk43yYg

The 690 SMC-R is £10,000 give or take...

So it depends if Ducati do a base and an SP and what both have as to how crazy it is...

I'd still take a 690 Duke over either/both though personally.
Eh...?

KTM don't make a 690SMT... :crazy:

They make an 890SMT, which is basically an 890 Adventure R turned into a pseudo Sumo, much like the outgoing Hypermotard 950 is...

I'm up near Leicester tonight with work... It's VERY possible I will be calling past John Hackett's in Coventry tomorrow afternoon on my way home to find out more and leave a small deposit! :silent: :lol: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I noted it has 9k mile oil changes and 18k mile desmo service. The 690 is oil and valve service ever 6k.
mboy

Post by mboy »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:14 pm

There's always some "Ducati tax" with any Ducati to be honest... But they hold their value better when it comes resale time too... So it's not a massive issue unless you are pushing the boat out finances wise in the first place. Anyway...

RRP on my Gasgas SM700 was £9349 last year when I bought it... I got it for £7500 as nobody knew what they were and dealers were struggling to move them! To me the £10,995 base model compares pretty favourably to the KTM SMC R 690's current RRP of £9799 though... It's about a 12% premium for the Ducati over the similar KTM, which when you compare other models in their ranges that compete with each other directly, is very competitive!

Personally I can't wait to get a go on one... But then I am both a Ducati fan and a Supermoto fan too... I also love the revvy nature of my current SM700 (SMC R 690 in drag) with the current LC4 engine being quite a bit revvier than previous generations... Less of a "thumper", more of a screamer type engine delivery. The Ducati promises to be even more of the same!
Potter

Post by Potter »

mboy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:52 pm
There's always some "Ducati tax" with any Ducati to be honest... But they hold their value better when it comes resale time too... So it's not a massive issue unless you are pushing the boat out finances wise in the first place. Anyway...

RRP on my Gasgas SM700 was £9349 last year when I bought it... I got it for £7500 as nobody knew what they were and dealers were struggling to move them! To me the £10,995 base model compares pretty favourably to the KTM SMC R 690's current RRP of £9799 though... It's about a 12% premium for the Ducati over the similar KTM, which when you compare other models in their ranges that compete with each other directly, is very competitive!

Personally I can't wait to get a go on one... But then I am both a Ducati fan and a Supermoto fan too... I also love the revvy nature of my current SM700 (SMC R 690 in drag) with the current LC4 engine being quite a bit revvier than previous generations... Less of a "thumper", more of a screamer type engine delivery. The Ducati promises to be even more of the same!
You can still get cracking deals on the GasGas, I've been very tempted a few times to pull the trigger, but I always end up thinking that I'll quickly get bored with it and regret buying it, especially since I rarely sell bikes and it would just end up at the back of the workshop gathering dust until I end up selling it at a big loss in a few years when it's been sat neglected.

If the Ducati is anywhere near as brilliant and exclusive as a the Supermono was then it's worth £12k for the SP all day long, because the more it sat in the back of my workshop unused the more it would increase in value. In fact £12k for a Ducati SP with fancy suspension and trick single engine sounds like a good thing indeed.

The alternative is something like the XSR GP that I've been fawning over at about the same money, I know it will lose money but I don't care because it looks like a 1980's endurance racer and I'll just use it as an ornament.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:13 am
mboy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:52 pm

You can still get cracking deals on the GasGas, I've been very tempted a few times to pull the trigger, but I always end up thinking that I'll quickly get bored with it and regret buying it, especially since I rarely sell bikes and it would just end up at the back of the workshop gathering dust until I end up selling it at a big loss in a few years when it's been sat neglected.

If the Ducati is anywhere near as brilliant and exclusive as a the Supermono was then it's worth £12k for the SP all day long, because the more it sat in the back of my workshop unused the more it would increase in value. In fact £12k for a Ducati SP with fancy suspension and trick single engine sounds like a good thing indeed.

The alternative is something like the XSR GP that I've been fawning over at about the same money, I know it will lose money but I don't care because it looks like a 1980's endurance racer and I'll just use it as an ornament.
I think of all the people on here, you'd be one who'd really really enjoy a 690 in whatever guise. It's more a mentality thing and it's something you have in you with some of your older bikes.
Anyone who finds a 690 dull is just WRONG (IMO). Sure it's not pull your arms out fast 1000cc of bike.. but it's a HOOT !
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:10 am
I think of all the people on here, you'd be one who'd really really enjoy a 690 in whatever guise. It's more a mentality thing and it's something you have in you with some of your older bikes.
Anyone who finds a 690 dull is just WRONG (IMO). Sure it's not pull your arms out fast 1000cc of bike.. but it's a HOOT !
I found the engine dull, but then I got off a 350LC and onto a 690 for a brief go on it.

The engine was also the thing that ruined the Hypermotard SP for me, it was too tractor-like.

Maybe it's my motocross background, as soon as I sit on something that feels like a motocrosser then I expect that kind of engine characteristic and if it's not then it feels dull.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

The caveat I'd put on the Ducati not losing money is that traditionally singles are not in big demand. There's quite a few of us single loving nutters on this forum but I'd say we are very much in a minority. Yes the Supermono is an exception, but I think it was a very different proposition to this new bike, from the start it was limited edition exotica and a perfectly formed racebike. Whereas this is a Hypermotard BUT IT'S ONLY A SINGLE. And that's always the reason singles struggle to sell, people can't get their heads around a bike only having 1 cylinder when they can get a twin, triple etc for the same money. I've no idea why but this seems to be a thing.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I reckon most of the time it's probably cost and weight, if the single is around the same price and weight as something more powerful then people will take the more powerful bike.

And probably versatility, a single is quite focussed and whilst it's possible to have it as an all-rounder there are better things out there.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:57 am Whereas this is a Hypermotard BUT IT'S ONLY A SINGLE. And that's always the reason singles struggle to sell, people can't get their heads around a bike only having 1 cylinder when they can get a twin, triple etc for the same money. I've no idea why but this seems to be a thing.
I'd add 'in the UK' to that comment. On the Continent (certainly in France) singles are highly regarded and sell far better than over here. I think in the UK people lump singles in with old, slow, vibey British iron and regard them as old-fashioned. Anyone who's ridden a 690 Duke knows that assumption is way off beam, they've been reinvented as a totally different animal.