Are you set in your ways or do you flit about in manufacturers, styles, types ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Are you set in your ways or do you flit about in manufacturers, styles, types ?

Post by weeksy »

This came up in a discussion on the KTM forum, where i post a bit too.

I've owned.
990 Superduke
950SM
950SMR
990SD
990SD
950SM
990SD
950SMR
690D
690D
950SM
990SDR
690D

Throughout the years, which is clearly a basis on a theme. I don't actually recall the last time i never owned a KTM, i think it may have been 2015-16 at PEmbey when i had a blue R1.. But i'm clearly both a naked bike fan and a KTM fan for some reason. I've owned plenty of others in between, some naked, many sportsbikes... but i struggle to see myself owning something other than a KTM these days.
Dodgy69

Re: Are you set in your ways or do you flit about in manufacturers, styles, types ?

Post by Dodgy69 »

I have no loyalty anymore, I go with what fits my wishes. I've bounced around various brands, always gone for something a little different but this can have it's problems Buell comes to mind immediately.

Does depend on the number of bikes you own, therefore being able to play risky. But for me, single bike owner, I have 4 main boxes.

Like the looks,
Comfortable,
Enough go,
Low maintenance,

Brand new, old stock Tracer 900 it was, but one day I'll fancy a change.
Yamaha rocket 3
cheb

Re: Are you set in your ways or do you flit about in manufacturers, styles, types ?

Post by cheb »

No one manufacturer, but I have settled on supermoto or sit and beg styles as they suit my build.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Nothing younger that 35 years old in my garage these days. In the past I have had pretty much every type of bike from moped to supersports with no real allegiance to any single manufacturer, but now, for the first time, I'm a member of a club... the Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club
G.P

Post by G.P »

I've bought 4 Ducatis in the last 8 or 9 years and still own 3 of them so I suppose that says something.

Depending on what my needs are, I'll go to any Manufacturer excepting Aprilia - got put off by a Pegaso and the availability of parts many years ago :)

I've got a Guzzi itch I want to scratch at some point and also an old twin shock Trailie, Probably a Honda XR that i see in my future too.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I have very definite views about the way a motorcycle has to look for me to buy it, not too bothered about manufacturer though.
Honda Owner
Horse

Post by Horse »

From the other thread:
Horse wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:25 pm Honda
CB175
400F
CX500

Guzzi
V50

BMW
R65 (1981 - that will only be significant to those who know how many versions there were ::) )
R100RT
K100RT
K100LT
K100LT
K75RT
R850RT (a rarity in the UK. Grey import for DVA as an examiner bike. For sale, spares or repair, if anyone's interested)

Plus a CZ175 roadie and most of a 175 trailie. Bought to do up, sold untouched.
Shaft? Tick
Tourer? Tick
Twin? Tickish
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Anything other than sportsbikes are fair game.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Despite my history, I have no allegiance.
As an instructor I needed a litre sports bike. The GSXR was always at least 2 grand cheaper than the competitors, and they were no faster in the real world.
I saved a few Bob over the 6 bought in UK.

This one I bought coz it's the MotoGP replica and the missus told me to buy it :mrgreen:

But I wouldn't buy a KTM Enduro bike. Luckily there is the Husqvarna ;)
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

How a bike makes me feel is pretty much THE single factor in my decision in which bikes to buy- this single factor distills down to two elements- either the riding experience/fun-factor or how it looks, (or on some occasions both together)
That over-rides ( ;) ) everything else, I have absolutely no allegiance or otherwise to any manufacturer and will consider anything, whatever badge is on the tank.
Yorick wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:50 pm Despite my history, I have no allegiance.
As an instructor I needed a litre sports bike. The GSXR was always at least 2 grand cheaper than the competitors, and they were no faster in the real world.
I saved a few Bob over the 6 bought in UK.

This one I bought coz it's the MotoGP replica and the missus told me to buy it :mrgreen:

But I wouldn't buy a KTM Enduro bike. Luckily there is the Husqvarna ;)
Which these days are very different bikes than they were 10 or more years ago , and of course now, Husqvarnas are simply KTMs with a different frock on, so you have in fact bought a KTM - congratulations and welcome to the cool-kids gang :thumbup:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yamaha two strokes, but other than that I don't have any preferences.
I raced a KTM motocross bike but that was because I didn't like aluminium beam frames and preferred the flex of a steel frame, so when I got rid of my 1996 CR250 there wasn't much choice other than KTM's.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I dont have any real loyalties to a brand or style as i have had tourers when i was young as a courier bike along with sports bikes. From my late 20's to 40's i had sports bikes and then late 40's i switched to ADV style bike with a GS1150. After that were 2 Multistradas so i am guessing thats my only constant in the last 9 or 10 years

I like the sportsbike perfomance of the Multi with the upright comfort rather than dropped bars and rearsets ;)
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Not exactly set on manufacturers but I do like long production runs.
Often means spares are simpler to get hold of.

Exclusivity has its additional costs.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

I tend to like 'practical' bikes, I ended up with the Rockster 16 years ago because I took an objective look at the riding I was doing (and expected to do over the next few years) and decided I wanted something I could maintain easily, and do a lot of miles on with little fuss. I could have ended up on a Pan Euro, but after riding the Mirth for several winters and on the Devon Tours I realised I also really liked naked or semi-naked bikes with a sit-up riding position.

One ride on the Rockster and I was sold.

16 years later and I'm still sold.

I also like road-oriented bikes with quirky tech - I'd be incredibly tempted by a Yamaha GTS1000 if I found one in good nick, but they're bloody rare.
non quod, sed quomodo
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

I tend to come back to supermoto style stuff but I must like the look of them.
I made an exception with the 790 Duke, I never really liked the look of it but got swept up with the positive reviews I think. The looks were probably one of the reasons I didn’t gel with it.
Druid

Post by Druid »

A flirtation with an R1 a couple of years ago persuaded me that sportsbikes were too uncomfortable for me any longer.

So handlebars and an upright riding position it is then. The last few bikes I've owned have been

Ducati Monster
MV Agusta Brutale
Aprilia Dorsoduro
Triumph Speed Triple

so no allegiance to a particular manufacturer, the absence of Japanese manufacturers is a reflection of my antipathy to IL4 engines more than anything else. The Dorsoduro was my favourite out of the above but the stupidly small tank and consequent lack of range was a major flaw.
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

I definitely am swayed by both looks and price.

Not been without a bike for 49 years. Had too many to remember.
Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph and BMW.
First bike was my college commute, Honda C90. Followed by two Suzuki Hustlers and then various cheap small bikes as we saved to get married and buy a house. Then a nearly new CX500. Family, mortgage etc and I was back to cheap and cheerful.
As things improved financially so did my bikes. I enjoyed many Triumphs, the best was my speedy. A few sports bikes and big BMW, now happy with my F800R.

One day I'll try to make a proper list. It's a shame that DVLA can't give me a list of all vehicles registered in my name. That would be amazing.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Buckaroo wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:47 am Followed by two Suzuki Hustlers
I passed my test on a Hustler. It belonged to my mate who lent it to me because my Honda CB250 wouldn't start :roll:
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

They were a pretty good bike for the time. Air cooled two stroke, so good for one blast before needing to cool down again. Apparently the first six speed on the market.
I have some pictures, will see if I can find them.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

I'm set in my ways, and only ever ride a Batbike.