Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Felix wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:02 pm Wonder if one caught fire at Luton Airport?
I saw this mentioned on LinkedIn - the same article immediately pointed out that the charging points are in the other car park, not the one which caught fire! We shall see.

In other LinkedIn news, Tesla are doing quite well. Their model Y is looking like it might be the best selling car of 2023.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ompetition
Stig

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Stig »

For three years I had a Tesla. I’ll never own an EV again so long as I can get fuel
Horse

Post by Horse »

Slenver wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:07 pm
Felix wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:02 pm Wonder if one caught fire at Luton Airport?
A diesel car apparently. Which is no great surprise seeing as petrol cars are 60x more likely to catch fire then EVs, supposedly.
Supposedly a LR Evoque
20231012_093108.jpg
20231012_093108.jpg (110.01 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

A diesel car apparently. Which is no great surprise seeing as petrol cars are 60x more likely to catch fire then EVs, supposedly.
Petrol might not be a surprise but diesel is.
People are far too quick to blame/exonerate EVs, this is an unusual event and the impact of EVs needs to be checked. If EVs make fires spread faster then it could make many car parks unsafe.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:34 am
Supposedly a LR Evoque

20231012_093108.jpg
The owner had probably done the £500 deal with KungFooBob. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

It's been many years since I've been up close to oil fires but this doesn't look right.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:43 pm It's been many years since I've been up close to oil fires but this doesn't look right.
No proof what caused it, so no point in getting upset.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Yorick wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:54 pm No proof what caused it, so no point in getting upset.
The fire brigade chief has been quoted as saying it was a diesel fire, my upset is them making uninformed statements.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:33 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:54 pm No proof what caused it, so no point in getting upset.
The fire brigade chief has been quoted as saying it was a diesel fire, my upset is them making uninformed statements.
The report I saw said it was a diesel car fire.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Wasn't there some scaremongering about some of the ferry companies considering banning EVs for this very reason?
cheb

Post by cheb »

G.P wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:45 pm Wasn't there some scaremongering about some of the ferry companies considering banning EVs for this very reason?
This one: https://www.energystoragejournal.com/bl ... erry-line/
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mussels wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:16 am
Petrol might not be a surprise but diesel is.
People are far too quick to blame/exonerate EVs, this is an unusual event and the impact of EVs needs to be checked. If EVs make fires spread faster then it could make many car parks unsafe.
There's also the weight to take in to account. A lot of multi-story car parks were built in the 70s and 80s when cars were quite often well under 1000kg. Modern electric cars are 2 tonne and more.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:33 pm
Well, the diesel probably did catch fire at some point!

I'm surprised the Fire Brigade Chief is making statements like that if he's not referencing the report of the forensic fire people (who may well still be investigating).

Didn't a whole shipload of battery cars go up in smoke recently? Was it Boeing that had a few issues too. Oh, and try posting something with Li-ion batteries in.

When we were doing even the early stuff with smart meters we had to get them from the factory in Slovenia to the UK on land/water as you couldn't air freight them because of the batteries and that was a good few years ago.

An acquaintance was a partner in a business that designed and made battery packs on wheels for car showrooms etc (something about displaying cars with lights on and power to displays etc rather than running them on internal batteries). The company doesn’t/ exist any more but I don't know if that's to do with the BMW dealership that was razed to the ground when one of their units got 'a bit frisky'. Oops.
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yet most people are content to walk around with a Lion battery in their pocket.

[There must be a 'pleased to see me?' gag in that somehow]
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:32 pm Yet most people are content to walk around with a Lion battery in their pocket.

[There must be a 'pleased to see me?' gag in that somehow]
In their pocket? Most people seem to walk around (and under buses) staring at them. :lol:

(Chucking them at the floor, dodgy replacement batteries, overnight fast charging and malware seem to be the main problems with phone battery flaming sepukku but even then, it's not a common thing).
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yorick wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:54 pm
Mussels wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:43 pm It's been many years since I've been up close to oil fires but this doesn't look right.
No proof what caused it, so no point in getting upset.
They know which car started it so can find the owner.
Think of the insurance claim.
Maybe 1,000 cars at £10k = 10 million. Oooh. And the cost of the car park.
He'll probably lose his no claims and have a heavy loading next year :obscene-birdiedoublered:
cheb

Post by cheb »

As I've probably said before, think how little you pay for your insurance compared to what the insurers might have to pay out.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

cheb wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:03 pm As I've probably said before, think how little you pay for your insurance compared to what the insurers might have to pay out.
This will be right up there with most expensive claims.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

cheb wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:03 pm As I've probably said before, think how little you pay for your insurance compared to what the insurers might have to pay out.
I never understand here why people refuse to pay top up health insurance. 30% of the costs 'can be' a TON of money. I've never actually looked into what the insurance covered for my shoulder - not just the op, but 5 months rehab, physio 2-3 times a week for years, various scans, various other appointments, then the second rehab etc etc. I'd not have the use of my arm if I'd had to pay 30% of all that!! And it cost me 37€ a month (now up to 42€ but that's due to age, not history!!! :lol: )

For vehicles, I do try and get the least expensive, but like you said, it's not just how much the vehicle that is insured costs to fix, it's everything else!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Roughly how much is the top up health insurance?

I try to avoid any of the optional insurances, based on how infrequently I would have claimed versus the savings of repeated 'Only £8.99 per month sir' blandishments. I've never lost a bunch of keys nor a phone for example. The only exception is when hiring a car, I have all the bells and whistles on that one.