NBT: I've bought a Honda!

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: NBT: I've bought a Honda!

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Bustaspoke wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:16 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:35 pm it does show average speed, which is probably best not used, as I'll be doing laps of the same route and trying to up my average speed.
My JDM FZ750 has a red light on the clocks that comes on at approx 55mph.Apparently it's the Japaneses speed limit,I used to try & keep the light on around some of the locxl twisties :D
I had a JDM 1985 GSXR750 with one of those, I took the bulb out after about a week of owning the bike because it hardly ever went off.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Sport mode on the Honda tonight, feck me, it's even faster, it wheelies with little provocation, in 2nd gear.

The reduced engine braking in Sport mode makes it a lot smoother, and it has a nice pink light to tell you you're in psycho mode, despite it saying SPORT on the dash.

Brakes feel better with a bit of use, they were sharp but lacked power, now they seem fine, but it could just be me getting used to it.

The headlight is okay, but not fantastic, it doesn't light up the road in front of the bike enough for me, I like to see gravel in the road before I hit it, it's not a big issue as I rarely ride at night.

Did I mention that it's feckin fast, properly pull your arms out fast.
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Sounds rubbish. Joking.

Imagine how fast and great handling a proper modern sports bike must be!

I don't know, the newest 'Superbike' I've ridden in anger was a K5 GSXR1000.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:21 pm Sounds rubbish. Joking.

I wonder about this, mine is the most power I've ever had. And it's 50+ horses down on the top dogs.

Saying that on mine things start getting blurry when you get lairy with it and my brain struggles to keep up as I'm not used to it anymore.
Le_Fromage_Grande

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:21 pm Sounds rubbish. Joking.

Yeah but only old people who've retired to sunnier climes ride sports bikes, us middle aged hooligans like to go naked (actually I prefer Pooh Bearing)
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Oh yeah, it drinks petrol, I'm getting 43mpg, my car can manage that.
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:33 pm Oh yeah, it drinks petrol, I'm getting 43mpg, my car can manage that.
Stop taking it over 3krpm!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Where's the fun in that?

I'm not sure if I've been anywhere near the redline yet, if I have it was in 3rd, which was a silly speed, but cars need passing.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't need much encouragement to ride like a twat.
Honda Owner
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:47 pm IMG_20230904_172817_(900_x_2000_pixel).jpg

Mine, all mine, picked it up this afternoon (got the afternoon off for getting paid £900 to watch little blue bars go across a screen at the weekend)

Probably the best motorcycle I've ever ridden, the suspension is superb, especially the forks, it handles beautifully, it's one of those bikes that you feel like you can just lean until something scrapes, it's slower steering than the GSXS750 I traded in for it, but handles better for it, it feels like a 4 cylinder Supermoto. The forks feel a bit soft, and they dive like an Italian footballer when you brake, it may need a bit more compression damping to solve this, but I'll wait until I'm used to it. It may need a bit more low speed compression damping on the rear, but I don't think the shock has adjustable compression damping.

It's fecking fast, like 98 R1 fast, the engine is not as smooth as the Suzuki, but it's bigger and has only done a fifth of the miles, so it might be a little tight, or it might just be how Honda have set the power up in Standard mode, I may reduce the engine braking to make it a bit smoother. At 4000rpm you can here the air being sucked into the air box, it sounds like wind blowing through a hole, maybe an air box flap opens.

The dash was better on the Suzuki, the information you needed was easier to see, like how much fuel is left, the Honda puts this near the rev counter and it's not obvious, but I prefer the rev counter display on the Honda.

Comfort, it's comfortable for longer than the Suzuki, but once it gets uncomfortable, it's really uncomfortable. The little screen works quite well, but I may fit something a bit bigger. Handlebars are wider than the Suzuki, probably about the same height once you're riding as the rear shock squats more than the Suzuki.

The brakes feel very sharp, but they're no better than the Suzukis, maybe not as good for actual stopping power, but there's nothing wrong with them.

And I can park in a disabled space because I'm a bit of a Spaz

And it's feckin loud at low speed, really throaty noise

The best way to get rid of those chicken strips is to gan it reet over. :thumbup:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It's not a bad reg either. You should be able to remember that when the five-o pull you over, even at your age.

AVR(2)O the Great British aircraft manufacturer, MR X (the big bad from Resident Evil 2).
Le_Fromage_Grande

I thought the previous owner might be called Mark (MRX = Marks) but it was owned by someone who's name began with I.

I nearly started calling it Xavier the Honda, and then remembered I'm a bloke, and blokes don't name vehicles.
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:02 pm I nearly started calling it Xavier the Honda, and then remembered I'm a bloke, and blokes don't name vehicles.
Or 'ride' blokes?

It would have to be Xena, or something.... now you've got me thinking of Lucy Lawless' tits.
Le_Fromage_Grande

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:05 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:02 pm I nearly started calling it Xavier the Honda, and then remembered I'm a bloke, and blokes don't name vehicles.
Or 'ride' blokes?

It would have to be Xena, or something.... now you've got me thinking of Lucy Lawless' tits.
Scissoring with Gabrielle while Callista watches?
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:39 pm
Or 'ride' blokes?

Scissoring with Gabrielle while Callista watches?
Callisto.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Or 'ride' blokes?

Which had starring roles when she played Lucretia in the Starz series 'Spartacus: Blood and Sand'. I never knew so many gladiators were Australians or that John Hannah would be so short of job offers he had to appear in such tosh. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:47 pm I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't need much encouragement to ride like a twat.
That's my problem.I had to stop commuting on the Street Triple as at 05.15 in the morning the roads were empty & I kept getting 'enthusiastic'.
I fancy a big Jap four again,but the only one that I think I could behave myself on would be a Z900RS,(You've just ruled out the Honda for me)...
Le_Fromage_Grande

I'm up to over 250 miles on it now, not bad for 3 evening rides, went to a bike night last night and it got lots of comments about how good it looked, my 64 year old colleague likes how it looks, and the real seal of approval, both my teenage children have made unsolicited comments that it looks good.

I've also come to the conclusion that no tyres grip on roads that are both shiny and bumpy, maybe I should stop using them when I can.
Honda Owner
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:56 pm both my teenage children have made unsolicited comments that it looks good.
:thumbup:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Bustaspoke wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:02 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:47 pm I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't need much encouragement to ride like a twat.
That's my problem.I had to stop commuting on the Street Triple as at 05.15 in the morning the roads were empty & I kept getting 'enthusiastic'.
I fancy a big Jap four again,but the only one that I think I could behave myself on would be a Z900RS,(You've just ruled out the Honda for me)...
What about the air cooled CB1100 ?
Honda Owner
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Good sugestion,but being a Yamaha fanboi,if I go down the big air cooled four route I think I'll end up with a XJR1300SP.One of my mate's has had a few XJR's over the years,in fact he's got one at the momment,I'll have to have a word with him.