Chinese bikes

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Re: Chinese bikes

Post by The Spin Doctor »

You've got me tempted now ;) Nice complement to my 1980 CB250RS :)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:10 pm Just been reading the MCN review (it's rubbish) and the owners' comments (it's great) about the Voge Rally 300. Certainly seems to have ticked a few users' boxes even if the reviewer seemed to want to hate it from the outset.
I was just about to post the same thing. I'd watched a couple of Crosshair's vids (nice work), watched the Nathan the postman vid at 7k miles and then read the MCN review and wondered if they were all talking about the same bike. MCN make it sound like an absolute pile of shite. But then the owner reviews are 4.5 out of 5. They really do make it sound like MCN got a bad one or the reviewer is out of step with the owners by a long way.
Crosshair

Post by Crosshair »

Obviously the conspiracy theory is that Honda have paid them to slate it 🤣😉

It is geared low as stock so some of the criticism is valid but adding a 15t front (£9 and a bit of grinding on the chain catcher) or dropping the rear 3 teeth and shortening the chain and the bike is transformed into a real all rounder. And as a short-range off roader I'd say it was set up perfectly already. Knowledgable folks who have actually ridden both bikes say the Voge rides way better than the Honda and the crux of their review is that it doesn't.

It's interesting that my mate who is tempted to swap out his Speed Triple for an ADV or Dual Sport won't even test ride a Voge purely on self-confessed snobbery grounds so I wonder if some people just can't see past that.
I think it's bonkers that he would rather buy a 7 year old CRF L 🤯
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Crosshair wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:45 am Obviously the conspiracy theory is that Honda have paid them to slate it 🤣😉

It is geared low as stock so some of the criticism is valid but adding a 15t front (£9 and a bit of grinding on the chain catcher) or dropping the rear 3 teeth and shortening the chain and the bike is transformed into a real all rounder. And as a short-range off roader I'd say it was set up perfectly already. Knowledgable folks who have actually ridden both bikes say the Voge rides way better than the Honda and the crux of their review is that it doesn't.

It's interesting that my mate who is tempted to swap out his Speed Triple for an ADV or Dual Sport won't even test ride a Voge purely on self-confessed snobbery grounds so I wonder if some people just can't see past that.
If I was after a D/S or ADV bike I'd seriously consider the Voge.
The comments on this thread regarding MCN,show why press reviews lost all credibility with me many years ago.I think owners reviews are far more valid,especially if long term owners reviews are available.
Getting people like your Speed Triple owning mate to buy a Voge is probably more of a long term goal,but there's a big market out there for real world good value bikes as Enfield have proven.
For me ,I'd be looking at how good the dealer support network is & what the spares supply is like.
Crosshair

Post by Crosshair »

Yeah, nobody has really commented on dealer back up. Obviously most of the network are established budget type outlets.
I got mine from motorbikesforall.co.uk and the only issue was they built it with one side stand spring (it comes with two). But they shipped one out as soon as I mentioned it.

Parts are dirt cheap and so far everything I’ve wanted has been in stock on MotoGB’s website and shipped straight away.

People have been ordering spare panels ready for off road damage, levers, cables and one guy broke a chain guard etc and everyone is finding the same at the minute.

Long term is obvs pot luck right now but I guess the best way to secure its future is for more people to take a punt.

I was musing about trail bike depreciation too. Apart from Himmy’s (which aren’t really the same sort of bike) there is almost nothing, of basically any age, kicking around for sub £3k.
So if the Voge continues to be good, I think what’s more likely is new prices going up than second hand being anywhere close to the minus £1500-1800 that 3 years with a brand new CRF 300 rally would seem to be going to cost you.

On the flip side- if a 3 year old s/h Voge **is** going to be a £2000 bike- that’s a game changer for the market as it will open up Trail riding to a ton of people.
The Spin Doctor

Crosshair wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:45 amVoge rides way better than the Honda and the crux of their review is that it doesn't.

I'm sure there are some of us here who are mature enough to remember some of our peers swearing blind they'd never ride a Japanese machine...

I turned up at field studies centre in my first year at uni, and one of the guys * who'd also ridden there on his Norton (an ES2 if I remember right) sneered at me and my little Honda 125. He simply refused to talk to me ;)

Plus ca change

* Mind you, later that week after three or four for the ditch, he threw it into a hedge on A272 between Midhurst and Rogate.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Crosshair

Post by Crosshair »

🤣🤣🤣 yeah it’s time for the truly universal UCM 🇨🇳 🤣
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've lived in Barnsley for 12 years. Bennetts are my local 'franchised' dealer (MV, Benelli, etc...), I visited once maybe 10 years ago to look at a 2nd hand R1 and was annoyed at their dis-interest and haven't been back since... that might change as I just spotted on Friendface that they're now a Voge dealer and have 300 Rallye demo bikes :)
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-09-29 203114.png
Screenshot 2023-09-29 203114.png (1.62 MiB) Viewed 530 times
Crosshair

Post by Crosshair »

I guess ‘trust your instincts’ is all I’d say. If you think it’s good then you’re right and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
If you ride it and find nothing but flaws then I’m not sure it getting a bit smoother once it wears in or lengthening the gearing will transform it that much.

I suppose the brakes are the one area where they have gotten significantly better / I’ve gotten used to using them properly and now the Michelin Trackers, not the brakes are the limiting factor.

I test rode a blue and white at Biketreads before I bought one so thought that was what I wanted. But then I did think I preferred the black with subtle yellow rim tape when I rode with James (guy from FB).
But then I’m pretty sure I always think everyone else’s version of everything is better than where my procrastinations lead me 🤣🤣
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Crosshair wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:09 pm I guess ‘trust your instincts’ is all I’d say. If you think it’s good then you’re right and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
If you ride it and find nothing but flaws then I’m not sure it getting a bit smoother once it wears in or lengthening the gearing will transform it that much.

I suppose the brakes are the one area where they have gotten significantly better / I’ve gotten used to using them properly and now the Michelin Trackers, not the brakes are the limiting factor.

I test rode a blue and white at Biketreads before I bought one so thought that was what I wanted. But then I did think I preferred the black with subtle yellow rim tape when I rode with James (guy from FB).
But then I’m pretty sure I always think everyone else’s version of everything is better than where my procrastinations lead me 🤣🤣
I missed you’d got a Voge rally. I’ve been looking at them as I did enjoy my Honda 250 rally and have been on the look for a 300 version but they are all £5k+. Maybe I need to go try one.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I think I might wait to see what the new 452 Himmy is like first.
matt

Post by matt »

No harm in going for a test ride and letting us know your thoughts.
I went to Jones and alcock in Stafford in the week to have a look at the Voge, they have been Enfield dealers for years , I asked about the 450 and the shop owner said he thinks it will be April- ish before he gets them and is guessing they'll be about £5500.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:32 pm ... that might change as I just spotted on Friendface that they're now a Voge dealer and have 300 Rallye demo bikes :)
Same at Bill Smith in Chester (the one nearer the centre). Yamaha has gone & they stock Voge now. The Honda dealership in Crewe is no longer Honda but Voge, Benelli, RE etc.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

There's a comparison test with the CRF Rallaye in this month's Trail mag- they really rated it, particularly suspension compared to the Honda's
Only bit they didn't like was vibes when cruising above 60 mph ( it did 82 flat out FWIW)

Crosshair

Post by Crosshair »

Yeah the gearing change sorts that out. (Although I missed the 14 in wales today). And it smooths out after 1000 miles too.

You get no more speed though- 28hp in an upright position still only buys 80. It’s just 800rpm quieter/more efficient.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
porter_jamie

Post by porter_jamie »

Tricky wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:30 am There's a comparison test with the CRF Rallaye in this month's Trail mag- they really rated it, particularly suspension compared to the Honda's
Only bit they didn't like was vibes when cruising above 60 mph ( it did 82 flat out FWIW)

What is that magazine called?
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

porter_jamie wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:16 pm
Tricky wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:30 am There's a comparison test with the CRF Rallaye in this month's Trail mag- they really rated it, particularly suspension compared to the Honda's

What is that magazine called?
It is actually called " Trail"- it's the quarterly mag you get through the post included with TRF membership, so not on the shelves anywhere- actually is usually a decent read and not just mindless content-free woffle from membership secretaries, that often these sort of org's (mentioning no names) printed stuff can be
porter_jamie

Post by porter_jamie »

I was thinking of joining actually so might do that.
The Spin Doctor

Yamaha and CFMoto have just formed a joint enterprise to manufacture motorcycles... no real news about what the plans are, but seeing as CFMoto have close ties with Pierer (AKA KTM, Husqvarna, GasGas) it will be interesting to see how that pans out.