What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by cheb »

A bit of garden tidying, shopping for a couple of covid isolators and some washing.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Away for a few days in a country house hotel up in England. Started with a cream tea, now about to gird my loins ready for dinner.

Well, someone has to keep the hospitality sectir afloat.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Skub

Post by Skub »

I gave the Zed a run out for a couple of hours today. Heated grips were welcome. Rain and wind arriving tomorrow,so that'll probably be the last biking for a while.

Twas nice while it lasted.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I seem to have suggested that will open the office at 7am tomorrow, well, most Wednesdays :shock: and Mondays :shock:!!

Not overly impressed for tomorrow as I haven't slept well the last few nights, so need to tonight or I'll be worse than useless tomorrow!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Quietly busy day today. Five pastoral visits, managed to sort out some visitation rights I hope, transferred a parishioners ancient iPad onto a newer one. Visited a widow I've helped over the past year and then a lovely lady whose dementia is starting to kick in. She knows who I am, but my name simply escapes her. At least she is happy and content. Back to collect wife from work, did some shopping and we found a dogs toy for our hound that was nicked by the fox a couple of months ago. Get home, show toy to dog and she is racing around the garden like a loon with the toy. Lovely to see. Pizza for dinner and now I am uploading the Sunday Exodus series sermon to YouTube church channel.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:36 pm Wrote a T-SQL query to create a five tier hierarchy of GL codes for a P&L PowerBI dashboard.

For someone who knows what they are doing it's probably pretty simple, but required some out of the box thinking from myself. I'm now feeling rather smug.
Good going, it is easy when you know how but can be difficult to get your head around.
I think it's like VBA, much better to teach a business guy to code it than teach a coder the business. My usual problem is business people don't understand the question they are asking me, it frustrates me as if they thought about the question properly they could probably answer it themselves.
Still, those stupid questions pay my mortgage and leave me time to solve more interesting problems.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mussels wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:06 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:36 pm Wrote a T-SQL query to create a five tier hierarchy of GL codes for a P&L PowerBI dashboard.

For someone who knows what they are doing it's probably pretty simple, but required some out of the box thinking from myself. I'm now feeling rather smug.
Good going, it is easy when you know how but can be difficult to get your head around.
I think it's like VBA, much better to teach a business guy to code it than teach a coder the business. My usual problem is business people don't understand the question they are asking me, it frustrates me as if they thought about the question properly they could probably answer it themselves.
Still, those stupid questions pay my mortgage and leave me time to solve more interesting problems.
I'm a very lucky/long term support/infrastructure monkey, not a dev. I've created web apps using asp.net with VB code (it's far easier for luddites like me than C#), like with SQL, I have no training in either. I know what I want to do and use logic and google to do the rest.

I've managed to write a suite of dashboards in PowerBI to replace PHOCAS, so we now pay £92(ish) for PBI licenses a month rather than £1200. My FD loves me!

I'd look like a bumkin in proper larger companies, but in the type of places I like to work they think I'm great.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Shoulda used ChatGPT :thumbup:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:27 pm Shoulda used ChatGPT :thumbup:
I was so looking forward to using that as I'd read it was great for coding. Turns out it's only good at simple stuff easily found with Google. The biggest problem I found with it was it will sound incredibly confident while it gives the wrong answer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mussels wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:33 pm Turns out it's only good at simple stuff easily found with Google.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Tinkered with the ZRX11 in the garage: I bought a bag of rather spiffy stainless M6 & M8 flange nuts that have a glossy black finish. Used 4 of the M8's on the lower triple clamp pinch bolts, will be using 8 more on the header clamps. Probably find a few more spots for them.
I think they were sold for furniture makers rather than automotive use.

Pottered about the garage rounding up tools & putting them away.

Still no call to pick up my new toolbox.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Drove home from Manchester (shudder) after watching this fella last night.
Decided I really really do not like cities.
Wondered why folk pay vast sums of money to go to a concert and the watch more than half of it through their phone screen whilst recording :angry-cussingblack: .

ImagePXL_20231017_200857034.MP by MrLongbeard, on Flickr
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:04 pm Drove home from Manchester (shudder) after watching this fella last night.
Decided I really really do not like cities.
Wondered why folk pay vast sums of money to go to a concert and the watch more than half of it through their phone screen whilst recording :angry-cussingblack: .

ImagePXL_20231017_200857034.MP by MrLongbeard, on Flickr
Luke Combs, never heard of him.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

More what I plan to do later rather than wot I dun...

Go to see the 40th anniversary version of Jonathan Demme's concert film of Talking Heads 'Stop Making Sense' at Sheffield Showroom.

Has to be done.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

SORN'd my camper. :(
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Started work early so I finished early. Took the opportunity of dry roads to head down to the valley to get a prescription and see a friend.

Bloody lovely ride down - no idea why it was so different, but I got to Jess' shop with a grin a mile wide :D :D :D

I'd put on the Shoei to go down as it has a clear visor and the weather looked to be going cloudy. The bonus to that was that it has a different shaped front which makes it easier to 'hide' from the low sun!!! (It didn't go cloudy at all :roll: ). Weird, but even with the dark visor on the Arai, riding back up the hill has been a challenge as it's always late afternoon. Best save up for a dark visor for the Shoei!! :D :D And remember to put some electrical tape on the Arai dark visor!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must be riding better as my arm is somewhat grumpy now (and made some serious grumpy feelings when coming home) but that's so very worth it :D

Had a little play on the N90 from Bourg to Aime - I was going to put up a map of the road the other day, but it just doesn't show how bendy and flowing it is. But it's worth going the extra few miles to Aime instead of turning off to take the back road :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Got home from work to be told wife has booked a holiday. We are off 2 Madeira in 2 weeks time :thumbup:
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Not strictly today, but just back, so…

Had to go to N Derry coast quickly for a family thing, so did the sums. A) Fly Newquay to Belfast, hire car for 3 days, fly back. Total cost £180 ish. Or…B) take the bike.
B, obv. Left Cornwall Friday am, monsoon up A30/M5, miles and miles of filtering through stationary traffic, then dry M4, then up through Wales (monsoon again). Birkenhead ferry overnight, then monsoon Belfast to N coast by main road for speed. Stayed till Monday, then up the coast road, including Torr Head, for those that know, to Belfast. Absolutely glorious. Never seen Scotland looking so clear and so close. Stunning. Back down through Wales, Wye valley etc, a bit windy on the A30 and home Tuesday 3pm. 935 miles. Rain? Pah! - waterproofs. Filtering for miles? Pah! - good practice. Conclusion? Well worth it. Others may disagree…
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Went to my local high street.

>shudder<

I have now given up all hope for the future of mankind.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

gremlin wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:50 pm Went to my local high street.

>shudder<

I have now given up all hope for the future of mankind.
You still have a High Street. We now have a promenade beside the empty shops, so the druggies/ drunks can exercise their attack dogs.

You seriously do not want to visit our local town centre.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!