General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Wossname

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Wossname »

PL25 or TR18?
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Spent all night on and around the A1 south of Newark dealing with floods and their associated idiots! Many accidents, knackered BMW and Renault engines, I got very wet.
Got home, stripped off for a shower before bed and found I’ve now got webbed feet, or trench foot, not sure which.
Mick
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Woke up with a bad hangover. I only drink Fridays and Saturdays now and seem to have lost my ability to drink without repercussions! :sick:
cheb

Post by cheb »

A quick dump run, out go some old creels, broken plastic boxen, scratty insulation and a broken TV. In goes a working Makita cordless drill, a Freud biscuit jointer and a small toolbox.

Happy days.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Wossname wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:51 pmPL25 or TR18?
PL25. 😡
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:21 am Woke up with a bad hangover. I only drink Fridays and Saturdays now and seem to have lost my ability to drink without repercussions! :sick:
I can't remember the last time I had more than one drink or two drinks, must be a few years. Last night I unexpectedly had 3 shots of genepi, 1 shot of cointreau (he'd run out of genepi :( ) and then a dark rum and lemonade :o :o :o

Didn't want to say no to the shots as I was being included in the (very) small group that was in the bar, so that's cool. The rum was kinda forced by a drunk friend and a bottle happy barman :lol: :lol: :lol: But I was already close to drunk so didn't put up much of a fight!! LOL

Weird though as in the past I've drunk a LOT of genepi and not had a hangover!

Guess the mixing of drinks and lack of practice has cause the hangover - and the lack of bacon on my cooked breakfast is why that didn't make the headache go away!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Drying out the garage. That rain on Thursday night was too much for the drains to take away. Street is on a slope so we get neighbours water, pretty shite really.

Them tiles just lift and soon dry out. No biggy really, it ain't no workshop. 👍

Imagejpg upload

If I ever moved again, a bigger garage it would be. 🙂
Yamaha rocket 3
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Good selection of bikes there! :thumbup:
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Wossname wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:12 pm Not strictly today, but just back, so…

Had to go to N Derry coast quickly for a family thing, so did the sums. A) Fly Newquay to Belfast, hire car for 3 days, fly back. Total cost £180 ish. Or…B) take the bike.
B, obv. Left Cornwall Friday am, monsoon up A30/M5, miles and miles of filtering through stationary traffic, then dry M4, then up through Wales (monsoon again). Birkenhead ferry overnight, then monsoon Belfast to N coast by main road for speed. Stayed till Monday, then up the coast road, including Torr Head, for those that know, to Belfast. Absolutely glorious. Never seen Scotland looking so clear and so close. Stunning. Back down through Wales, Wye valley etc, a bit windy on the A30 and home Tuesday 3pm. 935 miles. Rain? Pah! - waterproofs. Filtering for miles? Pah! - good practice. Conclusion? Well worth it. Others may disagree…
Just realised - I didn’t mention the cost difference. 935 miles @ 45mpg, ferry @ £200 ish = around £340, so double. I’m still glad I did it….tho I haven’t got round to cleaning the bike yet! It does illustrate how relatively cheap air travel can be.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I love the fact you did the sums, worked out the bike was twice as much and then took that as good reason to use the bike.

Man maths at its finest.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I had a nice run up to the dealers in the car and picked up my satnav bits and fitted them to the new bike. I've no idea how to lift the tank, what bits of plastic I have to remove and in what order so I've done a fair job feeding wires through and tucking them in and will find a youtube vid for future reference. I ordered some silicone cable ties as nylon is too rough on it's skin.
Lockdown refugee
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Taipan wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:26 pm Good selection of bikes there! :thumbup:

Family is complete. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Dodgy69 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:14 pm
If I ever moved again, a bigger garage it would be. 🙂
Bigger garage was one of the main reasons for me moving to where I'm at now.Man needs a mancave :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Wossname wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:35 pm
Just realised - I didn’t mention the cost difference. 935 miles @ 45mpg, ferry @ £200 ish = around £340, so double. I’m still glad I did it….tho I haven’t got round to cleaning the bike yet! It does illustrate how relatively cheap air travel can be.
It's annoying cheap! Or trains etc are overly expensive!! If ever I have a need/want to come back to the uk I check the trains because it would be so much simpler - get on train at the bottom of the mountain, change once or twice, get off train in the UK. But it's over twice the price generally :roll: Takes about the same amount of time (when you include checking in 2hrs in advance and actually getting to the airport!) but where I always think the train should be cheaper, it really isn't :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Finally got around to fitting a cheap ebay blue paper roll holder. It also houses a box of rubber gloves too,which saves me rummaging in cupboards.

The garage is beginning to be a better place to do stuff,though still a work in progress.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Got the roofers in for some maint work. There's 7 of them up there, no sign of Snow White.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Well no, she stayed at home getting duped by nefarious travelling fruit salesmen. Didn't go out to work like a modern woman.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:57 pm Got the roofers in for some maint work. There's 7 of them up there, no sign of Snow White.
So what's up this time? I thought they'd sorted it. :eh:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:19 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:57 pm Got the roofers in for some maint work. There's 7 of them up there, no sign of Snow White.
So what's up this time? I thought they'd sorted it. :eh:
Last time was repairs for a leak in the valley over the window in the family room. This time it's the rest of the roof on the back of the house. Lift all the tiles, repairs around the 5 skylights on the covered patio, replace felt & battens, replace tiles. Looks like they will be done by 5pm at the rate they're going, they showed up at 7.30 this morning.

This was last time:

This time:

Horse

Post by Horse »

Yesterday

Flying to France, from Bristol.

Taxi from here 8:50 to station. Advised to travel via Reading rather than Westbury due to weather issues and if connecting train didn't arrive we would be stuck there.

So we headed to Reading. By which time, all trains from Reading to Bristol were cancelled due to flooding at Swindon.

Filly said 'shall we go home & drive?'

M4 shut by crash ...

Then one train arrived, rerouted ... via Westbury!

Stop-start much of the way, but eventually arrived at Bristol station, lunchtime.

Announcement:
"For any passengers travelling North, we advise you get a refund and travel tomorrow."

Lovely lunch with Foal.

Bus to airport. Flight time 19:05

Delayed
Delayed
Delayed

At airport, bumped into friends we'd not seen for 20+ years. Their flight to Edinburgh was delayed.

Cancelled. Lots of very unhappy, and a few sweary, people. EasyJet app wouldn't work properly for several. However, very helpful member of staff sorted our rebooking.

Bus back to Bristol. It was late arriving at the airport, then even later departing as there were loads of passengers getting on. Driver must have been ex-fire brigade, fair hurtled along. 10 minutes to spare for train. Which was then delayed 20 minutes. A few minutes to spare for connection at Reading. Taxi. Which was late. Back home 01:10

EJ offered us a flight today, from Gatwick. 08:00, We declined 😀

Next offer was tomorrow, 12:05. Squeaky on travel by train for getting to Bristol, with contingency. So we're going to get a taxi. Still use train back next Friday.

EasyJet cancellation compensation is up to £220 per ticket, so will cover it.

Taxi 08:00 tomorrow ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: